Update- some GOOD some bad some sort of big: early entry returning Oct 1?

Though I love to hear the rumors, I do hold much faith in them until I see/hear it officially from Disney....

The one very odd thing I am seeing is that all these changes are occuring right after the new guide books come out so now all of them will be old out dated before they are even in the book stores.

The return of something like Early Entry has to rank as the biggest “WELL DUH!!!!!” in Disney history. Despite all the rumblings about research, the original cancellation had absolutely nothing to do with surveys, analysis, or guests’ desires. It was a cost savings move pure and simple on the part of people who can read a PowerPoint presentation but do not understand business (they ended saving a small amount of operating costs but killed the hotel occupancy rate – just as everyone said it would). All the talk about “character interaction” was just marketing to justify their actions.

Disney’s fiscal year starts on October 1st. You can expect to see some other changes and/or tradeoffs around that date too when new budgets start. Of course, any restorations at WDW are really subject to the ratings at ABC and the which side is currently leading in the Orlando-Burbank tug-of-war.

P.S. Also from the WDWMagic.com piece on Epcot rumors is “The project has the rather appropriate name of "Project Gemini". Hmmm….. let’s see, Gemini is the constellation of the twins…well, what are twins…two separate, but jointed people…what could they do to Epcot that would be like that?....

Originally posted by Another Voice

P.S. Also from the WDWMagic.com piece on Epcot rumors is “The project has the rather appropriate name of "Project Gemini". Hmmm….. let’s see, Gemini is the constellation of the twins…well, what are twins…two separate, but jointed people…what could they do to Epcot that would be like that?....

A riddle from AV...I'm not good at these. :(

Two Spaceship Earths ? ....nah way to much money. Ok I'm out of ideas.

Originally posted by WDW2002
Though I love to hear the rumors, I do hold much faith in them until I see/hear it officially from Disney....
Actually, this has been made official via a press release from Disney.

Europa - think two parks. Future World and World Showcase. AV's riddle has to do with separating the parks to let locals into World Showcase to dine/shop at night. There were some other threads on this board relating to this topic a while ago...

Originally posted by Another Voice

So they really are going to split Epcot into two parks with seperate admissions? I guess that is one way to add a fifth gate, break up one gate into two.

Originally posted by mjstaceyuofm
Europa - think two parks. Future World and World Showcase. AV's riddle has to do with separating the parks to let locals into World Showcase to dine/shop at night. There were some other threads on this board relating to this topic a while ago...

Yeah I saw that but thought it had been shot down due to logistical problems ?

Im glad to see the return of EE(if it actually happens) and never did believe the pr BS from disney that more people wanted to see the characters than take part in EE.
But its also sad to see Hunchback leave. I enjoyed the show alot more than Beauty and the Beast which should have been the one gotten rid of IMHO.

Originally posted by mjstaceyuofm
Actually, this has been made official via a press release from Disney.
Do you have a link to this press release?? I looked on their site and the lastest press release is from July.

How depressing. Hunchback is my favorite show at WDW. And I thought I had recently read that it had been extended like four years. I guess not. Oh well, it will make my trip planning a little easier--I had really planned my upcoming trip to make sure that I was at MGM/DS on a day when Hunchback was playing. Now I guess any day is as good as any other!

The Hunchback Show is my favorite of all the WDW stage shows. I agree that Beauty & the Beast is long overdue (it never was as good as the DL version) but with the movie being released on DVD next month, there is probably a re-birth of Beauty & the Beast things.

I wonder how long until those puppets end up on Ebay. I wish I had the money for them. :(

Do you have a link to this press release?? I looked on their site and the lastest press release is from July.
Here's what I dredged up from the financial pages....

Walt Disney World Announces Entertainment Update

Beginning in October 2002, Walt Disney World will be making a major expansion of the entertainment product, including:

* More Disney characters meeting guests in the Magic Kingdom every day - from a special park opening "character flood" at the Train Station, to characters strolling the streets. In all, there will be more characters at the Magic Kingdom on a daily basis than ever before.

* More character "meet and greets" at Epcot World Showcase.

* After a successful trial run, the "Princess Storybook Breakfast" at the Norway Pavilion in Epcot becomes a regular offering.

* The Beauty and the Beast - Live on Stage show at the Disney-MGM Studios expands to 7-days a week.

* Mickey's Not-So-Scary Halloween Party adds two additional nights this year making a total of seven nights, (October 11, 17, 20, 25, 27, 31 & November 1)

* Now live entertainment is added to this year's Epcot International Food & Wine Festival with the "Eat to the Beat" music series starring "The Temptations Review," "The 5th Dimension," "Sister Sledge," and "Chubby Checker," among others. The Festival begins October 19, 2002.

With all this new entertainment, Walt Disney World will hire 450 new Cast Members, both full and part-time.

Starting October 1st, Walt Disney World will unveil the new Extra Magic Hour program giving exclusive time at the theme parks for resort guests, at no additional charge. Each day, one of the four parks will open one hour early on a rotating basis to Disney resort guests providing an "Extra Magic Hour" for the guests. At the same time, we will be discontinuing our Character Caravan, where characters greeted guests at select hotels during the week. After listening to our guests, they told us they wanted more time in the theme parks and more time with the characters.

The schedule will be as follows:

Sunday = Magic Kingdom
Monday = Animal Kingdom
Tuesday = MGM Studios
Wednesday = Epcot
Thursday = Magic Kingdom
Friday = Animal Kingdom
Saturday = MGM Studios

"Disney's The Hunchback of Notre Dame - A Musical Adventure" will give its final performance on September 28, ending a 7-year run at the Disney-MGM Studios. This show was created to coincide with the theatrical release of Hunchback back in 1996. This stage show has run twice as long as originally intended which is a testament to the show quality and the Cast.

Walt Disney World Extends the 100 Years of Magic Celebration.

The 4-park party continues through February 28, 2003! The Walt Disney World 100 Years of Magic Celebration is too good to end, so it won't! The theme park announced today the biggest celebration ever will now continue through February 28, 2003. The 100 Years of Magic Celebration kicked off last year on October 1, 2001, with new live entertainment, new attractions and special events at all four of the Walt Disney World theme parks, The celebration marks the 100th anniversary of the birth of the company founder, Walt Disney, who was born on December 5, 1901.

Walt Disney World Resort President, Al Weiss says "100 Years of Magic has been such a hit with guests, we are thrilled to extend the celebration, allowing even more guests to experience it."

100 Years of Magic is centered at the Disney-MGM Studios where a 122-foot tall Sorcerer's Hat greets guests coming down Hollywood Boulevard. Also at the park, the "Walt Disney: One Man's Dream" attraction showcases memorabilia from the Walt Disney Archives that never before have been available to the public. The celebration also includes more live entertainment than ever before, featuring four exciting parades, plus new shows and attractions across property.

Folks, if ever some doubted that WDW management is powerless then this little tidbit should relieve that. Frankly, I remember several of us being questioned on the returns of "cuts".
Now come on, Scoop. The "power" in this case, belongs to the guests, not any management group. If WDW management had the power, they would be able to get what they wanted before plummeting attendance forced Burbank to allow changes to be made.

I was one of those who said the cuts WOULD return, that they were a necessary reaction to events beyond their control. I only changed my tune when the outside forces began to relent, yet the most important cuts (hours, EE, etc) were not only not returned, but deepened.

I really liked the Hunchback show, and am disappointed its leaving. However, I don't really have a handle on how popular it was, so if the answer to that is "not very", then I can't blame them for closing it, though once again, there needs to be a replacement.

My Hunchback comments pretty much apply to Tarzan as well, though its a little more puzzleing given the "not enough to do" criticisms of AK. Or have those criticisms waned due to DR?

If the schedule for EE is correct, having MK on Sunday is probably an effort to balance the crowds, which makes sense. Why make Saturday more crowded by having EE on Saturday?

EE is a nice add back for some folks, but if its coupled with 2 attractions shutting down, and a parade schedule being decreased, its still hard to get too excited.

The Epcot thing has been reported by Scoop as well as Screamscape and others for the last couple of months. Until we get any details as to how much money it is, and how it will be spent, its just too hard to make a judgement.

As AV points out, the name "Gemini" is quite ominous...

Y EE HAAAAAAAAA!

I feel somewhat personally responsible, with numerous emails, phone calls, and mentioning it to just about every CM I ran into or got on the phone. I just knew there was enormous pressure on them for the return. I just didn't think they would listen. Color me wrong on this one. Turns out it was popular after all, eh? What fantastic news!

Bittersweet, though, as we lose an absolutely fantastic stage show in Hunchback. You bet your bottom dollar I'll be in the audience for the final Sep 28th show.

PS hows about another clue Mr. Voice? oh, wait, I think I figured it out. It's that "seperate WS & FW thing" isn't it?

I cant disagree with raidermatt's post. But from my own personnel experience every time i went to Huncback, always twice pertrip it wasalways busy. But i realize that isnt a proper way to judge how busy the show was but we always got there early to make sure we had good seats and it was always a good sized crowd.
Now if only disney could make a animated film again with as good a sound track!!!
And im jealous, i wish i could see it again live but will have to watch my taped footage instead.

%^%&*^(*^&)(*)*!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just a little personal rant because I've never seen Tarzan Rocks or the Hunchback Show....these are the last couple of remnants from my "New things to do at WDW" list! But then, I guess that's part of the reason they're being discontinued....I wasn't the only one who didn't go it seems. Not for a lack of wanting to on my part...just our particular way of touring (we pick a couple old favorites to see and maybe one or two new things each time we go to a park.....)

I did see a preview for Treasure Planet yesterday (on the Monsters DVD....my 2yo was completely enchanted with Boo...heck, she is Boo...only blonde!) and was wondering if they might change the Tarzan show to a Treasure Planet show..from what I could tell they could use the same extreme sports sort of format.

I really wish I could just hop in the car and head to WDW for a quick trip to see these before they end! Hmmmm...I'm free this weekend. If only we lived in SC.....

It is upsetting to see things go. And I'm really unhappy about the idea of splitting Epcot as AV is hinting. Sounds like a positively hideous idea unless seperate admissions are done on a wristband system where we can still pass freely from one area of the park to another. But that's for another thread...

Anyway...I'm thrilled to hear that some form of ee is being returned. Though I think it would have been much more cost effective for them to do it only at MK or at MK and MGM (Epcot's attendance is low and AK opens early enough anyway. At this point only MK is really essential to us (but, hey, if we can manage to get up the others are really cool too....my kids have turned out to be more morning challenged than I am though...)

p.s. when thinking "Gemini" don't get too carried away with the "two parks" idea. Think instead about the time period for the constellation Gemini. Next spring...
Oh this just keeps getting better and better! I'm totally up for a thread that grows to 100 posts in a short period of time.

TheDscoop-I was one of the people who stated they wouldnt stay onsite without EE. And as long as it is in operation when i return i will stay onsite. For me and my family that perk is worth the extra cost of staying onsite!!! Im not happ with Hunchback closing but im very happy about the return of EE!!!

Originally posted by Bob O
For me and my family that perk is worth the extra cost of staying onsite!!! Im not happ with Hunchback closing but im very happy about the return of EE!!!

Feel the exact same way Bob...If it's still there for our visit in Nov. For those of us the wrote letters, called, emailed or spoke to managers at Disney this is a victory. Hunchback was a show that we had not seen either but were planning on seeing it when we go in Nov...too bad. Lets hope this is just the start of good things at Disney. I've got my eye on shinny new car # 2 if this sort of thing keeps up, which is a huge step up from my car #3

back to the Gemini thing...so it's not the two park idea?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter