Update on Military Discounts

Not trying to "get away" with anything. Simply went and bought tickets at Disney World. Of course, we were also staying at Shades of Green at the time, so maybe that was the reason no one thought anything of it. :confused3

If you were to buy the tickets at Shades of Green, you would not be able to. It has to be the sponsor or spouse, not a dependent. Also, You might be ok with the hotel....might. When we used the millitary discount last year, they wouldn't let my friend's daughter use her ID and we had to go back out to her car to get hers. Just letting you know.

Not trying to "get away" with anything. Simply went and bought tickets at Disney World. Of course, we were also staying at Shades of Green at the time, so maybe that was the reason no one thought anything of it. :confused3

Not only should you not have been able to buy them, you shouldn't have been able to activate them at the gate.

Ok, wait. You were staying at Shades of Green, did you get Military Salute tickets or Stars and Stripes? They have different rules. The super discounted Military Salute tickets, ($138 and $165 4 day park hoppers or water park and more, or both), can only be activated by service members and spouses. I'm not sure about the other, I've never used those.

ehhhh.... she did two years ago... and no one batted an eye. At that time we were told that as long as she is a military dependent and carries a current military ID, then she is eligible for all military discounts (even at Lowes, lol). So THAT part we weren't concerned with... the part I was wondering about was buying six tickets instead of three.

She shouldn't be allowed to buy tickets, so your best bet is to have a back up plan incase they do not allow it this time. 2 years ago the program was still new and they were still learning the official rules, I wouldn't expect to get a way with it again this year.

This is from the official Disney site about the CURRENT offer: One (1) of the Disney 4-Day Military Promotional Tickets purchased on each occasion must be for use by the Eligible Service Member or spouse.

According to this if they allowed her to buy tickets then she'd only be able to buy 5, since 1 has to be for the service member or spouse. Is there a way for 1 on her parents or whoever the service member is to go with you so you don't have to worry about any of the possible issues?

I can think of 1 major reason they wouldn't allow her to buy tickets, and that would be because it could cause some major issues if the service member or his spouse didn't know someone had used their child's id to purchase the ticket and they went to purchase them themselves... IE My DSS who lives with his mom has an dependent ID, if she took it upon herself to take them to DL or DW and used his ID to purchase tickets without our knowledge, We'd be livid not only with her but with Disney for allowing it. She is not entitled to purchase the tickets and neither are the kids. :mad:(Not saying this is what you are doing, just pointing out why it isn't/shouldn't be allowed).

At Lowes or other places that offer discounts, more often then not its open to dependents too.

ehhhh.... she did two years ago... and no one batted an eye. At that time we were told that as long as she is a military dependent and carries a current military ID, then she is eligible for all military discounts (even at Lowes, lol). So THAT part we weren't concerned with... the part I was wondering about was buying six tickets instead of three.

I believe they changed the rules b/c of things like this. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought it used to be that any dependent was allowed to purchase tickets but that Disney changed it for the latest offer that started in 2010.

1. All current Armed Forces Salute Tickets, whether or not they have been activated, will expire at Midnight on September 30, 2012 even if they have not been sued. Effective October 1 that will not be valid for anything.

2. Nothing has officially been announced by WDW Ticketing Operations concerning any subsequent promotions, so anything that you hear is still rumor.

3. If similar rules are followed, the tickets wiull still require that either the service member, spouse, or unremarried widow will be the only people who can activate the tickets and they must be physically present at a WDW ticket or Guest Relations window.

4. I have a personal hope, but it is not up to me for this decision, that they allow any current AFS tickets which are activated between September 21 and September 30 have a 14 day expiration, which will allow people to activate them prior to expiration and use them through October 4th. This is a thought and is no way to be considered official in any way. I did mention it to someone in ticketing who said it might be considered.

Thank you for your services to the DIS community.
If you could sprinkle your magic, it would make another family very happy.

mmtska said:
If you were to buy the tickets at Shades of Green, you would not be able to. It has to be the sponsor or spouse, not a dependent. Also, You might be ok with the hotel....might. When we used the millitary discount last year, they wouldn't let my friend's daughter use her ID and we had to go back out to her car to get hers. Just letting you know.

The sponsor or sponsor's spouse are only eligible for the military discounted resort rooms, dependents are not eligible.

I believe they changed the rules b/c of things like this. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought it used to be that any dependent was allowed to purchase tickets but that Disney changed it for the latest offer that started in 2010.
Any person with a current DoD ID Card (Active, Reserve, Retired, NG, NAF, USPHS, DoD Civilian, or dependent with DD 1179) may purchased discounted MYW tickets and APs at SoG with no tax.

Specifically the very deeply discounted Armed Forces Salute Tickets must be activated at a Park window and the service member, spouse, or unremarried widow must be physically present with their ID. No other person, no matter what the relationship or paperwork they have, can activate these tickets.

The sponsor or sponsor's spouse are only eligible for the military discounted resort rooms, dependents are not eligible.

I didn't think so. I know you can stay at Shades of Green with just a dependent ID though.

I just got off the phone with Disney reservations. I was told the Miltary Discount is not available yet. "They have some changes to make regarding the numbers before they release it, check back on Friday." :confused3

I am so thankful Disney has extended the discount, now I wish they would open it up for those of us who need it for October 1st. :)

Angel16

I just got off the phone with Disney reservations. I was told the Miltary Discount is not available yet. "They have some changes to make regarding the numbers before they release it, check back on Friday." :confused3

I am so thankful Disney has extended the discount, now I wish they would open it up for those of us who need it for October 1st. :)

Angel16

Shoot. When I called Sunday they said to call back today and I was about to call this afternoon.

Give them a call. Perhaps you will get a different answer or a CM who will go ahead and book it. Good luck and please come back and post your results if you do call. :)

Angel16

Give them a call. Perhaps you will get a different answer or a CM who will go ahead and book it. Good luck and please come back and post your results if you do call. :)

Angel16

Agreed! I had to call a 2nd time (last Friday) to get a CM that was able to book for me. The 1st one told me they weren't in the system yet.

According to Steve at Military Disney Tips, it officially came out today!!! Good luck to all trying to book!!!

Just called and spoke with Bryce (sp?) he applied 30% discount to our Pop century reservation!!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter