Upgrading DDP after booking?

GirlDreamer

DIS Veteran
We've always done the QSDP in the past as we never wanted to spend a lot of time in a restaurant, so naturally we booked our next holiday with the free QSDP as well. Now I'm having second thoughts as there's a lot of TS restaurants we'd like to eat at, and we'd like to take things a bit easier this holiday. Is it possible for us to upgrade to the regular DDP after the booking has already been made?

If you book through Disney direct, no problem. You can upgrade at any time (until 14 days out) at no charge (except obviously for the price difference between QSDP and DDP, that will be added to your balance, or payable immediatly if you're less than 56 days out)
be advised that if you have second thoughts and want to revert back to QSDP it will still be possible but at a £50 fee

if you book through a TA, it's entirely up to them, as well as the fees associated with the change if they accept it.
see T&Cs for relevant TA

Thanks, I've booked directly with Disney so it shouldn't be a problem then. I'm still not 100% sure wether to upgrade or not. Would it be too much having the regular DDP for a 3 week stay? I'm looking at what restaurants we'd book, and I'm looking at booking 2 TS meal for several days so we wouldn't be tied to doing them every day. There will also be days where we'll do non Disney stuff like Florida Mall, beach, Universal etc. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

We only go for a week, but have always upgraded our free QSDP to the DDP as we like to take the time out in the day to sit and eat a nice meal.
3 weeks is a lot of meals, but you could do some character dining, signature meals etc. It does make a nice break in the day and some places are very expensive out of pocket.

We've done 3 weeks DDP
it's not really an issue ... well ... at least not until you come home and step of that darn scale ... (mine didn't display my weight but a "please, only one person at a time" message ... lol ...

still we found that we had spent so much time in restaurants.
well we loved it like that because we're not big on parks. But that was a lot of time.

also consider that you have to pay an average of 18% tip for each TS meal, so for 2 people over 3 weeks that's just under $300 you need to add to the cost of the upgrade
for 2 people, the budget on tips for 3 weeks would get you through at least 4 TS meals

so even without upgrading, you could do 4 TS restaurants out of pocket just for what you would pay on tips only if you were on the DDP for 3 weeks

We've done 3 weeks DDP
it's not really an issue ... well ... at least not until you come home and step of that darn scale ... (mine didn't display my weight but a "please, only one person at a time" message ... lol ...

still we found that we had spent so much time in restaurants.
well we loved it like that because we're not big on parks. But that was a lot of time.

also consider that you have to pay an average of 18% tip for each TS meal, so for 2 people over 3 weeks that's just under $300 you need to add to the cost of the upgrade
for 2 people, the budget on tips for 3 weeks would get you through at least 4 TS meals

so even without upgrading, you could do 4 TS restaurants out of pocket just for what you would pay on tips only if you were on the DDP for 3 weeks

Thanks for your advice. I just realised earlier today about the tips, so that'll definitely add a lot to the cost. We also wanted to not be tied to a schedule too much, but having the DDP would definitely tie us to a schedule. I think I might choose not to have it this time.

My family have the free quick service when we booked and have upgraded to the standard package so we can have the table service meals. For 10 days it was about an extra £300 or so which I thought wasn’t too bad for 3 people (2 adults and one child aged 8). Means we only have the tips to pay when we’re there so spreads the costs.

ADR day early next week so getting excited!!

If it's for your September trip, it's also worth looking at whether you can still get the dining bookings you would want as the booking window will already be open.
That will also help you work out whether it is worth it or not.

We really like the restaurants and it's part of our trips. Some days we do sit down breakfasts, others lunch or dinner to spread it out.

We've always done the QSDP in the past as we never wanted to spend a lot of time in a restaurant, so naturally we booked our next holiday with the free QSDP as well. Now I'm having second thoughts as there's a lot of TS restaurants we'd like to eat at, and we'd like to take things a bit easier this holiday. Is it possible for us to upgrade to the regular DDP after the booking has already been made?
We qualified for the free QSDP with our Virgin booking and upgraded to the DDP at the time of booking and only had to pay the difference in price. We also initially booked the Caribbean Beach Resort but went back after a few days and changed it to Port Orleans French Quarter due to all the construction at the CB. We were able to do this at no extra cost apart from the difference in prices in the brochure with Virgin but not sure if you can change dining plans as easily but would imagine anything that increases your spend would be welcomed! Call your agent and ask.

We qualified for the free QSDP with our Virgin booking and upgraded to the DDP at the time of booking and only had to pay the difference in price. We also initially booked the Caribbean Beach Resort but went back after a few days and changed it to Port Orleans French Quarter due to all the construction at the CB. We were able to do this at no extra cost apart from the difference in prices in the brochure with Virgin but not sure if you can change dining plans as easily but would imagine anything that increases your spend would be welcomed! Call your agent and ask.

We wanted to stay at POFQ too as it's our favourite resort, but we couldn't find any availability there. We've decided against upgrading to the DDP as it'll be too much of a schedule for us. Including all the tips we'd have to pay as well, that would mean a significant increase on the costs, which would be a bit more than we're willing to pay at the moment. We've got a handful of restaurant reservations for this trip, and I think that's enough for us anyway.

We wanted to stay at POFQ too as it's our favourite resort, but we couldn't find any availability there. We've decided against upgrading to the DDP as it'll be too much of a schedule for us. Including all the tips we'd have to pay as well, that would mean a significant increase on the costs, which would be a bit more than we're willing to pay at the moment. We've got a handful of restaurant reservations for this trip, and I think that's enough for us anyway.
I’m doing it all the other way round this time, previously stayed at SSR and OKW with the ‘normal’ Dining Plan, next week heading to CBR with free Quick Service and have realised just how many quick service restaurants we’ve never been to!
Not having to worry about gratuities is a bonus too.
Having said that... one day you must upgrade your ddp, there are some amazing restaurants you must try.

I’m doing it all the other way round this time, previously stayed at SSR and OKW with the ‘normal’ Dining Plan, next week heading to CBR with free Quick Service and have realised just how many quick service restaurants we’ve never been to!
Not having to worry about gratuities is a bonus too.
Having said that... one day you must upgrade your ddp, there are some amazing restaurants you must try.

Yeah we might do it next time we go for 14 days as there's several restaurants I want to try. The thought of having to do 21 table service meals got a bit too daunting though. We've got a few dining reservations though, that we'll just pay for.

Yeah we might do it next time we go for 14 days as there's several restaurants I want to try. The thought of having to do 21 table service meals got a bit too daunting though. We've got a few dining reservations though, that we'll just pay for.

I would just like to add-
There are several restaurants and shows which are 2 credits and thus easily eat up your credits.

The first time we had ddp I really disliked it..
Felt captive to adrs-not fun at all

The following trip we actually tried to change (with disney) to qsdp; however it was going to cost more than £1k to revert free ddp to 'free qsdp'
most surprisingly-we did not change the plan ..

I realised we like breakfast-lots of brekkie adrs were booked..
A few were booked in parks we would be attending later in the day-the remaining credits were left as remainders -we saw them as free credits & not missed at all.
We simply used what we wanted-when we wanted -not dictated to.

Fast forward several years-we've had no dining plan.
Qsdp,ddp and just about to have d ddp -oh yes!!!
I'm converted & a true believer.

On our last trip we purchased the QSDP but found that we were actually going (and paying) for a lot of TS meals as my wife is a vegetarian and had very little to choose from at the QS locations. For our trip this year we booked early with Virgin and got the free QSDP which we then paid a little extra to upgrade to the DDP. The extra that we paid to get a daily TS meal was far, far less than what we paid "on site" for the extra meals last time. :smickey:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!