Vacuum recommendations

WVMomof3

DIS Veteran
I desperately need a new vacuum and for some reason can not decide on one. I have read too many reviews and at this point I just need to commit to something. I have the Shark lift away (purple one) and my hoses are duct taped and now the bottom does not suck at all. Not sure what happened to it, but I just vacuumed my house with the tiny hose. Not fun! There are a bazillion different shark models and a bazillion different Dyson models not to mention all the others out there. Any you recommend? Any you hate?

We recently ( about 3-4 months ago) got one of the Dyson Cordless ones. It was a QVC Special of the day. Bought through them as they have a 30 day money back guarantee on everything. So, if I did not like it I could send it back. Was very unsure at first. (had a Oreck forever). But I really like it. DH put an outlet in the closet so it hangs in there. So easy to take out and go and the amount of dog hair that comes up everyday is amazing. The only negative thing is that you only have about 9 minutes of charge. So, sometimes I am not able to do the entire house all in one shot. But I love not having to deal with the cords and lugging heavy vacuums around.

I desperately need a new vacuum and for some reason can not decide on one. I have read too many reviews and at this point I just need to commit to something. I have the Shark lift away (purple one) and my hoses are duct taped and now the bottom does not suck at all. Not sure what happened to it, but I just vacuumed my house with the tiny hose. Not fun! There are a bazillion different shark models and a bazillion different Dyson models not to mention all the others out there. Any you recommend? Any you hate?

Right now I hate all of them!!

I have a cheap hoover which will do hard floors and low pile carpet. An electrolux which will do the higher pile shag area rug. And a stick vacuum (Electrolux) which is quick to pick up the flying birdseed from my 2 cockatiels - birds are so messy! I keep it plugged in near them, ready to go as that is every day cleaning. It also has a detachable handheld unit that I use to quickly clean part of the cages.

All of them get hair tangled up on the rollers and have to be taken apart and cut out - daughters and babies all have long hair plus pet hair. Plus on the Hoovers, the belts stretch and need replacing for maybe $3-$4. I just hand a screwdriver to my son for that.

Daughter has had a Dyson - my Hoover ($69) did a better job. She then got that robot thing which rolls around by itself. I see she now has 2 hoovers (cheap ones) one for upstairs and one for downstairs. She has hard floors and area rugs on the main level and berber in the family room downstairs, plus hard floors in the rest of it.

I don't think there is a good answer. Depends on what your flooring is. I've gotten rid of most of the wall to wall except one bedroom upstairs and it's time is limited. Hard floors are just easier to maintain, whether it be hardwood, tile or pergo type stuff.

Ugh, vacuums...I'm in the 'hate them all' camp! My third Dyson in 12 years just became unusable. My first one lasted 7 years and I loved it. Last two have each only lasted 2.5 years with the last year of their life not really working well. I bought a Shark recently. Might be the 'lift away'. It's working great right now but I find using the tools really awkward compared to my old Dysons. It's picking up much better though.

I guess I just need to pick one and go for it. I am looking at the Shark duo clean because I like that you can clean the rollers so easily. But then I just read it is best for no carpeting. I have a both wood and carpet. Ughhh I just cant decide! I don't want more than one. My friend that has the cordless dyson really likes it, but that dirt cup looks so tiny. And I would hate to run out of charge.

Shark.

Shark.

Shark.

Shark.

Did I mention Shark??? Seriously, these are the best vacuums in existence. I have 4 of them. I'm obsessed. They clean so well, have amazing customer service and they stand behind their 5 year warranty. I want to collect them all...

Shark.

Shark.

Shark.

Shark.

Did I mention Shark??? Seriously, these are the best vacuums in existence. I have 4 of them. I'm obsessed. They clean so well, have amazing customer service and they stand behind their 5 year warranty. I want to collect them all...

If you had to pick only one which would it be?

I am happy with our Shark. If it went out I would consider another Shark or Dyson. I use mine on our wood floors to get dust balls along the baseboards and sometimes on the floors themselves. The only rooms with carpet are the kids rooms.

Got a Dyson several years ago. It's yellow and says DC33 on it. I really love it. Didn't at first because it just didn't suck well but it turned out I didn't hve all the compartments snapped in securely and once I did that it was great. Only negative is the hose with attachments for doing stairs, sofa and car. It's kinda awkward with the long pole and when I take it off nad just use the hose it's a tad too short.

I've had a Dyson for 14 years that works great though I've had to replace a couple of parts and it's currently held together in one spot with duct tape. I'm looking at getting the Dyson multi floor origin vacuum next.

I just bought a cordless Dyson stick vacuum and it's been great so far. Great for doing multiple rooms. I no longer have to plug and unplug when moving from room to room as it's battery powered. Also bought it from Costco as their return policy can't be beat.

There was an Ask Me Anything on reddit a while ago (I'm sure you can still find it through searching) with a vacuum repairman and he basically said that although you pay a high premium with Dyson, they work hard to make their customers happy as far as warranty repair work is concerned.

Sebo, Miele and Riccar are supposed to be the best vacuums money can buy you, but are much more than any Dyson.

Good luck!

I’d vote for Dyson. I have a Dyson animal ...the big purple one and have been using it for 12 years. I’ve replaced a couple of parts but it does a great job. I also have the cordless Dyson animal. I’m not a fan of that one and I don’t think it’s worth the money. I like the cordless function but honestly it smells like my dog. I use it mostly on wood floors, I don’t think it would do carpet very well. I have a Shark at my other home. It’s good enough especially based on the cost difference between the Dyson and the shark but if I had a house full of carpet, I’d definitely go with the Dyson.

I have an old kenmore canister. Works just fine and I have no problem with hair wrapping around it.

We had a Dyson for years. We were never really crazy about it. Just recently replaced it with a Shark Rotator Lift away and the difference is unbelievable.

I have a Shark Professional- Rotator Lift away and LOVE it! (if loving vacuums is a thing! :))

Had to make a quick decision - after looking at vacuums for over a year when I first duct taped the hoses lol. Picked up the Shark Duoclean from Sams this morning. The bigger one, not the stick. Will let everyone know how I like it.

We had a Dyson for years. We were never really crazy about it. Just recently replaced it with a Shark Rotator Lift away and the difference is unbelievable.

A few years ago, my Shark navigator broke. I replaced it with the most expensive Dyson Animal. After 2 weeks, I returned the Dyson because it couldn't pick up dog hair on my carpet nearly as well as the Shark. I called Shark to complain that my hose split just after the 5 year warranty was up, asked how much a new hose would be, and because they no longer made my model of Shark vacuum, they sent me a new, FREE Navigator, to replace my broken hose. I haven't looked at another vacuum brand since. Shark is an amazing company.

Miele is terrific. Really the only vacuum that I’ve never had any trouble with. I’ve had it for 12 years.

Okay, I know this thing is expensive, but I've had my Miele for 20 years and it still works perfectly. I expect unless I have some crazy need to buy a new vacuum just because that I'll still have it 20 years from now. My BFF has one too and she's had hers maybe a year longer than I've had mine and she vacuums way more often than I do. Hers is also in perfect shape. I mean, cosmetically, the canister isn't pristine, but the thing works, which is what counts. And, yeah, one has to cut the long hair out of the rollers. I don't know that there's any vacuum that's long-hair friendly!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter