Uplifting COVID News

Status
Not open for further replies.
My county has 0 cases in seven days, for the second time this spring.

Iowa hasn't had this low 14 day average since late June.
Congrats! We haven't quite gotten there in New Orleans, with a 7 day average of 15 cases per day. But we've only had 2 deaths in the past 2 weeks and nearly 55% of those over 16 have gotten at least one dose, plus our infection rate just dropped to 0.84 after briefly climbing over 1, so hopefully soon!

Oddly, Louisiana as a whole is also doing well, despite having one of the worst vax rates in the country. Cases, hospitalization, ventilator usage, and deaths are all WAY below where they were at any time since the start of the pandemic. And statewide positivity is down to 3% (0.8% in the city). Now if we could just get the rest of the people vaxxed before another surge hits...

Michigan here.......while still waiting for our vaccination numbers to hit 70% I am celebrating the fact that we can buy flowers again (esp for Mother's Day) at our local hardware. Last year that didn't even happen!!! Baby steps here in our state! :flower2:

Interesting news that came out today - the CDC is predicting a surge in May due to the UK variant. I had to double check the date of the article to make sure it was today's date. For those of us who have been on this thread and the 2 previous threads, we have seen this narrative before and it may make some of us scratch our heads a bit. But the uplifting part of the prediction is that they predict hospitalizations and deaths to remain low and that cases should sharply decline by July.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/05/05/cdc...t1point7-variant-before-a-sharp-decline-.html
I am not sure how they are defining "surge" but I do know many very restrictive states are fully opening up this month (like NY, NJ, CT) and with the vaccines rates starting to decline with many folks refusing, we probably will see the graph tick up before it (hopefully) drops for good.

Interesting news that came out today - the CDC is predicting a surge in May due to the UK variant. I had to double check the date of the article to make sure it was today's date. For those of us who have been on this thread and the 2 previous threads, we have seen this narrative before and it may make some of us scratch our heads a bit. But the uplifting part of the prediction is that they predict hospitalizations and deaths to remain low and that cases should sharply decline by July.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/05/05/cdc...t1point7-variant-before-a-sharp-decline-.html
I am not sure how they are defining "surge" but I do know many very restrictive states are fully opening up this month (like NY, NJ, CT) and with the vaccines rates starting to decline with many folks refusing, we probably will see the graph tick up before it (hopefully) drops for good.

I just can’t. Remember “the surge of all surges” and the huge surge in 6-12 weeks? And then “sense of impending doom”?

We’re heading into better weather, somewhere around 50% of people are at least half vaccinated, and the US is on its 3rd week heading down. There are probably going to be local hot spots, which I guess would be defined as a surge, but a National surge?

I’m starting to feel like we’ve gone from a CDC who didn’t want to scare and be over cautious to a CDC who is instead trying to over-caution and scare us into vaccinating.

I suspect this is based in part on what happened in Michigan in March and April. We saw a case surge as big as the one in the fall as the UK variant became dominant. Cases and hospitalizations were on par with our fall peak, but the hospitalized patients on whole were somewhat less sick than in November and now that we're on the downslope of that peak, it appears the fatality rate was about half that of the fall peak. So sort of a good news/bad news situation with the variant moving much faster as it reaches new populations but the vaccines protecting against it being as bad as it was six months ago.

I feel like CNBC is mischaracterizing this a bit. I watched the press briefing today, and Dr. Walensky didn't say anything about another peak, though she did talk about the modeling and the sharp decline by July. If you look at the actual report, though it was released today, it was based on data collected through March 27. I believe that projected surge was the one that started mid-March and ended up peaking ahead of schedule in mid-April (the one that gave Dr. Walensky a "sense of impending doom" in the March 30th briefing). It doesn't mean the rest of the modeling is inaccurate, just that we did a better than predicted job of holding down the surge through vaccinations and public health measures. So if anything, we may also see the sharp decline happen sooner than the model predicts.
Modeling of Future COVID-19 Cases, Hospitalizations, and Deaths, by Vaccination Rates and Nonpharmaceutical Intervention Scenarios — United States, April–September 2021 | MMWR (cdc.gov)

I feel like CNBC is mischaracterizing this a bit. I watched the press briefing today, and Dr. Walensky didn't say anything about another peak, though she did talk about the modeling and the sharp decline by July. If you look at the actual report, though it was released today, it was based on data collected through March 27. I believe that projected surge was the one that started mid-March and ended up peaking ahead of schedule in mid-April (the one that gave Dr. Walensky a "sense of impending doom" in the March 30th briefing). It doesn't mean the rest of the modeling is inaccurate, just that we did a better than predicted job of holding down the surge through vaccinations and public health measures. So if anything, we may also see the sharp decline happen sooner than the model predicts.
Modeling of Future COVID-19 Cases, Hospitalizations, and Deaths, by Vaccination Rates and Nonpharmaceutical Intervention Scenarios — United States, April–September 2021 | MMWR (cdc.gov)

Yes, what is CNBC trying to put out there?? On NBC.COM the headline is that the CDC is predicting a sharp drop in July. This just sort of proves that news sites will publish anything they think will get the most traffic.

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/cdc-projects-sharp-decline-covid-cases-u-s-july-n1266369

Here in Ohio, there is a 4-level public alert system. Most of the counties in the state have been at a level 3 alert for a looong time.

They update the map on Thursdays, and today, for the first time in months, more than half of the counties in the state are at a level 1 or 2 on the alert system. Feels like progress!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter