Vaccinated under 12 timing

Itisyou

Earning My Ears
We’re set to cruise at the end of October, all vaccinated (of course) but the youngest - 9 year old. Following the news, it seems likely that the under 12 vaccine will be approved in early October. I assume that this will make us ineligible to cruise, as the 9 year old will not have enough time to be fully vaccinated. Do you think DCL will fully refund families in this condition? Even if booked a GT rate? Anybody else watching this timeline for this reason? I obviously want my child vaccinated as soon as possible, just wandering if I’m going to lose the cruise cost since I booked a discounted rate!

We’re set to cruise at the end of October, all vaccinated (of course) but the youngest - 9 year old. Following the news, it seems likely that the under 12 vaccine will be approved in early October. I assume that this will make us ineligible to cruise, as the 9 year old will not have enough time to be fully vaccinated. Do you think DCL will fully refund families in this condition? Even if booked a GT rate? Anybody else watching this timeline for this reason? I obviously want my child vaccinated as soon as possible, just wandering if I’m going to lose the cruise cost since I booked a discounted rate!
I believe the manufacturers will have their vaxx applications submitted to the FDA for the under 12s - it will be months till it's approved.

I thought that too! But just saw a story on the evening news that projected the FDA would only take a week or two to approve. It’s looking like kids will be able to get it by the end of October.

I would think many DCL families would be in this condition. Would DCL refund everyone?

This is a big "nobody knows" situation. Nobody knows when they submit the application. Nobody knows how long the FDA and CDC will take to approve them. Nobody knows once approved how long it would take for islands in the Caribbean or Bahamas to lower the age that vaccines are required to visit. Nobody knows if once approved if the islands will wait 6-8 weeks before lowering the age requirement to give people time to get their kids vaccinated.

We are cruising at the end of November and are in the same situation. All we can do is wait till it gets closer and see what happens.

This is a big "nobody knows" situation. Nobody knows when they submit the application. Nobody knows how long the FDA and CDC will take to approve them. Nobody knows once approved how long it would take for islands in the Caribbean or Bahamas to lower the age that vaccines are required to visit. Nobody knows if once approved if the islands will wait 6-8 weeks before lowering the age requirement to give people time to get their kids vaccinated.

We are cruising at the end of November and are in the same situation. All we can do is wait till it gets closer and see what happens.

To add to this, just because the US FDA approves it, does not mean it is approved in other countries. So it could be approved in the US, but not yet in the Bahamas, so the Bahamas might keep their 12+ requirement until they approve it for <12 by their own health authorities.

Many unknowns.

Like everyone above said, no one knows at this point. Prepare for the worst and hope for the best

I thought kids under 12 could still sail with a negative test if vaccines aren't approved for them yet (except on the Panama Canal cruise). Why would you be ineligible to cruise? Did I miss something?

I thought kids under 12 could still sail with a negative test if vaccines aren't approved for them yet (except on the Panama Canal cruise). Why would you be ineligible to cruise? Did I miss something?
I think the concern is the timing of the approval of vaccines for 5-11's. There are some reports this may happen as early as late Oct.
Should this occur we will have to see how it is phased in or not.

I was wondering this too but I think what the issue may be that Disney would make the vaccine a requirement as soon as it is approved, so there would be a window where there wouldn't be enough time to be vaccinated. Similar to the current situation where kids turn 12 too close to their sailing date to be fully vaxxed.

I hadn't even thought of that... hopefully they will give enough time to get kids vaccinated (the requirement would have to kick in like 6 weeks after approval and even that assumes people with kids 6-11 have access to the vaccine/appointments right away... ) As I think about it, my gut is that with an EUA and a kid population they won't require it for kids and will keep testing as an option. We don't sail til April so hopefully by then my 10 year old will be fully vaxxed and it won't be an issue.

my gut is that with an EUA and a kid population they won't require it for kids and will keep testing as an option.
Since the biggest driver of the vaccination status is rules in the port countries, I wouldn't count on DCL having much say in the requirements.

But someone did just post today that they are allowing a 5-week grace period for kids turning 12 - who will need to follow the "11 and younger" rules if not fully-vaccinated while in that 5-week grace period.

Since the biggest driver of the vaccination status is rules in the port countries, I wouldn't count on DCL having much say in the requirements.

But someone did just post today that they are allowing a 5-week grace period for kids turning 12 - who will need to follow the "11 and younger" rules if not fully-vaccinated while in that 5-week grace period.

Could you point me to the post with that message? This affects our family, and I was told via chat yesterday that there is a 5 week grace period…. But I called today to confirm, and asked that the rep check with a supervisor - he put me on hold and came back to say that is not true! The wording in the chat seemed like the rep copied and pasted it (as opposed to making it up), and it’s validating to hear someone else got the same info…. But we’re trying to decide whether to bail on the cruise or not, and inaccurate info makes it difficult to come to a decision! Thanks!

Could you point me to the post with that message? This affects our family, and I was told via chat yesterday that there is a 5 week grace period…. But I called today to confirm, and asked that the rep check with a supervisor - he put me on hold and came back to say that is not true! The wording in the chat seemed like the rep copied and pasted it (as opposed to making it up), and it’s validating to hear someone else got the same info…. But we’re trying to decide whether to bail on the cruise or not, and inaccurate info makes it difficult to come to a decision! Thanks!

Disney Cruise Blog posted about it. You can find the wording at the bottom after the option 3 section.
https://disneycruiselineblog.com/20...orida-pre-cruise-pcr-covid-19-testing-option/

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!