US to lift travel ban for foreign air travellers who show proof of vaccination

I'm happy to report that I had no side effects following my third dose apart from a sore arm. My two pfizer doses were just over 11 weeks apart. My daughter and I have decided, however, that we won't be travelling to Orlando in February. Neither of us are comfortable with what we have seen in recent videos of the parks...just too many people too close together. We've decided instead on a road trip in the southwest. Lots of hiking, horse riding, a day or two at a spa, etc. We've never seen a desert (apart from the dunes at Sprucewoods) and are really excited to go. I think we'll fly into Vegas, rent a car and do a rough circle going counterclockwise through Nevada, California and Arizona and back to Nevada....avoiding people as much as possible.

I'm happy to report that I had no side effects following my third dose apart from a sore arm. My two pfizer doses were just over 11 weeks apart. My daughter and I have decided, however, that we won't be travelling to Orlando in February. Neither of us are comfortable with what we have seen in recent videos of the parks...just too many people too close together.

I just got back from a 2 week trip at Universal. During the day it wasn't so bad as the parks were pretty empty (most I waited was maybe 10 minutes in single rider lines) and about 30- 40% of people were wearing masks indoors on rides. However... Horror Nights was a completely different story. Thousands of people packed in together and maybe 5% of people wearing masks. I was praying to everyone I could think of to please not let me catch COVID as that was pretty scary. Especially after being so isolated for the past 1.5 years!

I just got back from a 2 week trip at Universal. During the day it wasn't so bad as the parks were pretty empty (most I waited was maybe 10 minutes in single rider lines) and about 30- 40% of people were wearing masks indoors on rides. However... Horror Nights was a completely different story. Thousands of people packed in together and maybe 5% of people wearing masks. I was praying to everyone I could think of to please not let me catch COVID as that was pretty scary. Especially after being so isolated for the past 1.5 years!
Thanks for the report. Two weeks at Universal sounds amazing! Halloween Horror Nights sounds scary....and not in a Halloween kind of way! Since you are home now, did you get tested before flying home? I wonder if you could share how you got tested? We were thinking of doing the drive through at Walgreens, but would love some real experiences. Thanks, and welcome home!

I really want to bite the bullet and book my hotel + flight + DL tickets for early December as I impulsively bought tickets to Merriest Nights. However, my husband is AZ+Moderna (I'm 2x Pfizer) and I don't think I can until the US CDC clearly states if it's accepted or not! Wahhh

Are there anymore details as to timing of this new policy in Novemberand if they will consider mixed vax? We have our timeshare and Disney booked Nov 3-14 but husband and I are both a mix of AZ and MRNA so expect we could get caught in the govt rules. I’m encouraged by the steady decrease in cases there but it still unnerves us. We are on the fence but would like details to make a decision

Are there anymore details as to timing of this new policy in Novemberand if they will consider mixed vax? We have our timeshare and Disney booked Nov 3-14 but husband and I are both a mix of AZ and MRNA so expect we could get caught in the govt rules. I’m encouraged by the steady decrease in cases there but it still unnerves us. We are on the fence but would like details to make a decision

No and No.

The US has not released a specific date. The CDC is considering what vaccines will be acceptable but has not stated yet which will be.

The Canadian government has spoken with the US government about the mixed dose issue and has provided the US government with data about mixed doses to help inform their decision-making.

CDC is starting to examine data...

"CDC Director Dr. Rochelle Walensky told Yahoo Finance that information is not too far away.

"We're starting to see some of the mix-and-match data," she said, noting that studies are already underway.

"As soon as we have those data to present, both to the FDA and to the CDC, we'll have recommendations there as well," Walensky said."

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/cdc-...for-covid-19-vaccines-director-131034795.html

I've been wondering on the timeline as well... but am planning a Universal trip for end of October to get a second Pfizer. I would rather go a little later, in early November, but don't want to risk not being able to fly there.

I'm doing the same, moved my trip from November to October. In the BC news conference today, they made it clear they would not give a 3rd booster for "non-essential" travel, in their opinion they don't think we should be travelling. Seems a bit unfair, since we are legally allowed and several other provinces have helped their mixed dose people.

For those of you thinking of getting a 3rd booster in Florida, how long has it been since your second shot? I'm wondering about the logistics. If we had our Pfizer shot in mid June (and AZ in mid April), we're thinking it's too soon for another Pfizer in late October. Is that right? I'd love to know what everyone else is thinking/reading.

In the press conference today, they said booster is best after 6 months, I don't think 4 months will hurt. A friend of mine recently did the same thing in the states. He said he told them it was his 2nd dose, not third. They don't check anything in the states that will allow visitors to get it any way apparently. That is my plan in october in california.

In the press conference today, they said booster is best after 6 months, I don't think 4 months will hurt. A friend of mine recently did the same thing in the states. He said he told them it was his 2nd dose, not third. They don't check anything in the states that will allow visitors to get it any way apparently. That is my plan in october in california.
When I had my actual second shot in Florida they asked to see my paperwork for the first one — they didn’t care that I was Canadian but they wanted to see the info for the first shot. Might have changed now and they don’t check but be prepared. Might want to just book it as your first shot and then cancel the automatic second shot appointment that gets made with your booking.

I'm doing the same, moved my trip from November to October. In the BC news conference today, they made it clear they would not give a 3rd booster for "non-essential" travel, in their opinion they don't think we should be travelling. Seems a bit unfair, since we are legally allowed and several other provinces have helped their mixed dose people.
Not ashamed to say that press conference really TICKED ME OFF today 😈 I wish we could move our November trip to Oct 😭😭

Fellow British Columbian here, ugh I'm so peeved! Husband is AZ/Moderna and we have a trip planned in December. Really bummed out. I really hope the CDC can accept mixed vaccines.
The government originally were encouraging people to get whichever shot they could and those with AZ as their first shot stepped up and now they're being punished by not being able to travel?
:(

I really want to bite the bullet and book my hotel + flight + DL tickets for early December as I impulsively bought tickets to Merriest Nights. However, my husband is AZ+Moderna (I'm 2x Pfizer) and I don't think I can until the US CDC clearly states if it's accepted or not! Wahhh
I am in the same situation. Wanting to book for beginning of December. DH is AZ/Pfizer and I’m Modernax2. Now I want to buy Merriest Nights tickets…lol

In the USA, they were giving both Pfizer shots within one month. Is that correct? If we were to go to the USA for our booster shot, it would be 4 months after our Pfizer shot (AZ was 2 months before that). Would both countries recognize us as fully vaccinated, with a whole 4 months between doses? Does that make sense? Lol

In the USA, they were giving both Pfizer shots within one month. Is that correct? If we were to go to the USA for our booster shot, it would be 4 months after our Pfizer shot (AZ was 2 months before that). Would both countries recognize us as fully vaccinated, with a whole 4 months between doses? Does that make sense? Lol
Not sure….I do know some cruise lines are stipulating, no more than 12 weeks between doses.

I think we all need to keep in mind that neither our provincial or federal governments are really doing anything to make travel easier. The “avoid all non-essential travel” advisories are all still in place. Alberta has thrown the door open to 3rd shots for anyone who is mixed-vax with no restrictions, as have several other provinces, but they stop short of saying it’s to facilitate travel.
For those of you thinking of getting a 3rd booster in Florida, how long has it been since your second shot? I'm wondering about the logistics. If we had our Pfizer shot in mid June (and AZ in mid April), we're thinking it's too soon for another Pfizer in late October. Is that right? I'd love to know what everyone else is thinking/reading.
There was really no consistency world-wide on dosing intervals. They’re all over the place, mostly based on availability, although I think the original testing was conducted on a 12-week interval. I had my first shot (AZ) in April the minute I was eligible and my second (Moderna) 10 weeks later, which was approved as an acceptable interval by both federal and provincial authorities. I had my third (Moderna) last week; 10 weeks after my second. The pharmacist didn’t even address the issue of interval and when I asked, told me there is no reason to be concerned about any negative outcomes. :confused3

ETA: I just pulled a new copy of my electronic vaccination record (Alberta’s current version of a vaccine passport, if you will) and it shows all three doses. I was hoping the AZ would completely fall off the record so it wouldn’t raise any eyebrows if and when I travel to the States or try to board a cruise. Oh well, I guess we’ll see what happens. We’ve got a cruise booked in February but nothing international until then. Practically anything could happen in terms of requirements between now and then.

Last edited:
Not sure….I do know some cruise lines are stipulating, no more than 12 weeks between doses.
Thanks! That's my exact concern. Even if we did get a booster shot in October, it may not even help us with respect to travel. :(

It's 42 days but only for if you are mixing Moderna/Pfizer, not if you have two doses of the same, then there is no limit (except the minimum's). At least for RCL & Carnival, and I believe the other cruiselines under those parent companies. Not sure about NCL as they have been a bit different in everything so far.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter