Upset & Venting re: Reservations (Long)

izzarelli

Mouseketeer
Well, I never thought the day would come that I would say this, but I feel like cancelling our upcoming Disney trip. However, we're taking my Dad for his first ever trip so it's not an option.
I hate to post complaining, but I need to vent to people who will understand. ;)

I booked our reservations 8 months ago & have made several payments since then. (room only) We have two rooms & originally split the stay between CBR & POR. When the codes were released I called & switched us over to save some $ on the rooms, they said all funds would be transferred to the new reservation numbers the next week.

Well, as we know, the AP rates came out that next Sunday so I called and switched our current reservations to the AP rates. (Each time I've called they've set up new reservations - a total of four each time for the 2 rooms at 2 different resorts). She told me she was sending a memo to accounting to have the funds transferred over to the new reservations #'s. I felt good when I hung up, everything was taken care of.

Later we learn of the CBR closing & decide to move our reservations to AKL since we didn't want to play the waiting game with Disney. So, I call and move them over, same story with the funds. Today I'm working on a couple spreadsheets for our budget/payment history (don't laugh) and I open my bank statement that came yesterday. There are a TON - 28 to be exact, of credits & debits from WDW in the 2 week period that this has happened. (I've put every payment on my debit Visa except for one that we wrote a $100 check for).

So, just to make certain all is well I call this afternoon to double check the money situation. The credits & debits were there because they can't transfer charges, they credit & then re-debit. There is money missing on all of the reservations, and the agent very snottily informs me that my check for $100 was returned for insufficient funds. (the SAME check that is showing cleared my bank on July 30th). He also informed me that I needed to put the deposit money down on these or they were due to cancel. Seeing as how they already have $1,200+ of my money and were only showing $296 actually on the books I lost it.

They ended up switching me to 3 different people and then to accounting, none of which could follow the paper trail that has been created between reservations & accounting. Each person that they transferred me to was clueless about the situation so I had to keep telling the same history. I was finally told to fax my statement to Guest Services that shows the check clearing and that someone would check into it. She didn't have any great idea about the credits & debits to my debit card except to get the routing numbers from my bank on Monday and let them know. When I hung up my phone it showed I had been on the phone 3 HOURS and 23 MINUTES with them - and ended up with no answers at all.

I'm angry about this whole thing and I'm really disappointed in the way I was treated. I worry about everything going smoothly once there, especially since we're taking my Dad on this big trip. If this were any other company I would never do business with them again - but it's Disney World - one of my favorite places on earth. Does anyone know what I mean?
I guess I just feel helpless.

Anyway, I've faxed my information to Guest Services and have just finished my letter to Guest Communications expressing my feelings. I suppose now I just sit & wait, I don't know what else to do or who else to contact. If anyone has any ideas pls let me know - of if someone on the "inside" can tell me how this should work I'd be grateful.

Thanks for listening -
Maryann

Hope everything works out.....You'll love AKL as it is a gorgeous resort......

It is frustrating trying to explain things like that over the phone.....good luck and keep trying...:D

I think you have the paper trail so you will be fine. It is the weekend so here's hoping that they are just people who don't really know what is going on. Lots of the CM's are clueless at Disney now. I'll send pixie dust your way for smooth sailing.

I can understand your frustrations, especially since you've already paid them so much money, I will pray that everything works out ok for you when Disney realizes all they have put you through, maybe they'll do something special for u, I will think good thoughts for u!

Well, I hate to say it, but hope for the best but be prepared for the worse. If you prepare for the worse, then you are -- well -- more prepared due to having a plan. If the worse doesn't happen, you will be very relieved. :)
I learned from personal experience:
1) don't use CRO
2) NEVER give WDW (merchandising or CRO) a debit card number -- for anything. Use credit cards only.
I never really had any luck with anyone with my CRO problems. Like you, I couldn't really get anyone past a 'I only know what I read from my script' attitude. After that it was pretty much We're Disney and do what we d@#$ well please.
Best of luck. I hope it all works out well.
Like you, if I hadn't already bought my plane tickets, I probably would have scraped my May '02 vacation.

Let the bank do the paper work with Disney. I had our bank look into matters when a similar event happened. Banks seem to have the answers ----Remember they hold the money. The bank will have the record of the transaction with any confirmation numbers that WDW needs right at their finger tips. What makes this an easy way to handle this matter is --the bank is actually impartial---and CRO will actually listen to them.

Hope this helps.

Don't let it ruin your vacation. You might have just gotten hold of a bunch of "clerks" that didn't know how to read a ledger. Guess they'll be looking for work soon.

My moto is when I have to do business with someone who is not knowledgeable concerning their job "work" I usually think I won't have to deal with them again as they usually don't last long in that position.

PattyN ---That was just my .02

When these kinds of things happen to me, I make a plan. If you take a piece of paper(or spreadsheet) and in one column write down what transactions you believe you made with WDW and in the other column, reconcile your bank statement you will have a nice comparison chart to work from when you need to make phone calls. Occasionally by reworking a situation things become clearer and you may get another idea on how to speed up your refund. If you get everyone's name that you speak with and are persistent, I'm sure you'll see this all worked out. Have a super trip with your Dad and family. I'm definitely jealous about AKL(never stayed there) and we enjoyed ourselves at POR when we were there last. Hey- you won't be home like most of us!! Good luck! Threehearts

Oh Man! Two resorts, two rooms, changed three times, plus making addtitional payments after the initial deposit....don't mean to sound harsh, but I think you set yourself up for confusion.

Remember that the system is pretty much set up for the typical vacationer ( 1 room, 1 resort, 1 deposit, pay balance at check-out) so when you do something out of the ordinary, it does have a tendency to foul up.

Hang on to those bank transaction numbers! It will all work out. Your bank may be able to to audit your account for a small fee to follow all of the transactions.

After all of your aggravation, I hope you have an especially magical vacation!

p.s. I have friends in Coppell!

Well, none of the payments were made from me after the first change of reservation, the agents transferred them to the accounts. I also didn't want four reservations total, but they said there was no other choice since we were at two resorts. Disney is the who took it upon themselves to run funds in and out of my account and move money "somewhere".

Every year we've changed our reservations like this when the codes came out, then again when AP rates came out & have never had a problem. I imagine a lot of people do this, but maybe not. I don't think I was bringing it upon myself, the only reason we changed resorts at the end was because of the CBR debacle.

What your're doing is out of the ordinary for any hotel. It's great that you can get a cheaper rate for your room with AP rates, and it's smart to be pro-active about moving your reservation due to the CBR closing. But the CRO's policy of cancelling & re-booking when you're trying to get a better rate doesn't help the matter, and changing properties, while not your fault, make it even more confusing to a CM who is used to simply taking calls, making a reservation & moving on to the next call.

Sounds like the new reservation for AKL crossed wires with the memo sent to accounting with the charges for re-rating the previous reservations, which got cancelled when you moved to AKL.

Giving them your bank statement is probably the best way to proceed, because they can compare their records to what your bank says. Keep your paper trail and most important, get the names and direct telephone numbers of who you talk to. I'm sure some bean-counter will figure out the tangle and apply your deposits properly, but I hope all the aggrivation doesn't ruin your vacation.

:bounce:

I always switch resorts as the codes and AP rates come out and I don't have this problem. CRO is the only one I use. I booked the CR a few months ago using rack rate. I switched to the Poly using one of the codes. A week later I switched to the AP code at the Poly. Each time my deposit that I initially gave them for the CR was transferred to the other reservation. I was always mailed a new confirmation within a week that showed a new reservation number and the money. I don't know what they did with yours. When you switched resorts did they ask you for a deposit or did you just tell them to put the money from the first ressie onto the new one. Whenever I call, the CM automatically says she is transferring the money from one to the other. CRO has the best booking and cancellation policy out there. Much better then the WDTC, IMHO. Hopefully you will get it all straightened out. :D

It may be that your statement and Disney's transfers haven't caught up with each other. You've got two excellent ideas here.

1) Sort through everything and match what your statement says to the transactions that you've made. Write down all the various confirmation #s.

2) Contact the bank and see whether you could have Disney call them to get any information they are missing (routing codes, etc.)

If you have access to on-line banking or some other method of looking at your account "today" I'd do that as well and see if things have straightened out.

I had a frustrating experience recently with American Express where I just couldn't get through to the person on the phone what I was trying to explain. She refused to put a supervisor on the line. I have since written everything out and sent it to them. When it's complicated, having it in writing can help.

I'm so sorry to hear about this. It is so frustrating. After going through this "transfer" funds here and there thing last year, I did something different this time.

I had ressies for Labor Day Weekend (3 nights) at ASMu. I decided to change when codes came out for AKL for $129- AP rates ,I believe.

They already had a nights deposit on ASMu (about 68.00).Well, without even mentioning that I had a ressie, I just checked availability for AKL and booked it. Gave my credit card info,etc. had them charge the one night's deposit. Before I hung up with them I said I now needed to cancel a different ressie. Now I cancelled the ASMu and had them credit the 68.00 back to my credit card. When I got my bill, it was no big deal. There was the credit for 68.00 and the charge for one night at AKL. Easy as pie!

I would not use my debit card for that, though. Too much confusion. If you don't have a credit card, I would mail them a check and use the same tactic. Make a ressie (you have two weeks to send it in) and then cancel the existing one and have them send you a check for the refund. I also will not send them any more money up front than they ask for. I would just pay the rest at check in or check out.

Hope everything turns out okay!!!!

You never mentioned the first res to the CM and you never gave her the opportunity to make a mistake! That's a great way to deal with them.

:bounce:

going on 18 minutes! I have the same exact issue as you: multiple rooms, changing from DC to CKO to AP. Before I cancel the DC rooms (a separate reservation) I called back a few time to make sure--especially since I didn't get a mailed confirmation for 3 of the 4 rooms. Sure enough, my check for $377.40 magically has shown up as a credit for $87.69!
She's researching it now..................going on 21 minutes...........

Accounting called me back to say they found my deposit! I guess since they split my check between two ressies, no check# showed up and the CRO CM decided that meant no $$$$.
I'm relaxed now.:D

Good for you! Nothing's worse than getting ready for a much anticipated trip only to have that sick feeling in the pit of your stomach due to some glitch. I'm glad it worked out. Threehearts.

I realize your frustration. I also watched for the new codes/AP rates to come out, but I NEVER ask them to transfer funds. I make a new ressie and put the deposit on my credit card. Once I receive the confirmation in the mail, I then cancel the original ressie. That way, no problems with accounting.

Hope you're able to get it straightened out.

Beth

My advice is to apply for a Disney Credit Card.No annual fee and no problems with ressies so far.They seem to be able to transfer with ease and you can keep track of the charges .Just pay it off when the bill comes in 21% ouch!

I had a room booked at ASMu with the AAA rate. When the first round of codes came out for October I called and the CM "applied" the code to my existing ressie. My ressie number stayed the same and showed the correct amount of my deposit. I did not every receive the confirmation, but that didn't really matter because when AP rates came out I called again. Though this was alot more painful, waiting on hold for a HOUR to get a human being. I got pretty sick of listening to the music. Think it went thru at least 3 times.

Anyway, the CM did the same thing. Just applied the AP code to my ressie and everything stayed the same. I think it has alot to do with how long the CM's been there. The new ones probably don't know how to do it the easy way!

This time I did get my confirmation and everything was fine. That is until I saw October hours!:mad:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter