Update on Castaway Cay?

dad of 3 addicted to DCL

Love me some DCL
It's been a bit since I've seen an update on the island. Anyone have any news or pictures to share on the rehabilitation of the area? Thanks

I was just there Friday. Serenity Bay looks pretty rough. There were no loungers that I could see. I didn't notice or inquire about the Cabanas. The worst situation is that the sand is very rough and most of it is in the water. The swimming area has been decreased and what is there is less than knee deep and was full of jellyfish. The crew beach is non-existent, unfortunately.

1 Serenity Bay 9-27-19.JPG2 Serenity Bay 9-27-19.JPGCastaway Cay Crew Beach.JPG

Last edited:

I am hoping we get some current family beach photos soon.

I didn't take any pictures there, but it wasn't too much different from Serenity Bay. The beach is wider but the sand is in the water, thus reducing the depth. They were able to have loungers and umbrellas out , but there is a big shelf to step down from the seating to the beach, like in the pictures of Serenity Bay. The swimming areas were reduced and if you are on the Dream or the Fantasy, it is going to be very crowded. The snorkel area was open.

One server said they only had 8 cabanas in use and it looked like their swimming was severely impacted, similar to the crew beach.

I think Disney can get Castaway Cay back to normal in a few weeks though. They really just need to get the sand out of the water, for me. I'm not one to use the Cabanas. The shops were open, even though we had been told by one CM that they were not.

I thought that the foliage had some damage, but not as much as I had seen on previous visits after a hurricane.

If you have any specific questions, I will try to answer them.

I didn't take any pictures there, but it wasn't too much different from Serenity Bay. The beach is wider but the sand is in the water, thus reducing the depth. They were able to have loungers and umbrellas out , but there is a big shelf to step down from the seating to the beach, like in the pictures of Serenity Bay. The swimming areas were reduced and if you are on the Dream or the Fantasy, it is going to be very crowded. The snorkel area was open.

One server said they only had 8 cabanas in use and it looked like their swimming was severely impacted, similar to the crew beach.

I think Disney can get Castaway Cay back to normal in a few weeks though. They really just need to get the sand out of the water, for me. I'm not one to use the Cabanas. The shops were open, even though we had been told by one CM that they were not.

I thought that the foliage had some damage, but not as much as I had seen on previous visits after a hurricane.

If you have any specific questions, I will try to answer them.

Thanks for the info.

Do you know if the cabanas that were closed are closed due to damage to the cabanas or because of their beach//lack of swimming water situation ?

SW

Thanks for the info.

Do you know if the cabanas that were closed are closed due to damage to the cabanas or because of their beach//lack of swimming water situation ?

SW

That I do not know, but I'm going to guess it's due to damage. The people that were using the cabana beach on Friday had a miserable situation, in my opinion.

I was just there on Sunday on the Dream. As others have said, the water level was low. The first pic is of the snorkel beach. The rest are from the Pelican Plunge side. You can see that there is beach visible out in the water looking out past Pelican Plunge. It wasn’t that bad in the morning, but was really noticeable after lunch. We were in the water almost near the buoy and my 10 and 8 year old were still able to touch the bottom. This really didn’t impact our day at all. If anything, it helped with the crowding because everyone could spread out and go farther out in the water since it was so shallow. We had beautiful weather and enjoyed the day in the water. We didn’t use the kids area or book any excursions.

Attachments

• 31BFB46E-F4BD-44AD-B486-775A83B0F51A.jpeg
    31BFB46E-F4BD-44AD-B486-775A83B0F51A.jpeg
    130 KB · Views: 230
  • EAA80629-8EFF-4D02-80D7-BA8D6650022F.jpeg
    EAA80629-8EFF-4D02-80D7-BA8D6650022F.jpeg
    93.6 KB · Views: 226
  • 613FE0F6-4490-4A2E-A1C1-223DCA2C507C.jpeg
    613FE0F6-4490-4A2E-A1C1-223DCA2C507C.jpeg
    87.3 KB · Views: 230
  • 1E5733FE-A948-40DD-8791-799505038229.jpeg
    1E5733FE-A948-40DD-8791-799505038229.jpeg
    128.5 KB · Views: 219
We were at Castaway Cay on Wednesday. Still no loungers or umbrellas at Serenity Bay, only the beach chairs. We didn't stay long as we wanted to have a lounger and some shade.
Did you go to the family beaches at all? It seems that they'd be in (a little) better shape as they are protected from the storm surge somewhat

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter