UPDATE on page 8 Taking dh to urgent care tomorrow

So why do men get antibiotics for UTI but women have to manage it themselves? Seems unfair.
Short answer -- due to anatomical differences.

UTIs are relatively uncommon in males. A UTI will generally signal a severe infection. Females are more prone to irritation and contaminants that may cause similar symptoms without being a true infection. But I've never had a doctor suggest not treating an actual UTI -- they may wait for a culture first if the dipstick is negative, but that's usually only a day or two and probably minor symptoms. A fever with a confirmed UTI usually indicates a renal infection. Those can be harder to treat and overtime repeated renal infections may result in damage to the kidneys.

Ear infections can be caused by either bacteria or virus. Antibiotics do nothing to treat viruses, which generally need to run it's course, treating symptoms as necessary to keep the patient comfortable.

Not really because they do othe same with my kids, citing overuse of antibiotics. My son had to suffer through ear infections as a kid without medication because "it might be viral"--I would take him to the doctor, they would look in his ears and down his throat and say we had to wait and see if he could fight it off himself, he would cry for days until I took him back, THEN they gave him an antibiotic. This happened several times a year until he had his tonsils out when he was 9.

My daughter had 3 UTIs before we figured out what was causing them (a specific brand of bath bomb), 2 of those times they found traces of blood in her urine and she didn't get antibiotics, I was told to push plain water and to bring her back if her symptoms didn't improve. From personal experience I know they won't give me antibiotics until I'm doubled over with back pain from the UTI, I think because at that point my kidneys are involved and it becomes necessary. My friends and their kids have all experienced similar things so I know it's not just us. Is that really not something that other people in the US experience?! Just those of us in my stupid little town? I want to know what kind of doctors you all are seeing, because the ones around here don't pass out the antibiotics so easily.
:confused3 In fairness, if somebody had multiple infections per year, maybe any doctor would address it similarly. Personally, since 2003 (as far back as I can specifically remember), I've only been on antibiotics three times - twice for UTI's and once for a dental abscess. Knowing what I know about UTI's, I'd actually be furious with any doctor of mine that suggested withholding treatment.

So why do men get antibiotics for UTI but women have to manage it themselves? Seems unfair.
I'm 58 and have only ever had one UTI, but I definitely was given antibiotics. I did have a lot of blood passing with urine all night. Really freaked me out.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter