Unwanted room inspections?

The worst for me as at akl in 2020. Absolutely didn't take no for an answer, tried to make me open the bathroom door while my husband was actively taking a shower. Another time they came while I was in the bathroom. Bunch of calls from manager about how I was being difficult and noncompliant for not letting them in the bathroom while one of us was using it etc. I told them our park schedule so they could look at the room then and they on purpose came when we were in the room. I look like a highschooler so my assumption is that they honestly thought my husband was trafficking me? :/ Traumatic experience

Boardwalk 2022 had no issues, just had a dude come in and do the trash every morning, was very polite.

Last edited:
Also worth noting that we declined housekeeping for the nightmare 2020 trip, but I learned my lesson and accepted housekeeping in 2022.

The declining housekeeping is considered suspicious I guess and you'll most likely be more targeted by the checks than if you just accept the housekeeping.

It happens at every hotel. Has since the Vegas shootings.
It happens at every Disney hotel. I've never experienced this anywhere else. But at Disney--at least at WDW, where I visit--it does happen.

And, btw, it happened even when there was daily housekeeping. I know this from personal experience. This happens no matter who you are or how many times you've visited a Disney property.

The worst for me as at akl in 2020. Absolutely didn't take no for an answer, tried to make me open the bathroom door while my husband was actively taking a shower. Another time they came while I was in the bathroom. Bunch of calls from manager about how I was being difficult and noncompliant for not letting them in the bathroom while one of us was using it etc. I told them our park schedule so they could look at the room then and they on purpose came when we were in the room. I look like a highschooler so my assumption is that they honestly thought my husband was trafficking me? :/ Traumatic experience

Boardwalk the next year had no issues, just had a dude come in and do the trash every morning, was very polite.
What on earth???? That is horrible! I would be traumatized too and so mad!

I get it. It does suck I travel like that as well. I usually just throw it in the closet and call it good. If it was stolen out of there someone will have some explaining to do.
I've seen more descriptions these days on hotel websites about what size laptop or tablet can fit into their safes. I appreciate that when they do have that.

What on earth???? That is horrible! I would be traumatized too and so mad!
Yeah I cried a lot. I complained to the front desk and got a shrug, but probably should have sent an email somewhere about it...

Like it was every day harassment for our entire trip

Yeah I cried a lot. I complained to the front desk and got a shrug, but probably should have sent an email somewhere about it...

Like it was every day harassment for our entire trip
Never too late to send an email. I’m so sorry they put a huge damper on your trip.

It happens at every Disney hotel. I've never experienced this anywhere else.
I have never experienced it anywhere else and we have been traveling a lot. Makes me wonder about Disney and things they know that we don’t. It’s sad to think of the weird and/or illegal things they may have encountered on Disney properties. You expect this level of security somewhere like Vegas but Disney? That’s sad.

Literal actual quote from the custodial manager who harassed me every day so it's etched in my brain for eternity: "We just want to make sure nothing ICKY is going on!" Wink wink

Last time we were staying at VGF and someone knocked on the door when our "Room Occupied" sign was up, I politely but firmly told the CM that it was not a good time and we didn't want anyone to knock when our sign was up. He apologized, said he would make a note of it, and it didn't happen again for the rest of our trip. Possibly they are more relaxed about visitors who have been DVC members for many years and are regular visitors?

There's probably something to that. 2020 was our first trip in a decade, we have different last names, I look like I'm in high school, we declined housekeeping, AND we didn't check in at the front desk (it was 2020 and we wanted to limit our human contact as much as possible lol).

I guess it's like I put a huge red flag on my head lol, but you'd think they would have stopped after the first day...

Interesting. I guess they do size everyone up at check in. If that’s the case, we are two old farts who should not raise any flags for anyone. Maybe they will be cool and leave us be.

Last edited:
Florida is one of the top-10 highest states for human trafficking. Plus, worldwide, Disney Parks have been a huge target for high-profile terrorist attacks. These two points make the safety checks essential. Intentionally making it difficult for Disney employees to complete these checks raises lots of red flags and makes you look suspicious, which can result in employee interactions that will leave you feeling frustrated- especially if you refuse to simply comply when they made their first, second, and/or third attempts.

There's probably something to that. 2020 was our first trip in a decade, we have different last names, I look like I'm in high school, we declined housekeeping, AND we didn't check in at the front desk (it was 2020 and we wanted to limit our human contact as much as possible lol).

I guess it's like I put a huge red flag on my head lol, but you'd think they would have stopped after the first day...
Actually, I wouldn't think they'd have stopped after that.

All those factors would practically scream something awful might be going on and that you had been intimidated into insisting everything was fine.

After a time, Stockholm Syndrome can lead an abduction victim to collaborate willingly with the abductor. So, yeah, that your hubby was showering might've merely indicated how confident "your abductor" was that you wouldn't raise an alarm.

Read up about the Patty Hearst kidnapping. She even joined the domestic terrorist group that abducted her!

Boardwalk 2022 had no issues, just had a dude come in and do the trash every morning, was very polite.
Bathrooms are probably the most likely place to hide kidnapped children, weapons, and/or drugs. It's really easy for people to claim invasion of privacy and hide people/things in there. They see a lot of illegal activity that doesn't always make the news. I always make a point of telling them, "Thank you for trying to keep my family and children safe." Although others don't share the same sentiment, mothers of trafficked children wished hotel/motel employees were more vigilant.
*Not trying to invalidate your feelings at all and sorry you felt violated. I can see how you felt caught off-guard by their attempts.

Bathrooms are probably the most likely place to hide kidnapped children, weapons, and/or drugs. It's really easy for people to claim invasion of privacy and hide people/things in there. They see a lot of illegal activity that doesn't always make the news. I always make a point of telling them, "Thank you for trying to keep my family and children safe." Although others don't share the same sentiment, mothers of trafficked children wished hotel/motel employees were more vigilant.
*Not trying to invalidate your feelings at all and sorry you felt violated. I can see how you felt caught off-guard by their attempts.
Idk, it’s a fine line in my opinion. There are ways to do things civilly without disrupting people’s peaceful vacations. They did not need to use such force with her and partially ruin her trip.

I stopped staying at the Yacht club bc of this. I once had them come 2x in a day where we had been out at the parks for like 10 hours of the day w/ no do not disturb - just go there when I’m not there. With kids napping etc it was excessive.

I never had this experience at Aulani though.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter