UPDATE on page 8 Taking dh to urgent care tomorrow

I don't have a problem with OP not taking the advice offered. Nobody knows her DH as well as she does, and none of us here care as much about him as she does.

She asks for advice, considers it -- and then does what she thinks is best for him. I see no problem with that.
I’d agree with you on this if he didn’t have blood in his urine. To me that is a go to the ER now!

The OP is getting some heat for not taking her DH to the ER, but he is an adult. My DH generally will hear me out, but he makes his own decisions and if we weren’t insured, he’d have to be bleeding out to go to the ER. Heck, we have insurance and he drags his feet about even just an office visit.

Update

Woke up this morning symptom free except he has a rash all over his body so we are not going to urgent care but getting a byndryl cream for the rash

If your DH is having an allergic reaction to the antibiotic, Benadryl cream is not going to cut it. More importantly, his doctor needs to see him to determine if it is an allergic reaction. If it is an allergic reaction and his doctor doesn't know, the next time he is prescribed this medication it will be worse. You really don't want to have your DH go into full blown anaphylactic shock.

I'm going to be the alarmist jerk here:

Everyone else is saying COVID, because that's all anyone has on their mind when anyone is sick with anything now.

But I'm going to point out that ALL of these symptoms align with kidney disease. Rashes are HUGELY common in CKD.

Symptoms of kidney disease:
Fatigue (failing kidneys make less EPO, which means fewer red blood cells carting oxygen to the brain, causing fatigue)
Fever/chills (anemia and inflammation)
Nausea/vomiting (build up of waste in the bloodstream)
Body aches (build up of waste in the bloodstream, as well as electrolyte imbalances)
Blood in urine (self-explanatory)
Rashes (can be caused by uremic frost - when urea has built up to the point it comes out in sweat and irritates the skin)
Absence of localized pain in the kidneys (the most common causes of kidney disease don't cause any pain)

All of these symptoms can also fluctuate if the kidneys haven't totally failed.

You asked if anyone has come across this before and that you were "looking for ideas." My dad had all of these symptoms intermittently for several years as his kidney disease progressed. So yes. I have come across these symptoms before. There's my idea. Take it or leave it.

I'm going to be the alarmist jerk here:

Everyone else is saying COVID, because that's all anyone has on their mind when anyone is sick with anything now.

But I'm going to point out that ALL of these symptoms align with kidney disease. Rashes are HUGELY common in CKD.

Symptoms of kidney disease:
Fatigue (failing kidneys make less EPO, which means fewer red blood cells carting oxygen to the brain, causing fatigue)
Fever/chills (anemia and inflammation)
Nausea/vomiting (build up of waste in the bloodstream)
Body aches (build up of waste in the bloodstream, as well as electrolyte imbalances)
Blood in urine (self-explanatory)
Rashes (can be caused by uremic frost - when urea has built up to the point it comes out in sweat and irritates the skin)
Absence of localized pain in the kidneys (the most common causes of kidney disease don't cause any pain)

All of these symptoms can also fluctuate if the kidneys haven't totally failed.

You asked if anyone has come across this before and that you were "looking for ideas." My dad had all of these symptoms intermittently for several years as his kidney disease progressed. So yes. I have come across these symptoms before. There's my idea. Take it or leave it.

My Mom has chronic kidney disease/failure.. she holds her own - for now. But you are spot on with the assessment of the symptoms of CKD. I’ll add itching of the skin and swelling of the extremities, particularly the ankles. Swelling or bloating of the abdomen is also on the list of things to watch for, as the kidneys fail fluids build in the abdominal cavity.
The electrolyte balance goes out of whack.. sending all the minerals and vitamins into chaos. potassium, B12, iron, etc... all the functional things necessary for optimum health.
My Mom’s kidneys function at 23.. thankfully not low enough to require dialysis.

If your DH is having an allergic reaction to the antibiotic, Benadryl cream is not going to cut it. More importantly, his doctor needs to see him to determine if it is an allergic reaction. If it is an allergic reaction and his doctor doesn't know, the next time he is prescribed this medication it will be worse. You really don't want to have your DH go into full blown anaphylactic shock.

He has a appointment in Wednesday with his own doctor and will bring the antibiotic that urgent care gave him so they can note he is allergic

Last edited:
He has a appointment in Wednesday with his own doctor and will bring the antibiotic that urgent care gave him so they can note he is allergic
We hope it is that simple but what many here have been trying to explain is that the rash may well be a symptom of a more serious kidney issue, NOT a reaction to the meds.

I’d agree with you on this if he didn’t have blood in his urine. To me that is a go to the ER now!
I wasn't talking about whether one (or ten) signs or symptoms warranted an ED visit.

I was talking about whether or not a poster has some sort of obligation to follow the advice they receive on an Internet discussion forum. They don't, IMHO.

We hope it is that simple but what many here have been trying to explain is that the rash may well be a symptom of a more serious kidney issue, NOT a reaction to the meds.
Agree -- don't focus on one sign or symptom.

His doctor will look at the ENTIRE patient, including all the things that are not symptoms (medical history, current medications, etc) and go from there.

If it is as simple as a reaction to the meds, he needs a new med or his symptoms are going to come back stronger and worse.

If it is as simple as an infection, the antibiotic started fighting it enough to make it calm down according to your update yesterday. However, without a new antibiotic, the infection will build up an immunity to the antibiotics and will come back. This will make it more difficult to treat as the infection can become antibiotic resistant.

You don't want this to happen. He needs to get in sooner.

What some people don’t know is that OP and her husband are both disabled, with different disabilities. She turns to the boards regularly for advice for things that you or I would think are common sense. No judgement, just some background for people who are frustrated. It may also help people communicate better with her when they are giving advice.

I can't imagine a time when I would have blood in my urine and not see a doctor to be checked out. Even if it passed.
What some people don’t know is that OP and her husband are both disabled, with different disabilities. She turns to the boards regularly for advice for things that you or I would think are common sense. No judgement, just some background for people who are frustrated. It may also help people communicate better with her when they are giving advice.
I think that's someone else.

OP maybe call and express urgency and try to get him in earlier than this coming Wednesday. If symptoms come back or he gets a sudden fever I’d look into the ER. Don’t worry about money. Hospitals will work with you.

I've always felt that unless one has personal knowledge of a poster, ONE HASN'T A CLUE if anything posted is TRUE.

She turns to the boards regularly for advice for things that you or I would think are common sense.
This is obviously just a guess because I don't know the OP other than from her posts on the DIS...but.

I don't think she comes here looking for common sense. I think she comes here because she knows the DIS is a community of very nice people who are always willing to help. AND...who are very seldom judgmentally snarky. That's why the DIS has a "Community" board in the first place.

A LOT of us come here for that reason. I recently started a thread about "I'm basically too dumb to know how to connect a TV set. Help!" I got lots of help from a wide variety of good folks.

If it is as simple as a reaction to the meds, he needs a new med or his symptoms are going to come back stronger and worse.

If it is as simple as an infection, the antibiotic started fighting it enough to make it calm down according to your update yesterday. However, without a new antibiotic, the infection will build up an immunity to the antibiotics and will come back. This will make it more difficult to treat as the infection can become antibiotic resistant.

You don't want this to happen. He needs to get in sooner.

I am sorry if It seemed like I ignored everyone ls advice, I do appreciate hearing what everyone is saying and I told dh about the dangers of stoping the antibiotic too soon he said he wants to wait till this antibiotic is out of his system before starting another antibiotic, I think it is a bad idea however he is a grown man, and I am keeping a very clise eye on him

Latest posts

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter