Unwanted room inspections?

AustinTink

DIS Veteran
I was just reading a bunch of reviews on TripAdvisor about some weird welfare checks/ unwanted room inspections they do at Aulani. Is this really a thing or is it blown out of proportion? One reviewer said housekeeping entered their room even though they had the do not disturb sign up and scared their kid who was in the room watching tv. Another said there is signage saying they will enter the room daily for inspection even though they don’t clean every day.

What’s up with this? My husband and I like to put on the do not disturb when we arrival at a hotel and take it down when we leave. We don’t need daily housekeeping just towels and trash every couple of days. I especially don’t need housekeeping knocking and entering even though we say not to do so. Lots of reviews on TripAdvisor saying they knock and enter even if you are in the room.

I find this to be pretty creepy. Are the TripAdvisor reviewers exaggerating?

It happens at every hotel. Has since the Vegas shootings.
We travel a lot for my husband’s job. I go with him on many of the trips. It hasn’t happened to us yet but that makes sense with the Vegas shootings.

Oddly we’ve been to Vegas about 4 times in 8 months and we’ve never had a room inspection there.

We travel a lot for my husband’s job. I go with him on many of the trips. It hasn’t happened to us yet but that makes sense with the Vegas shootings.

Oddly we’ve been to Vegas about 4 times in 8 months and we’ve never had a room inspection there.
Vegas sorta stopped doing it after a while but the incident there was the catalyst for many hotels to take on security checks in certain timeframes. Some would say a DnD sign up for 24hours a check would be needed others are 48 hours other no specific timeframe. Disney is still the only company I know doing them much more consistently and they no longer have a DnD sign it's a Room Occupied sign and doesn't function the same, I'm assuming Aulani is using the same Room Occupied sign that the other Disney hotels are using.

Unless you're staying in your room the whole time it's likely happening when you're out. But they will come in the room if you're in it. They usually knock and announce themselves and they won't take no for an answer.
Disney yes, but other hotels especially in Vegas? No. We've been to Vegas multiple times since the shooting we were there hours after the shooting (2017, 2019, twice in 2021, 2022 staying at Hilton, Excalibur, Wynn, Bellagio, Encore). We go in and out of our room often, we've have our DnD indicator for days at Encore for instance (because we don't really need housekeeping much) and just have not really experienced a check. Granted it was Puerto Rico but we were just at a Hilton and stayed 4 nights with housekeeping 2nd day with a "Privacy Please" the rest of the time didn't have a check, possible they could have done a security check but unlikely. Many hotels just have stopped doing it even if T&C say they can.

They usually knock and announce themselves and they won't take no for an answer.
Um, won’t take no for an answer? I’ve never experienced this at any hotel. And if I’m walking around the room I paid for in the buff they better hope they don’t come barging in. Obviously, I will keep the door locked when we are in it but good grief I find this to be a total invasion of privacy.

They knocked on our door a few times when we had the sign up that said we were in the room, they collected garbage and once came when our teens were in the room watching tv and dropped off towels (day 4). We noticed they had entered our room each day when we were gone to collect garbage.

Did you have housekeeping? That counts as the room check. Honestly I don’t see the big deal. It’s like the TSA it’s reactive but it’s the world we live in.

Um, won’t take no for an answer? I’ve never experienced this at any hotel. And if I’m walking around the room I paid for in the buff they better hope they don’t come barging in. Obviously, I will keep the door locked when we are in it but good grief I find this to be a total invasion of privacy.
They really won't take no for an answer though. It's their policy to conduct these checks. Of course, if you tell them you're getting dressed and you need a minute, they won't come barging in. It's also not a bad idea to put the chain on when you're in the room, though, just in case you're in the bathroom and they don't hear you.

As daily housekeeping begins to return, I think these random wellness checks will start to go away.

Did you have housekeeping? That counts as the room check. Honestly I don’t see the big deal. It’s like the TSA it’s reactive but it’s the world we live in.
At Disney seems to be a separate person than housekeeping. DVC could be the person collecting the trash IF they pick it up when they are supposed to.

No way to stop inspections.
If you are changing clothes, flip the security latch. CM will knock or call to get into room.
Disney's insurance/legal company is covering the company if something does happen.

Disney is looking for many things:
Drugs, human trafficking, guns, money trafficking... They add to the list every month.

Yep, they check every day. They should have a note in each room when you arrive (someone should suggest that).

I wonder if they try to check when you have the sign on your door because you may be out and/or if you keep your sign up all the time as it may feel more suspect? We had a worker walk in on us at the Riviera. When I spoke to management they said that it is their policy to train the workers to knock and wait. But, I can’t help think that if it’s your job to open and check all rooms on a few floors, and most people at Disney are out during the day-your timing might be quicker than what we might expect.

Latch your door when in your room during the day. They will have to knock hard to let you know they are checking before coming in and put your valuables in the safe when you leave (just like any hotel with service).

It is private property. Disney makes the rule.
You have no right to privacy. You do have the right not to stay at any Disney resort.

Hide your kilo of coke and you will be fine…it is what it is. I got nothing to hide if they decide to come in when I am undressed then that’s their problem I am not going to let it ruin my vacation. But I am sure they aren’t kicking down doors and knock a few times.

No we never do housekeeping when we travel. I find it unnecessary. I just call housekeeping for towels and trash every 2-3 days. We’re 2 people and we are not messy.

Hide your kilo of coke and you will be fine…it is what it is. I got nothing to hide if they decide to come in when I am undressed then that’s their problem I am not going to let it ruin my vacation. But I am sure they aren’t kicking down doors and knock a few times.
The laptops are what I hate having to hide when we leave the room. My husband is in tech and travels with at least two laptops and various other expensive work gadgets on all our trips. I always have my work laptop as well. Yes even at Aulani. It’s a pain in the rear to have to put everything up every time we leave the dang room.

Last edited:
The laptops are what I hate having to hide when we leave the room. My husband is in tech and travels with at least two laptops and various others expensive work gadgets on all our trips. I always have my work laptop as well. Yes even at Aulani. It’s a pain in the rear to have to put everything up every time we leave the dang room.
I get it. It does suck I travel like that as well. I usually just throw it in the closet and call it good. If it was stolen out of there someone will have some explaining to do.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter