Upgrades at Port?

From my experience it shouldn't be nearly $2,000 for you especially if you just want to go to a concierge stateroom v. a 1BR or Royal. Of course it will depend on the price of the rooms when you booked.. but given the cost of your 5C , I am guessing you are on the higher end of the spectrum. We have paid as little as $400 (for 2A, 1C) for a concierge stateroom upgrade from an 8A and as much as $900 for a 1BR from a 11A.

My upcoming cruise is a 14 day Panama Canal cruise. It has already been heavily discounted from the opening price. $8000 for a verandah is as low as you can go (I actually had a 25% discount certificate and booked on board for another 10% off. I actually paid $5700 but I didn't want to confuse the issue). If I can get an upgrade for under $2000 I think it would be a great deal. (but maybe some of the concierge guests would be upset at me).

They also sole IGTs on this cruise, would have been $4600 for all 4.

My upcoming cruise is a 14 day Panama Canal cruise. It has already been heavily discounted from the opening price. $8000 for a verandah is as low as you can go (I actually had a 25% discount certificate and booked on board for another 10% off. I actually paid $5700 but I didn't want to confuse the issue). If I can get an upgrade for under $2000 I think it would be a great deal. (but maybe some of the concierge guests would be upset at me).

They also sole IGTs on this cruise, would have been $4600 for all 4.
You're right, it will probably be a little more for a 14 day cruise. The ones I referenced were 7 day cruises.. I would love to do a PC cruise, but can't justify taking my DS10 out of school for two weeks. Maybe we will be able to do it in a few years when he gets to college... Good luck!

So I may be confused but how are people checking in at 1000 and checking for upgrades when port arrival times don't start until 1100? Is my port arrival time more of a boarding time rather than a check in time?

So I may be confused but how are people checking in at 1000 and checking for upgrades when port arrival times don't start until 1100? Is my port arrival time more of a boarding time rather than a check in time?

Platinum and Concierge can check in earlier, they are not assigned specific times AFAIK. Not sure if the Port is open at 10 am, though.

Even Concierge can upgrade - they may want to go from a one bedroom to the Walt Disney Suite, for example...

<snip>

Actually this is an interesting potential poll. Who shows up early at port for upgrades? I'm pretty confident it is not gold and platinum.

<snip>

I feel DCL is devaluing their product with port upgrades. Think about. If DCL announced Wednesday no more port upgrades imagine how much cash they would receive within that month.

Imagine how few folks would be in line at the terminal at 10:30. JMHO

I know the local Fire Marshall would be pleased.:rotfl2:

I'm curious about why you think it's not gold and platinum cruisers trying to upgrade at the port? Because I would guess the opposite.

In my experience it IS experienced cruisers, or maybe research junkies, who are at the port early trying to upgrade.

Also, if DCL announced there would be no more port upgrades, I don't see that automatically equating higher profits. In fact, again I would guess the opposite.

The advice often given around here is to book a stateroom category you will be happy with and then consider it a bonus if you're able to get an upgrade to something nicer for a good price at the port.

I think it's more likely that the majority of people would stick with what they already have booked than flood the phones upgrading at full price if port upgrades were no longer offered. JMHO though.

BTW, I'm surprised at some of the rates being quoted for port upgrades. We only checked once, and maybe rates are different for the DCL cruises sailing out of CA and/or for holiday sailings (ours was both) but we were quoted a much higher rate than I'm seeing people mention in this thread.

BTW, I'm surprised at some of the rates being quoted for port upgrades. We only checked once, and maybe rates are different for the DCL cruises sailing out of CA and/or for holiday sailings (ours was both) but we were quoted a much higher rate than I'm seeing people mention in this thread.

Some of the rates I'm seeing are based on 3, 4, or 5 night sailing upgrades and not 7 day sailing upgrade prices.

I paid $1050 on a 4 night cruise to go from a cat. 10 to a cat. 3 (which is now a cat. T). For a 7 night cruise I would expect that cost to be close to double that.

Some of the rates I'm seeing are based on 3, 4, or 5 night sailing upgrades and not 7 day sailing upgrade prices.

I paid $1050 on a 4 night cruise to go from a cat. 10 to a cat. 3 (which is now a cat. T). For a 7 night cruise I would expect that cost to be close to double that.
Agree.. alot depends on how many are in your party, when you are sailing and what the room rate was when you booked. We only had 2A and 1C and sail during the "off season" (when kids are in school) so it is a little less for us than larger parties during higher seasons..

Agree.. alot depends on how many are in your party, when you are sailing and what the room rate was when you booked. We only had 2A and 1C and sail during the "off season" (when kids are in school) so it is a little less for us than larger parties during higher seasons..

Nope, party size does not matter when it comes to pricing upgrades at the port. Also, the price a cabin is booked doesn't come into play when the supervisor looks at their spread sheet to give the price, it's the same for everyone at the port.

Our upgrade that I gave the price for above was done on a Father's Day sailing for 3 people and then I paid the exact same price 2 weeks later for 2 people. My first sailing was booked about 10 months in advance with no discounts and the 2nd sailing was booked 1½ weeks before sailing using a FL resident discount. So I know for a fact that the initial price paid for a booking doesn't come into account when paying for a port upgrade.

FWIW, in May we went on a 5-night Magic. We upgraded from what I believe was a 5b (not 100% on that but I think it was) to a 1-bdrm for $1200. ;)

Duh, I don't know why I didn't think of the length of cruise thing. Maybe that does help explain it.

IIRC they wanted over $1,000 just to go from a Cat 7 to a Cat 4 and since we weren't making the jump to concierge (none available) and we already had a verandah, we didn't think it sounded like much of a bargain. It was a longer cruise though and I have no idea how much making that jump would have cost pre-cruise, maybe it was a steal... comparatively.

Platinum and Concierge can check in earlier, they are not assigned specific times AFAIK. Not sure if the Port is open at 10 am, though.

Even Concierge can upgrade - they may want to go from a one bedroom to the Walt Disney Suite, for example...

Official port opening time is 11:00...they start letting people in the parking lot at about 10:40 on. Just to clarify...Platinum and Concierege do not get to check in any earlier than anybody else. They do get to BOARD earlier as they receive boarding #1/2 but they don't CHECK IN any earlier. And yes, Platinum and Concierge are not assigned a port arrival time. They can arrive at any time and board as soon as they are checked in (as long as boarding has started). Boarding usually starts about 11:30/11:45.

Remember...when you do your online check in you are picking a PORT ARRIVAL TIME not a CHECK IN TIME or BOARDING TIME.

MJ

Official port opening time is 11:00...they start letting people in the parking lot at about 10:40 on. Just to clarify...Platinum and Concierege do not get to check in any earlier than anybody else. They do get to BOARD earlier as they receive boarding #1/2 but they don't CHECK IN any earlier. And yes, Platinum and Concierge are not assigned a port arrival time. They can arrive at any time and board as soon as they are checked in (as long as boarding has started). Boarding usually starts about 11:30/11:45.

Remember...when you do your online check in you are picking a PORT ARRIVAL TIME not a CHECK IN TIME or BOARDING TIME.

MJ

Let me just explain what I was trying to say, lol.

When I do the online checkin, since I am Platinum I do not have to select a Port Arrival Time (I am pretty sure that was the case when I last cruised in April the system does not give me an option to choose one). So when the poster above asked " how are people checking in at 1000 and checking for upgrades when port arrival times don't start until 1100?" I was just trying to say that it could be some Platinum or Concierge since they don't have to select a port arrival time and may arrive early.

Sorry, was not trying to give out any incorrect info. Hope my explanation makes sense - something that I am not easily doing these days. Thanks for the clarification MJ! :)

Let me just explain what I was trying to say, lol.

When I do the online checkin, since I am Platinum I do not have to select a Port Arrival Time (I am pretty sure that was the case when I last cruised in April the system does not give me an option to choose one). So when the poster above asked " how are people checking in at 1000 and checking for upgrades when port arrival times don't start until 1100?" I was just trying to say that it could be some Platinum or Concierge since they don't have to select a port arrival time and may arrive early.

Sorry, was not trying to give out any incorrect info. Hope my explanation makes sense - something that I am not easily doing these days. Thanks for the clarification MJ! :)

No problem!!!:thumbsup2

I find this thread fascinating. We booked concierge for a cruise in a few weeks. 3-night Dream in Cat V. It's just two of us, celebrating our 25th anniversary. It is a special occasion, so we decided to splurge. The cat V is plenty of room for us. We have one of the bump out rooms with the big veranda. We will be totally happy with that room, and can't wait! I should also mention that booking a cabana at 120 days was definitely a factor, since we are not yet platinum (but we're close!)

Having said that, I am an unapologetically competitive upgrader. I do it with airline reservations and hotel rooms. It is a game I love to play. If I get the upgrade, I win. If I don't, I try again next time.

Looking at the IGT/OGT/VGT rates available now, I suppose I should be upset that I paid 2 1/2 times as much for my room, and those folks have a decent chance of upgrading to a 1BR. I'm not upset though. I am excited that we have a great room, got a cabana, and were able to arrange dining with a huge party of people we met through the DIS board-- thanks to the shoreside concierge team. If I don't get an upgrade to a 1BR, it will still be an awesome cruise.

But I will have my track shoes laced up ready to beat everyone to the supervisors desk. :)

Official port opening time is 11:00...they start letting people in the parking lot at about 10:40 on.

It may vary from cruise to cruise, depending on a lot of different factors, but when we went on the Dream 5 night on 8/19 we dropped off our luggage with a porter about 10:20 and were allowed into the parking garage immediately after that. Since we are Platinum CC members we didn't have an assigned port arrival time and we were on the bridge leading from the garage to the terminal about 10:25, with about 20 people in front of us. At 10:30 they started letting people through security and we were checked in and at the supervisor's desk by about 10:45. Since we were lucky enough to be able to upgrade to a cat T, we were boarding by shortly after 11:30.

Not saying things happen that early all the time, but that was our experience.

Also..... I've seen some reports that Platinum members can't check in at the Concierge desk, but that was not the case when we checked in. The carpet at the Concierge check in area specifically welcomed Concierge and Platinum guests.

We're Platinum & at PC, LA & NYC we have always been able to check in @ the Concierge & Platinum desk. Just thought I'd post our experiences since some have said that Platinum haven't always been allowed to check in @ that location. It's never been an issue for us when checking in for the 7 cruises we've done as Platinum & hopefully that will still be the case when we check in @ the port in Galveston in a few weeks.

HTHs! :thumbsup2 :sail:

We're Platinum & at PC, LA & NYC we have always been able to check in @ the Concierge & Platinum desk. Just thought I'd post our experiences since some have said that Platinum haven't always been allowed to check in @ that location. It's never been an issue for us when checking in for the 7 cruises we've done as Platinum & hopefully that will still be the case when we check in @ the port in Galveston in a few weeks.

Do you know how early the port opens at NYC? TIA.

Do you know how early the port opens at NYC? TIA.

If I remember correctly, we caught a taxi from our hotel about 10:15-10:30 and were able to get into the port immediately and it was already pretty crowded, so we were thankful that we are Platinum b/c we didn't have to wait in the horrendous check-in lines. ;) We checked in, went and got in the upgrade line & waited in that seemingly short line that actually was taking forever for about 5-10 minutes w/o moving, so we stepped out. Noticed Statue of Liberty Minnie & asked if she would be out on the ship at some point, they asked & said they thought she would be, but we decided to see her anyway. While in line, our boarding # was called, but we waited to see SoL Minnie (which was good b/c she NEVER was on the ship in her SoL costume during the cruise) then were able to head on in, get our boarding picture and get on the Magic. I think we were probably sorting out our Palo, etc. by 11:15-11:30 and then sitting down and having lunch right after that in Parrot Cay.

If I remember correctly, we caught a taxi from our hotel about 10:15-10:30 and were able to get into the port immediately and it was already pretty crowded, so we were thankful that we are Platinum b/c we didn't have to wait in the horrendous check-in lines. ;) We checked in, went and got in the upgrade line & waited in that seemingly short line that actually was taking forever for about 5-10 minutes w/o moving, so we stepped out. Noticed Statue of Liberty Minnie & asked if she would be out on the ship at some point, they asked & said they thought she would be, but we decided to see her anyway. While in line, our boarding # was called, but we waited to see SoL Minnie (which was good b/c she NEVER was on the ship in her SoL costume during the cruise) then were able to head on in, get our boarding picture and get on the Magic. I think we were probably sorting out our Palo, etc. by 11:15-11:30 and then sitting down and having lunch right after that in Parrot Cay.

It helps a lot, thanks. Maybe I can talk him into forgetting to try for the upgrade. ;);) We are not close to platinum and hate lines. :rotfl: Right now we have two family staterooms for three adults total so I'm not sure a one BR would be that much better. However, he loves the idea of ordering Palo delivered to our room. :goodvibes Perhaps we're best off just showing up at 11:30 as scheduled. We do hope to add another Palo dinner and have lunch in Parrot Cay. Decisions, decisions.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter