used wheel chair

hugabearjo

DIS Veteran
My DS has a tumor on his foot, had it removed last September but, it is back. We are in a waiting game to figure out what to do with the tumor since it just comes back. When he uses his foot for long walking days (hence, disney) he needs to take pain pills and still is miserable. We will need to take a wheel chair on our trip because he won't be able to do the walking more than part of a day and not repeative days.

I have a prescription from the MD but, my insurance won't pay for the rental because he doesn't need it in the house. A rental is $75 a month. and you have to have it a min. of a month. So I started looking at buying a used colapsable one, have looked on ebay, craigslist and in the paper. Any ideas where else to turn. I am sure that people have them stashed in their garage or shed from when grandma was ill or surgery or something. I just can't figure out how to tap into finding someone.

Any ideas? or how to fight the insurance?
Thanks-
Jo

Do you have a medical supply store in your area? I went to our local store about three years ago and they donated one to my childs school as our school did not have one. The clerk said people purchase them. Use them for a while. Then when they are finished with them don't know what to do with them so they donate them back to the store. See if they have any like that you can purchase out right, might come out cheaper. HTH

Are you a church goer? Your local church may know where you could find a wheelchair to borrow.

You could put a plea out on Craig's List and Freecycle as well - promise to pass it forward when you are done or return it to the original owner.

Try a Goodwill store, or another thrift store. The last Goodwill store I was in here in Las Vegas had lots of walkers and crutches.

Have you tried the thrift shops or church thrift shops near you? Also, sometimes hospitals and hospices have thrift shops with those types of items. I saw one in the Aldi's ad today for $119. I remember buying my grandmother one of the smaller ones for about $100 on the internet. It might be worth your while to just buy one, rather than rent if you don't know how long you are going to need it. You can always resell it on Craigslist when you are done with it.

I saw a travel (colapsable) one in the CVS ad for $100.

I would try to tap into anyone you know that might have one or know someone who does. After my husband passed I kept his and gladly let anyone who needs it borrow it for exactly the reasons you need it. The one I have was actually given to me from someone else-I work for a healthcare system and we have a newsletter, I simply put a "please needed" ad in and someone passed it on to me, it had barely been used. Having worked on the claims side of health insurance for most of my adult life I can tell you they will consider this "a convenience" and not medically necessary for the most part. Best of luck finding what you need and have a great trip. Hope your son's health issues are temporary and he gets resolution ASAP.

I just bought all the medical stuff at the thrift store so I know what I paid:
shower chair with back, raised toilet seat, commode: 8.80
Walker:14.80
wheel chair with removable side: 42.??
bed rail:4.80

check your thrift stores!!

My DS has a tumor on his foot, had it removed last September but, it is back. We are in a waiting game to figure out what to do with the tumor since it just comes back. When he uses his foot for long walking days (hence, disney) he needs to take pain pills and still is miserable. We will need to take a wheel chair on our trip because he won't be able to do the walking more than part of a day and not repeative days.

I have a prescription from the MD but, my insurance won't pay for the rental because he doesn't need it in the house. A rental is $75 a month. and you have to have it a min. of a month. So I started looking at buying a used colapsable one, have looked on ebay, craigslist and in the paper. Any ideas where else to turn. I am sure that people have them stashed in their garage or shed from when grandma was ill or surgery or something. I just can't figure out how to tap into finding someone.

Any ideas? or how to fight the insurance?
Thanks-
Jo
You may end up using it more for him, Look into the ones online at SAMS and maybe Walgreens or Walmart., They have a travel one.
When you go to the Mall, day outings he would be helpful...

Renting a chair for Disney is not costly,.They can be used free at the hotels on site BUt a scooter is much better for the entire family. we have used a few of the agencys. Scooterama and Randys for the novice,

Another thing, our local pharmacies had a rental for minimal cost, the Knoghts of columbus had a donation free lending too.
call around.
:surfweb:

Not only check with thrift stores but if they don't have one ask if you can leave name an phone number so if they get 1 in they can call you.

Check yard sale ads sometimes ppl will put used wheelchair in yard sale once done with them.

Our church has a couple that we let people use as needed. (People in the community, not just church members.) I know our local Lions Club has some crutches, etc they loan out as well.

Thanks guys for the ideas. I will be calling around and checking thrift stores tomorrow. I never thought of the civic organizations so I will check there too. I will also put a call into our church. I didn't think about borrowing or buying from someone I knew until we were home from church today and I was looking with no luck on craigs list.

I pray this is a short term use for us, truth is we don't know. He had the first one removed last September and now it is back, they are unsure of why it is there. It was benign last time so we are crossing fingers again. (okay we are really just praying hard) that it is this time too. unfortunately where the tumor sits it is eroding the bone in his foot so we have to walk the line of leave it or take it out and risk it coming back faster and bigger.

Thanks again for the help with the wheel chair, as much as we don't want to take one it is necessary.

I am thankful for my dis friends.

:grouphug: hugs and prayers and Healing Pixie Dust for your DS
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~*~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

PS over on the Community Board there is a Prayer Request thread!
I know Their Prayers sure helped me get better with my tumor!! Good Luck!

My brother found one for our mom on Craigslist for around $20, it's in perfect condition. I'd check there if I were you

Pass It On, Inc.
P.O. Box 2120
Mashpee, MA 02649
(508) 477-6966

i have gotten like new wheelchairs, strollers, walkers etc from them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter