Upgrades at Port?

It helps a lot, thanks. Maybe I can talk him into forgetting to try for the upgrade. ;);) We are not close to platinum and hate lines. :rotfl: Right now we have two family staterooms for three adults total so I'm not sure a one BR would be that much better. However, he loves the idea of ordering Palo delivered to our room. :goodvibes Perhaps we're best off just showing up at 11:30 as scheduled. We do hope to add another Palo dinner and have lunch in Parrot Cay. Decisions, decisions.

Well, we were on the June 2nd cruise which was the start of summer, so maybe the one you're on won't be as full & the upgrade line might be shorter. I didn't notice them holding any passengers back from entering the port due to check-in times. Honestly, we weren't even asked what our port check-in time was upon entering the port like they do in PC. So if you think you want to try for an upgrade, I'd go ahead and get their earlier than your scheduled time. Also, since not everyone needs to be there when you check in, maybe have 1 person go straight to the upgrade line while the other person booked in the same stateroom checks in. Then when the person is finished checking in, they can just get in w/ the person already in the upgrade line. But if you are worried about a lengthy upgrade line, then just arrive when planned and just get on and add another Palo (which I'm betting will be easy to do since they hold back 50% of the ressies for on board booking) & then have a nice lunch in Parrot Cay.

HTHs! :thumbsup2 & Happy sailing! :sail:

Unfortunately, the second person in one cabin is non verbal so that won't work for us. Good idea though.

Would you take a one BR or two family cabins if it were you.

Interesting about Palo. We have had good luck booking it when we get on the ship on our first two cruises but had no idea that it was 50% held back. :scared1:

Thanks for all the help.

However, he loves the idea of ordering Palo delivered to our room.

Just so you know............ only those guests staying in one of the Royal suites (cat R - 2 cabins on each ship) may order dinner from Palo in their room. None of the other Concierge cabins, on any of the ships, qualify for this perk. However, guests staying in a cat S (Magic and Wonder) or cat T (all 4 ships) suite can order dinner from the MDR menu. Cat V cabins (Dream and Fantasy) don't qualify for this perk.

Just so you know............ only those guests staying in one of the Royal suites (cat R - 2 cabins on each ship) may order dinner from Palo in their room. None of the other Concierge cabins, on any of the ships, qualify for this perk. However, guests staying in a cat S (Magic and Wonder) or cat T (all 4 ships) suite can order dinner from the MDR menu. Cat V cabins (Dream and Fantasy) don't qualify for this perk.

Thanks so much! That cinches it for us. We'll enjoy what we booked and not rush to the port. Thanks to both of you. Happy sailing.:boat:

I agree! Thanks for all the great info. I think we've decided to just stick with the verandah room we booked since we love the location we were able to pick. Upgrading to a Cat V doesn't seem to have enough perks and I guess I can check just for fun to see if any suites are available, but I'm thinking I'd rather just put the money towards more souvenirs and wine :-)

This thread is quite interesting. We just got off a 7 night Fantasy, and were able to score a 1BR upgrade from a VGT at the port for a great deal. We could afford to pay the rack rate price for that room, but I would NEVER do it. We have stayed concierge at several Disney resorts, and I wouldn't consider us, or anyone else actually, as steerage. We enjoyed the concierge a great deal, and hopefully didn't detract from the ambiance of the lounge, for those that paid full freight for their concierge room. We would have been fine with what we booked and paid for, and the upgrade was just an awesome score for us. Even better.....once we were in concierge, we were able to score a canceled cabana. Something we wouldn't have been able to get in our regular room. I'm very happy about the deal we got, and think the negative comments about upgraders are just sour grapes at paying more than they could have. But the flip side, they knew exactly what they were getting, we took a gamble. All that being said, may have ruined us for any other cruise! So good luck to those of you that are going to try for an upgrade. We had stayed at the MCO Hyatt, and were on the first bus to the port. We were second in line at the desk.

Now you've got me curious...can you post the amount, or PM me if you want to keep it private? We're sailing during my birthday so I may be able to talk DH into it ;)

This thread is quite interesting. We just got off a 7 night Fantasy, and were able to score a 1BR upgrade from a VGT at the port for a great deal. We could afford to pay the rack rate price for that room, but I would NEVER do it. We have stayed concierge at several Disney resorts, and I wouldn't consider us, or anyone else actually, as steerage. We enjoyed the concierge a great deal, and hopefully didn't detract from the ambiance of the lounge, for those that paid full freight for their concierge room. We would have been fine with what we booked and paid for, and the upgrade was just an awesome score for us. Even better.....once we were in concierge, we were able to score a canceled cabana. Something we wouldn't have been able to get in our regular room. I'm very happy about the deal we got, and think the negative comments about upgraders are just sour grapes at paying more than they could have. But the flip side, they knew exactly what they were getting, we took a gamble. All that being said, may have ruined us for any other cruise! So good luck to those of you that are going to try for an upgrade. We had stayed at the MCO Hyatt, and were on the first bus to the port. We were second in line at the desk.

I'd also be interested in what the cost was as we're considering the same upgrade.

We are sailing on the Fantasy in a one bedroom suite (T) on 9/15/12. We just booked about two weeks ago since my vacation schedule is usually last minute. I welcome all the upgraders.... I am sorry I took one of your cabins!!

Honestly, if you feel like you are being put out by upgraders, then you obviously shouldn't be traveling concierge. I welcome a full concierge compliment, let's enjoy the cruise and have a great time!!

PS... I am hoping for a royal suite cancellation... Both suites were booked at time of reservation.

We are sailing on the Fantasy in a one bedroom suite (T) on 9/15/12. We just booked about two weeks ago since my vacation schedule is usually last minute. I welcome all the upgraders.... I am sorry I took one of your cabins!!

Honestly, if you feel like you are being put out by upgraders, then you obviously shouldn't be traveling concierge. I welcome a full concierge compliment, let's enjoy the cruise and have a great time!!

PS... I am hoping for a royal suite cancellation... Both suites were booked at time of reservation.

Can I hug you? :goodvibes You have an awesome perspective here. Definitely wish I was sailing with YOU! :cutie:

We too would love to have an idea of the cost of your upgrade. Can you share this with us all? :worship:

FYI we inquired about an upgrade at the port simply because we ended up being the first ones there and we were curious! We had booked a 7 night Alaska with a VGT rate and they had a 1 bedroom available for an additional $2250. We declined since that's half the price of a future cruise for us and we had already been assigned a fantastic verandah room. Just wanted to let everyone know what we were quoted.

neenslovesdisney said:
FYI we inquired about an upgrade at the port simply because we ended up being the first ones there and we were curious! We had booked a 7 night Alaska with a VGT rate and they had a 1 bedroom available for an additional $2250. We declined since that's half the price of a future cruise for us and we had already been assigned a fantastic verandah room. Just wanted to let everyone know what we were quoted.

Wow. So much! There go my upgrade fantasies, lol.

Very interesting thread. I never knew you could even do this. I would like to attempt doing this myself. We are staying at the Hyatt and will be at the dock early, so I don't see we couldn't ask at least.

WARNING TO ALL UPGRADERS! We upgraded on the Fantasy to the concierge level this past July. We loved every second of it. We have already booked our next cruise - DCL Alaska - and booked concierge. After hearing about our last cruise, my neighbor made the remark, "Congratulations. You just upgraded every future vacation." She may be right. So beware. It could happen to you. :rotfl2:

WARNING TO ALL UPGRADERS! We upgraded on the Fantasy to the concierge level this past July. We loved every second of it. We have already booked our next cruise - DCL Alaska - and booked concierge. After hearing about our last cruise, my neighbor made the remark, "Congratulations. You just upgraded every future vacation." She may be right. So beware. It could happen to you. :rotfl2:

LOL!

We upgraded in January when it was just DH and myself, and we have checked for upgrades on every cruise since, but not taken any.

Our biggest issue is, with 4 kids, we need two cabins - which makes even a port upgrade too expensive. :faint:

Very interesting thread. I never knew you could even do this. I would like to attempt doing this myself. We are staying at the Hyatt and will be at the dock early, so I don't see we couldn't ask at least.

It never hurts to ask. If there are no upgrades availalbe there will be a sign posted at the Supervisor's desk. You must fully check in first (which you can do at the ME desk at MCO if you are taking DCL transfers) and then just go to the supervisor's desk when you get to the terminal.

For people checking in at the port you must first check in and then you can go to the supervisor's desk and inqurie about upgrades.

MJ

:surfweb: Do tell!! :surfweb:I may be hooked too, but would love to know what you found was the best experiences for you! Your words may just sell future concierge!!

We are 3 adults traveling in two staterooms. Would the upgrade charge to a category T at the port be any less if we were to trade both staterooms in for the cat T vs. just one stateroom?

We are 3 adults traveling in two staterooms. Would the upgrade charge to a category T at the port be any less if we were to trade both staterooms in for the cat T vs. just one stateroom?

I don't think you can trade two staterooms for one.

The upgrade fee is charged per stateroom upgraded and is predetermined based on the category you are upgrading from and to.

But I don't see why you couldn't only upgrade one and all stay there? :confused3

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter