Upgrading a Child to an Adult?

calismic

DIS Veteran
Ok, so I was unable to find a solid answer on this, so hopefully the folks here can help me out before I sit on hold with Disney for an hour. =) My 9 year old daughter has never been fond of kids meals. We've looked over the menu's of all of the restaurants we've booked and nearly every single one she wants an adult meal. Last year this was not a problem as we had the Deluxe plan and the table service allowed her to order without a blink. I am reading now this is NOT the case with the standard plan. So my question, is it possible to 'upgrade' her dining plan credits to 'Adult' ? The price is still a bit lower if she were an adult than upgrading the entire family to Deluxe. If you have any other tips or ideas let me know. Thanks! =)

Ok, so I was unable to find a solid answer on this, so hopefully the folks here can help me out before I sit on hold with Disney for an hour. =) My 9 year old daughter has never been fond of kids meals. We've looked over the menu's of all of the restaurants we've booked and nearly every single one she wants an adult meal. Last year this was not a problem as we had the Deluxe plan and the table service allowed her to order without a blink. I am reading now this is NOT the case with the standard plan. So my question, is it possible to 'upgrade' her dining plan credits to 'Adult' ? The price is still a bit lower if she were an adult than upgrading the entire family to Deluxe. If you have any other tips or ideas let me know. Thanks! =)

At TS meals, she will be required to order a kid's meal. At QS meals, she can order adult meals.

You can age her up to 10, but you will pay the adult price for both the DDP and for tickets.

You may want to see what paying OOP and not using any dining plan might be. It could be this is the year you do no plan at all. OR you make the majority of your TS meals buffet/family-style where everyone eats whatever they have on the buffet.

Since this is the last year you can purchase a plan and pay child rates i would
But, as I always say, this is a math problem what works better

Your choices include:
  • Paying child prices and pay oop for her meal or an app
  • Stick to mostly family style/buffets where she can eat whatever she wants
  • Upgrade her to an adult on regular ddp and upgrade park ticket too
  • Switch to dxdp, paying child price for her to eat adult choices
  • No plan, pay as you go
Each choice does require some math. I would set up a spreadsheet and price out the actual cost for each option. Your daughter can absolutely help w this and make it a family project. Bonus if you decide to pay as you go you will have a very good idea of your food budget.

My daughter was 9.5 on our last trip. I don't know the current rates, but last year the difference in ticket prices to age her up was pretty small. The big cost difference was in the dining plan, but we did it anyway because she's my foodie kid and hated being limited to kids' meals even on our first trip when she was 7. Given the overall cost of a Disney trip for a family of 5, the few hundred extra was worth it to us because it made a big difference in her enjoyment of the trip. (And bonus, most of the adult meals she ordered were much healthier than what she would have ordered off the kids' menus.)

My daughter was 9.5 on our last trip. I don't know the current rates, but last year the difference in ticket prices to age her up was pretty small. The big cost difference was in the dining plan, but we did it anyway because she's my foodie kid and hated being limited to kids' meals even on our first trip when she was 7.

This is true. The ticket price between a child and an adult ticket is pretty negligible in the grand scheme. The Dining plan however is MUCH more expensive for an adult (difference of about $48 per night). You may find that it's actually cheaper to skip the dining plan and pay out of pocket for meals. Then she can order whatever she wants.

We had the opposite problem when we went 2 years ago- my then-10 year old would have been a Disney adult on the dining plan, but had ZERO interest in adult menu items. We skipped the dining plan and paid OOP for everything, and he could order whatever he wanted at meals. It just made for a more pleasant trip for him and us LOL

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter