Using Disney GCs in parks

Tinkerbell19672

DIS Veteran
I'm thinking of buying Disney GCs to use in the parks. I don't usually like gift cards though because if having to keep track of what's been spent on them and knowing which one has which balance. Is there an easy way to use them? And how do you know how many to buy? I don't want to buy so many that we don't use them all. Help!

When I've used them, I would just keep handing over 1 card until I was told there wasn't enough $ to pay the entire bill (whatever it was - shopping, food), then I'd grab the next one. I never really kept track of the balances, just which ones were spent, which were unused, and the active one.

I'm thinking of buying Disney GCs to use in the parks. I don't usually like gift cards though because if having to keep track of what's been spent on them and knowing which one has which balance. Is there an easy way to use them? And how do you know how many to buy? I don't want to buy so many that we don't use them all. Help!

I just transferred everything onto one card, and would log on to disneygiftcard.com at the end of the day to check the balance.

You can also put a credit card on file for charging to your room, then stop in the evening and apply the gift cards to your balance.

Anyone know if you can credit the gift card to your magic band?

No, you cannot. The Resorts will not allow you to establish a credit balance with gift cards - only with cash. The workaround (such as it is) is to charge to your room, and then routinely stop by the front desk and use the gift card to pay off any balance you may have.

Steve

If you aren't sure you will use it all, get a prepaid MC or Visa, they work just like credit cards and if you don't use it all, you can use it anywhere else.

No, you cannot. The Resorts will not allow you to establish a credit balance with gift cards - only with cash. The workaround (such as it is) is to charge to your room, and then routinely stop by the front desk and use the gift card to pay off any balance you may have.

Steve
Thanks

Hello!
I just booked our trip to disney for Nov 7-12 we have 2 kids ages 8 and 10. How is it bringing kids to the food and wine festival? I would love to check it out but eveything I'm seeing makes this seem a bit more adult oriented.
Thank you!

How bad is it on weekends? We will be taking our kids (11 and 7), and given our dates and other plans, we can only go to Epcot on the weekend. Am I going to regret it?

Yep that's what I do too! So much easier to keep track of one.

How do I do this?

If you set up an account on disneygiftcard.com, you can enter all your GCs and it will let you transfer the balance to whichever ones you want. You have to set up a separate login/ pw from MDE. Once you're in, select "manage my GCs."

Hope this helps!

Here's another helpful hint...

1) As you purchase/earn Disney Gift Cards, load them into the Disney Gift Cards site but SAVE the cards. You can have up to 5 stored so you only need to hang on to those cards. If you delete the card, you don't need to hang onto it*.
2) Combine all of the cards onto one card, for convenience, but bring all of your stored cards with you, including the ones with a zero balance
3) If you lose the card that has the funds on it, simply go to the Disney Gift Card site and transfer the balance from the lost card to one of the other cards that you have stored. You could also buy a new card in any store for as little as $5 and use the website to transfer the balance to that card too.

*You should hang onto the card if you have used it to make any other purchases prior to combining it to another card, in case you are entitled to a refund.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter