Update: Stroller as wheelchair - restaurants

from what I understood you to say you planned to leave him in stroller while you got food then put him in highchair. not sure how you will be able to take stroller in buffet line and carry plates for 2 by self. and yes I have had to carry plates for 2. last time we were there I was very glad we had more adults than kids including one that could not sit in highchair. had a great time but food was hard to do esp with the baby. we were not allowed to bring in stroller for a 4 month old who could not sit by self and we didn't have a carseat to use with infant highchair

I was planning to push him with me if allowed. I could not leave him out of my sight. One hand for the stroller and one for a plate. I will just make that one plate count!

Let your server know that you will need help carrying your tray back to the table after you have visited the buffet. They will do that for you, although you may have to wait a few minutes.

When I was going through the Crystal Palace buffet on crutches, I asked if a server could carry my plate back to the table for me and was told that they weren't allowed to do that. However, I've noticed that most Cast Members seem to be more accommodating when children are involved.

We have eaten at H&V with a stroller as a wheelchair a few times and never had any trouble. We told them at check in that we would need to keep it with us and they would just take a chair away from our table as we would push it as far under the table as we could. My son would transfer to a chair to eat but we would use the stroller to take him through the buffet lines
Thank you for all the responses. Although I wanted to know about restaurants in general, my specific concern is the Disney Jr. breakfast at Hollywood & Vine. Obviously a buffet is less than ideal when I'm alone with him, but I think he'd get a kick out of tthese characters, so I'm trying to figure out how to make it work.

We have eaten at H&V with a stroller as a wheelchair a few times and never had any trouble. We told them at check in that we would need to keep it with us and they would just take a chair away from our table as we would push it as far under the table as we could. My son would transfer to a chair to eat but we would use the stroller to take him through the buffet lines

Thank you! This is exactly what i needed.

Thank you! This is exactly what i needed.
but I have seen other have the oppsite happen and granted our was a very young child not wheelchair as stroller but did see an adult in wheelchair have to transfer to chair and wheelchair removed as there wasn't room

but I have seen other have the oppsite happen and granted our was a very young child not wheelchair as stroller but did see an adult in wheelchair have to transfer to chair and wheelchair removed as there wasn't room
Where was that? Was it an especially big power wheelchair? I don't think that my chair (Whill Ci) takes up more than an inch or two more than a dining room chair with arms. I can't imagine being told that I have to transfer at the table. Maybe if it were long benches - but I would think that most if not all restaurants at Disney would be ADA compliant and have some accommodations for someone in a chair.

I live in New Orleans which is now 300 years old. There are places that I cannot go - or I have to take some "different" approaches to entry. On a recent trip to Antoine's (established in 1840) I had to use an elevator in the owner's apartment. It was really weird going through their personal apartment to get entry to the second floor room where I was to have dinner with a group. When I go to Pascal Manales I have to enter through the kitchen. Something similar at the Columns Hotel (I live next door to it) - a back entrance. On a recent trip to Joey K's I could not enter because the ramp they had was too steep. (before I had my power Whill).

I'm used to finding barriers to entry from the street, but I've never been told that I could not stay in my chair.

Where was that? Was it an especially big power wheelchair? I don't think that my chair (Whill Ci) takes up more than an inch or two more than a dining room chair with arms. I can't imagine being told that I have to transfer at the table. Maybe if it were long benches - but I would think that most if not all restaurants at Disney would be ADA compliant and have some accommodations for someone in a chair.

I live in New Orleans which is now 300 years old. There are places that I cannot go - or I have to take some "different" approaches to entry. On a recent trip to Antoine's (established in 1840) I had to use an elevator in the owner's apartment. It was really weird going through their personal apartment to get entry to the second floor room where I was to have dinner with a group. When I go to Pascal Manales I have to enter through the kitchen. Something similar at the Columns Hotel (I live next door to it) - a back entrance. On a recent trip to Joey K's I could not enter because the ramp they had was too steep. (before I had my power Whill).

I'm used to finding barriers to entry from the street, but I've never been told that I could not stay in my chair.
was at Hollywood and Vine same as op was asking about. we were asked to move a regular chair in closer to table while having to hold infant because she could not sit in highchair. it was a regular push wheelchair not even a power chair. was a 4 top table which was very close to next 4 top. if I remember correctly person in wheelchair was using crutches to go thru buffet line but I wasn't paying that close attention as had 2 older grandkids besides the baby who wanted my attention

We use stroller as wheelchair for similar reasons, though we also use it due to seizures. I think the difference in experience in using stroller as wheelchair may be the cast member seeing the tag. I've learned when challenged to either point out the tag or just tell them "stroller as wheelchair". Once we've pointed it out, we've been allowed to take it in, though I usually get him to a seat then park it out of the way close enough to get to in an emergency.

We use stroller as wheelchair for similar reasons, though we also use it due to seizures. I think the difference in experience in using stroller as wheelchair may be the cast member seeing the tag. I've learned when challenged to either point out the tag or just tell them "stroller as wheelchair". Once we've pointed it out, we've been allowed to take it in, though I usually get him to a seat then park it out of the way close enough to get to in an emergency.

Thank you. I have decided that I'm going to try. I'm always polite, and will go into this expecting not to have a problem, but if i do, no big deal. We'll adjust.

We’ve eaten a Hollywood and Vine every trip for about the last 4 years.
We’ve never been asked if our daughter can transfer and she’s always used her wheelchair at the table.

I don’t actually remember ever being asked if she can transfer. But, she’s got an obviously custom wheelchair.

How much does your kiddo weigh? In crowded spots we use our toddler Lenny lamb soft carrier. My oldest is 40+ lbs 4 yo and still fits fine. It’s not comfortable all day but it would work perfect for a line. In fact, we have to use it in line even with the DAS or kiddo would run away and be completely dysregulated.

How much does your kiddo weigh? In crowded spots we use our toddler Lenny lamb soft carrier. My oldest is 40+ lbs 4 yo and still fits fine. It’s not comfortable all day but it would work perfect for a line. In fact, we have to use it in line even with the DAS or kiddo would run away and be completely dysregulated.

He's 33 lbs. I will check this out. I'm completely avoiding thinking about the bus, but this may be good for then. Thank you!

He's 33 lbs. I will check this out. I'm completely avoiding thinking about the bus, but this may be good for then. Thank you!
I know the web site my sweet pickles sells this brand. If you can hold off (not sure dates trip) they usually have great sales on Black Friday. I’ve used ergo and Tula and they're not as good. Especially with a heavy kid. My 32 lb 3 year old feels like a Feather.

They may also have the simpl dimpl in stock. I highly recommend one! Good distraction toy.

We fly so we put our car seats on the stroller and we each wear a kid.

I think it will depend on the restaurant, how crowded it is, how much space there is between tables, and how wheel-accessible the dining room is. I have been asked to leave a manual wheelchair outside more than once because there simply wasn't room to bring it in.
And what would they do if you didn't have the ability to walk? There is usually always an option available.

You can absolutely use your "Stroller as wheelchair" in the restaurant, any restaurant that is accessible (which I believe is every restaurant). What you should do to avoid any issues is when you make your reservation, there is a box you can click that states if you need wheelchair accessibility. Then it is marked on your reservation and they won't have to scramble to find you an appropriate spot when you arrive. Do not feel pressured to abandon the wheelchair because they ask if your child can transfer. Some people prefer to transfer to eat if they are able. You have the wheelchair tag for a reason and will be able to use it at the restaurant. Have fun!

And what would they do if you didn't have the ability to walk? There is usually always an option available.

Since I can't read minds, I can't possibly know, which was the entire point of my previous comment. I thought that was self-explanatory.

At more than one attraction, I've been told that they offered no accommodation for my visual impairment (even though I know other guests have received it) and that if that wasn't satisfactory I was free to leave. I don't see why it would not be the same for restaurants. (However, as I said before, some CM's will make exceptions for children that they won't make for adults.)

When I was going through the Crystal Palace buffet on crutches, I asked if a server could carry my plate back to the table for me and was told that they weren't allowed to do that. However, I've noticed that most Cast Members seem to be more accommodating when children are involved.

That may have been specific to the CM. I’ve had CMs offer several times to carry my plate/tray for me, which is nice since I’m usually solo. I remember one time I think the CM wanted to get out of the kitchen. He didn’t ask - he told me he’d help. Then he made sure to get me napkins, a new straw, etc.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter