• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Up Where They Walk, Up Where They Run: Going the Distance with Disney & My Dissertation (comments welcome!)

TriFit Challenge Race Report
Sunday, July 31 2022

Today I completed my second tri of the summer. It was a B race in prep for my Olympic-distance triathlon in Chicago at the end of August.

I have done this race 3 times (2017, 2018, and 2019). It is affiliated with Ohio State which is where I go to graduate school, and it ends on campus. I have done the sprint distance twice and the super sprint distance once.

This race is a little weird because it has two separate transitions. I had to drive to the park on Saturday to check my bike into T1. I have not been feeling great, and I can’t really tell if it is physical or mental or both. After coming home on Saturday I felt like I had a fever even though I did not. I basically slept the rest of the day but my body battery hardly improved. I took a COVID test, and it was negative. I managed to eat some dinner and drank 24 oz of water with 1500 mg of sodium (Precision Hydration). I prepped all of my stuff in two bags (depending on which transition it was for). I was contemplating not racing, and I spent the night waking up every hour wondering if I should not go. I was sweating a lot and my heart rate was a little elevated.

But, since my bike was at T1 and it would have been a fiasco to go get it, I got my butt out of bed at 5:15 am. I took a quick shower rinse because I felt gross, got ready, and was in my car by 5:45 am. The drive was short and the Disney tunes of “Stand Out,” “Bet On It,” and “I’ll Make a Man Out of You” helped motivate me. I also listened to “Case of the Ex” because that’s a good song… (spoiler alert: apparently I should make it a pre-race ritual bc every time I listen to that song before a race I end up PRing/doing well).

I had to drive to OSU where T2 was, drop off my car and set up my run stuff in T2, and then take a shuttle back to the park where the race would start. It felt like a Disney race— by the time I got in the shuttle, I had already walked a mile.

I met up with my coach and some other athletes he works with at the park. Because of the shuttle system, I had to get there way early— I was there around 6:40 am and didn’t start until after 8 am. I still felt pretty bad and decided to ask the race director if I could switch from the sprint (750 yard swim, 20k bike, 5k run) to the mini (250 yard swim, 20k bike, 2 mile run). He was really nice and said that was fine. This relieved a lot of my anxiety. I ate a bite of banana, drank about 12 oz of water with more Precision Hydration in it, used the bathroom, and then made my way to the lake start. Now that I was doing the mini I had an even longer wait, but it went by quickly. I pet two dogs and chatted with the people around me. I was happy it was cloudy because I always have trouble spotting on the swim when the sun is in my eyes.

The Swim
Official Time: 8:45 (250 yards); 80/113
Watch Time: 7:45 (245 yards); 3:03 pace

I ended my watch as soon as I got out of the water, whereas the timing mat was after a bit of a run, so my watch time is more accurate.

This was a counterclockwise triangular swim that was pretty straightforward. The water was warmer than expected but still wetsuit legal. Nothing noteworthy to report here.

Transition 1
Official Time: 5:56
Watch Time: 6:56

This transition involved a long uphill. I don’t know how far exactly. I usually walk the transitions but my coach told us to run them because we never know if those seconds could change our finish placement. So, I “ran” it… I hate running barefoot on concrete. Sensitive feet. But I am very glad I did it, as you’ll see. Because of the two transition situation, we had to pack up everything into a gear back and drop it off at gear check on our way out which took extra time.

The Bike
Official Time: 47:39 (12.4 miles); 64/113
Watch Time: 46:30 (12.42 miles); 16 mph

Wooooo I love getting on my bike. This course felt fast. Apparently it had 503 feet of climbing and 445 feet of descent. Maybe there was a tailwind. My coach had also done a course preview and noted when the hills were which helped me a lot psychologically. I passed a lot of people on the bike. Zoom zoom. The roads weren’t completely closed but there was a lot of traffic at the intersections, and I felt sort of bad for the cars. Thank you, patient drivers!

During the bike I drank a little under 16 oz of water with Liquid IV and ate one clif blok. At the end, I made a wrong turn and did an extra loop behind a building because of it. In my defense, the arrow was pointing into that driveway… lol. It wasn’t a big deal, just annoying.

Transition 2
Official Time: 3:13
Watch Time: 4:21
I thought I switched my watch with the timing mats but I guess I did not. This transition was straightforward. The person who was next to me just left their bike slumped over. The space was already really tight, and the person on my other side got there at the same time I did. So it took up some time waiting for her to rack her bike and then maneuvering mine. I switched my shoes and put my hat on.

The Run
Official Time: 24:21 (2 miles); 91/113
Watch Time: 24:32 (1.96 miles); 12:31 min/mile avg
I did 60:30 run/walk intervals. Apparently my first mile was 11:14. That seems fake but I looked at the data, and I guess it is correct. I think I feel like I’m going a lot slower than I am because my legs are jello after the bike but cutting down my walk intervals seems to have made a difference. The second mile was a lot slower (13:50) because I walked some small hills (110 feet ascent/26 feet descent) and through the water stop. The water was so cold and tasted sooo good. The run was through OSU’s campus, which I am very familiar with but haven’t been too much since the pandemic. Before I knew it, I was at the finish line!

Total Official Time: 1:29:52

*drum roll*
I got first in the Athena category!!! (out of 4). Athena is a category you can opt into in lieu of an age group— it is for women who weigh over 165 lbs. I beat second place by a mere 3 seconds… I guess it is good I ran T1!

My overall place was 75/113, and my gender place was 31/58. Considering I felt pretty awful and almost didn’t even come to the race, I am very proud of myself.

After the race I got a special plaque during the award ceremony. They went through all of the overall and age group awards and did not call Athena or Clydesdale (the male equivalent). So I had to ask if they were doing it, and then they gave me my award. That was a little annoying. I grabbed an uncrustable and bag of lays— perfect post-race snack IMO— got some pics with my coach and his athletes, picked up my gear bag, and drove home.

I don’t feel as feverish as I did in the morning but my stomach does hurt and feel crampy. My body battery is 8/100. I think the adrenaline of winning Athena is masking my pain lol.

21A01C01-49AD-446F-AB39-DF53F76B908F.jpeg
(Image description: Selfie of me with my award!)

128BB2E5-CA1C-4D0C-A9AA-31D464332F2C.jpeg
(Image description: Screenshot of official race results.)

Overall, I am proud of myself for showing up even if I did change my distance at the last minute. I am also very proud of the run. I have been doing a fair amount of brick workouts (running immediately after the bike), and they seem to be paying off.

My last bit of gratitude is for the weather. It was about 65 degrees with a dew point of 60 plus full cloud cover. Sooo much nicer than it has been. It made a huge difference for me.

Last edited:

I went to a museum event for adults tonight, and they had a Marvel exhibit. Marvel isn’t my -favorite- but it was still pretty cool! I find myself drawn to specific characters (Spider-Man, for example) more than the overall universe. I think my struggle with Marvel is I can never remember the plot of anything 😆

There was a lot of great Ms. Marvel stuff, @DopeyBadger — I took some pictures for G. :)

DF282328-99ED-424C-B508-3075F6E48DF5.jpeg
293CA12F-8756-45D9-9179-8C2DC7D92FAC.jpeg
F232F4B7-3F32-4A77-B0D5-5EB4DFA8E377.jpeg
FEE3C2F5-7B06-4B01-9237-1B51A73233EB.jpeg
(Image description: Ms. Marvel statue, pictures, and text information.)

Here’s a bonus picture of me and Spidey!
9F8A3D9D-735E-4B89-9C69-BBEEFFD467A7.jpeg

Peep my sweet Disney villains shirt. Side note: this event was themed “scum and villainy,” so I assumed it was … villains themed. Hence the Disney shirt. Apparently this is a Star Wars reference, and it was Star Wars themed. I found this out when I asked “where’s Voldemort?” (lots of people were in costume… but they were all SW) and a girl overheard me and was like why would he be here. I’m glad I didn’t dress up as a Disney villain or a Slytherin which were definite possibilities but I was rushed getting ready after my swim workout. Don’t @ me but I do not like Star Wars, haha. It was still fun though.

Peep my sweet Disney villains shirt. Side note: this event was themed “scum and villainy,” so I assumed it was … villains themed. Hence the Disney shirt. Apparently this is a Star Wars reference, and it was Star Wars themed. I found this out when I asked “where’s Voldemort?” (lots of people were in costume… but they were all SW) and a girl overheard me and was like why would he be here. I’m glad I didn’t dress up as a Disney villain or a Slytherin which were definite possibilities but I was rushed getting ready after my swim workout. Don’t @ me but I do not like Star Wars, haha. It was still fun though.
As a huge Star Wars fan, I would have found it hilariously awesome had you shown up in a Harry Potter costume. I always enjoyed seeing some Star Trek costumes at Star Wars races along with a Spaceballs costume as well. I ran the 2017 Avengers Half Marathon at Disneyland dressed as Batman being trained by Yoda and got a few good natured quips and/or compliments since Batman is a different comic company than Marvel. For me it's all in good fun and a willingness to not take one's fandoms too seriously is a good thing.

When I visited the Wizarding World of Harry Potter, I wore a t shirt that says "My Patronus is a Wookiee." Think Chewbacca in the event you don't know what a wookiee is. And if you're not familiar with Chewbacca, just know that wookiees have been known to tear people's arms off if they lose, so one should definitely not mess with a Wookiee in Patronus form. I got a few laughs at Universal and when I later wore it at Disneyland, much epicness ensued as Chewbacca was especially excited to see that.

Today my DH joined me for a run. I had 1 hour 15 minutes planned. I wanted to go to the local trail but he thought he would have to bail out early so I reluctantly agreed to do it in the neighborhood. I set 45:30 intervals (instead of 60:30) since he hasn’t been running at all. After about 1.5 miles he split from me and went home. I finished the run, doing 5.4 miles total.

Tonight, he told me that this was the best he had ever seen me run and that I was too fast for him haha. So I decided to look at where I was a year ago. In September 2021, I did a 5.5 mile run that had an average page of 15:22. My fastest mile was in that run was at 14:38. Today, I ran 5.4 miles with an average pace of 13:56. My fastest mile was 13:20. I think the main big difference is my walk break is less— I used to do 45 or 60 second walk breaks. I don’t know how to see what I did on that run. I don’t know if this matters at all but my best pace in that run last year was 11:55 and today it was 9:45. Another big difference is I was able to sustain my intervals the entire time— last year, I would often take frequent extra walk breaks.

Hooray for progress!

Edit: For the record, this is not actually the fastest I have been since he knew me. I looked at my Athlinks, and I did a 4 mile race in 2015 that had an average pace of 11:42. But this is definitely the fastest I’ve been since I moved to Columbus.

Last edited:
Today my DH joined me for a run. I had 1 hour 15 minutes planned. I wanted to go to the local trail but he thought he would have to bail out early so I reluctantly agreed to do it in the neighborhood. I set 45:30 intervals (instead of 60:30) since he hasn’t been running at all. After about 1.5 miles he split from me and went home. I finished the run, doing 5.4 miles total.

Tonight, he told me that this was the best he had ever seen me run and that I was too fast for him haha. So I decided to look at where I was a year ago. In September 2021, I did a 5.5 mile run that had an average page of 15:22. My fastest mile was in that run was at 14:38. Today, I ran 5.4 miles with an average pace of 13:56. My fastest mile was 13:20. I think the main big difference is my walk break is less— I used to do 45 or 60 second walk breaks. I don’t know how to see what I did on that run. I don’t know if this matters at all but my best pace in that run last year was 11:55 and today it was 9:45. Another big difference is I was able to sustain my intervals the entire time— last year, I would often take frequent extra walk breaks.

Hooray for progress!

Edit: For the record, this is not actually the fastest I have been since he knew me. I looked at my Athlinks, and I did a 4 mile race in 2015 that had an average pace of 11:42. But this is definitely the fastest I’ve been since I moved to Columbus.
That is really great! Whether it’s on a weekly, monthly or yearly basis, it’s so encouraging to see improvement. Let alone the kind of impressive improvement that you have seen. Congratulations! Your hard work definitely seems to be paying off.

Well, my dog woke me up and I am sitting here at 4:30 am wondering why I voluntarily decided to do this for four mornings (five if you include my flight) in January.

My oldest dog Jack is not doing well. He had a seizure on my birthday in July and then three in 24 hours last week. He is now on seizure medication and the side effects aren’t great.

My triathlon is in Chicago on Sunday and I’m driving there tomorrow. My DH is staying with Jack but I am feeling anxious and guilty about leaving him. I have worked hard on training for this race but don’t want something to happen while I’m gone especially bc I know Jack gets anxious when I travel. The semester also starts Monday and I am feeling woefully unprepared and generally bad about how little I’ve accomplished this summer.

Anyways that’s why I haven’t posted much here. Not doing great. I have been doing most of my training (at least two workouts per tri discipline most weeks) but haven’t had the energy to write about it much.

I'm really sorry about Jack. Hopefully the meds start working and I'm sure he is in good hands. That's hard to leave though I know.
Also I just want you to know I feel the same way every fall, maybe every semester. I think I a lot of people feel that way but once the schedule gets going you see you were prepared enough. But yeah end-of-summer regret is real.

I am sorry about Jack too. I know how hard it is when your furbaby is sick and then you are traveling. Ugh it is tough. Hoping the meds get a little easier and extend his quality for a while longer. Good for you on continuing your training. it is hard sometimes. i know i am struggling with motivation.

Congrats on finishing 👏

I saw you in the runfitmama stories. When you've recuperated from the race, I'm curious to know how you feel about their programs.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter