I advise against storing any GCs on the Disney GC website. It's not a digital wallet and if your account is hacked, funds can be easily transferred from your stored GC to one that the hacker has.
As stated, the web site is not a wallet, just a place to see and transfer values. The monies always sit on the cards, and if someone gets access to your account they can see your card numbers and use it for purchases or transfers. Many people may combine cards as summarized above, but once all the funds are on one card ($1000), they delete the card from the online account. That does not invalidate the card or remove the funds from the card, it just means you can't see the card numbers and card value in your account anymore. The physical card still has the $1000 on it. You can still apply it to charges at Disney. At al later date, you could re-add the card to you account and see the value.

I’m in Baton Rouge, LA and thankfully our power came back on today. I told my wife that we need to find the funds for a whole home generator.

We need to settle on which brand of generator to buy.
My first thoughts were solar, adding panels to the roof etc. but after seeing the devastation, we're no longer comfortable with that. We'd rather go natural gas/propane. Just haven't decided on the brand. There is no way we'd ever buy a gasoline generator when power is out . Good luck and thanks for posting!

Explain this to me like I am 4.. I see that Disney gift cards can be up to $1000, the largest I see physically in Target is up to $500. The up to $500 is fine, just wondering if I set 4 of them up as primary cards on the consolidation website can I add to those as they get lower with other gift cards or is there some special reloadable GC I need to get?

Just adding, here is the link to the dedicated post for: Consolidating your Disney Gift Cards which includes step by step instructions with images and warnings. Please feel free to post any questions you have.

My first thoughts were solar, adding panels to the roof etc. but after seeing the devastation, we're no longer comfortable with that. We'd rather go natural gas/propane. Just haven't decided on the brand. There is no way we'd ever buy a gasoline generator when power is out . Good luck and thanks for posting!
My brother has natural gas emergency gen at his house (Lake Orion) and at the cabin up north. Both have worked out very well over the years. My niece is getting hers put in sometime in Dec (Ann Arbor). She's been on the waitlist since June.

Are you using the PayPal app or website? I couldn't get the Target offer to show up on the app but using my phone's browser and logging in thru the PayPal website worked.
Browser on my phone. I do not have have nor do I want the app. It worked for Target but can't get it to work for Walmart. Has anyone added the Walmart deal in the last day or 2 to their PayPal account?

I’m in Baton Rouge, LA and thankfully our power came back on today. I told my wife that we need to find the funds for a whole home generator.

We got a Generac whole house generator about 2 years ago. We’re outside of Buffalo. We don’t get flooding or hurricanes thankfully. But ice storms have left some areas here without power for up to a week. We lost it for 24 hours about 15 years ago. The power lines in our development are buried, but I guess the whole infrastructure for our provider isn’t the best. We’re on the grid with a neighboring town. Our power goes out with severe windstorms or occasional random storms for a few hours at a time. We’ve been getting ourselves & our home ready for our retirement, so we decided to get a generator so we wouldn’t be sitting around in the dark or worrying about it as we got older. Ours was about $10K & we are happy we did it. There was a less expensive model, but we decided to get one that would power our whole 1600 sq ft home with power to spare, in case we ever need it. So far this year, it has kicked on maybe 6 times. Most were for just a few minutes but a couple were for several hours. Very reassuring to know we can charge our phones & our heat, AC, sump pump, fridge & freezer will keep working if the power is out. My elderly mom lives in a nearby town & uses oxygen at night. Again, reassuring to know we could bring her here too if her power ever goes out. The pipe coming out of the house isn’t pretty, but it’s definitely been worth it so far. Good luck with your decisions!

As stated, the web site is not a wallet, just a place to see and transfer values. The monies always sit on the cards, and if someone gets access to your account they can see your card numbers and use it for purchases or transfers. Many people may combine cards as summarized above, but once all the funds are on one card ($1000), they delete the card from the online account. That does not invalidate the card or remove the funds from the card, it just means you can't see the card numbers and card value in your account anymore. The physical card still has the $1000 on it. You can still apply it to charges at Disney. At al later date, you could re-add the card to you account and see the value.
Ok I'll admit it here....I haven't checked the dis gc website since they did the changeover...so now we're not supposed to leave any cards on there? That sounds more complicated than it used to be....

Ok I'll admit it here....I haven't checked the dis gc website since they did the changeover...so now we're not supposed to leave any cards on there? That sounds more complicated than it used to be....
In truth, you never should have left a GC with a balance sitting in the account. Disney is just being more truthful about it not being a digital wallet. It was never a secure place to store your GCs and there were reports years ago of accounts being hacked and drained.

The concern about leaving cards in the online system existed in the old system as well. Many folks had the same concern and followed the practice already. With converting to the new system, I just feel the likelihood/opportunity of being hacked went up. The same username/password is used through the entire Disney system.

My brother has natural gas emergency gen at his house (Lake Orion) and at the cabin up north. Both have worked out very well over the years. My niece is getting hers put in sometime in Dec (Ann Arbor). She's been on the waitlist since June.

We got a Generac whole house generator about 2 years ago. We’re outside of Buffalo. We don’t get flooding or hurricanes thankfully. But ice storms have left some areas here without power for up to a week. We lost it for 24 hours about 15 years ago. The power lines in our development are buried, Good luck with your decisions!

Thanks for posting! When we bought our home 25 years ago, I made a master savings plan allocating X amount per month for updates our home would need as the years passed. Our first purchase was the hot water heater, then a new roof, a few appliances and in 2020 we were suppose to get all new doors. We're actually on a waiting list for those.
With that money I'm trying to stretch it out as far as I can buying discounted gift cards. I think with the generator we'll apply for new cc's and get a bunch of Visa/mc gift cards.

Meijer: Buy $150+ Visa Gift Cards & Get $10 Off
Expires 9/11/21. GC Galore

Office Depot/OfficeMax: Buy $100 Happy & Giving Good Gift Cards & Earn $25 Rewards
In store only. Limit $25 in rewards per member.
Must present Office Depot OfficeMax Rewards Member # to cashier in store at time of purchase.
Expires 9/18/21. GC Galore

Office Depot/OfficeMax: Buy $100 Happy & Giving Good Gift Cards & Earn $25 Rewards
In store only. Limit $25 in rewards per member.
Must present Office Depot OfficeMax Rewards Member # to cashier in store at time of purchase.
Expires 9/18/21. GC Galore

Can the rewards be used to buy another gift card?

The concern about leaving cards in the online system existed in the old system as well. Many folks had the same concern and followed the practice already. With converting to the new system, I just feel the likelihood/opportunity of being hacked went up. The same username/password is used through the entire Disney system.
Exactly! I never kept the cards on my account, and my account in the old system was hacked a few years ago. But because I didn't store cards on there, they didn't get anything.

We got a Generac whole house generator about 2 years ago. We’re outside of Buffalo. We don’t get flooding or hurricanes thankfully. But ice storms have left some areas here without power for up to a week. We lost it for 24 hours about 15 years ago. The power lines in our development are buried, but I guess the whole infrastructure for our provider isn’t the best. We’re on the grid with a neighboring town. Our power goes out with severe windstorms or occasional random storms for a few hours at a time. We’ve been getting ourselves & our home ready for our retirement, so we decided to get a generator so we wouldn’t be sitting around in the dark or worrying about it as we got older. Ours was about $10K & we are happy we did it. There was a less expensive model, but we decided to get one that would power our whole 1600 sq ft home with power to spare, in case we ever need it. So far this year, it has kicked on maybe 6 times. Most were for just a few minutes but a couple were for several hours. Very reassuring to know we can charge our phones & our heat, AC, sump pump, fridge & freezer will keep working if the power is out. My elderly mom lives in a nearby town & uses oxygen at night. Again, reassuring to know we could bring her here too if her power ever goes out. The pipe coming out of the house isn’t pretty, but it’s definitely been worth it so far. Good luck with your decisions!
We're outside of Rochester NY. We have a Kohler generator which was a thousand more at the time. We have a close friend who owns a large commercial electric company and that was his recommendation.

My house is just under 2400 sq ft. so We'll find something to run everything. My in-laws next door neighbor has one and he said his was $11k and his house is bigger than mine.

Just adding, here is the link to the dedicated post for: Consolidating your Disney Gift Cards which includes step by step instructions with images and warnings. Please feel free to post any questions you have.

Thank you for this information and link, was very helpful to read it as I had been consolidating and storing gift cards here and considered it a "safe" place to do it. I already had all the PDFs of the cards saved to a folder and now I've made a spreadsheet to keep track of what went where and deleted the cards off the site. Feeling very organized!

While talking about not leaving Disney gift cards in the portal, it should also be mentioned you should also immediately delete any egift cards you receive from your email. (I print them out and also save them in an encrypted word document). You should delete any reference to the egift card including the order details and any order updates. (And once you delete it, you should then delete it from the deleted box and in some email systems like hotmail then you need to delete it a 3rd time to permanently delete it.)

This is because thieves are stealing gift cards from email inboxes right and left - Krebs on Security did an article on it last week - the link is below.

https://krebsonsecurity.com/2021/09/gift-card-gang-extracts-cash-from-100k-inboxes-daily/

RetailMeNot has 10% cash back on shopDisney.com

Does anyone know if RetailMeNot generally pays out for physical gift cards through shop Disney, or only digital? I realize it's not a sure thing either way, but I've had it pay out for digital GC before. Wondering if it's worth trying on a physical one?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter