Unused Onboard Credit

So if DCL rules prohibit a TA from giving a " rebate on your cruise", does Costco have a special arrangement that allows them to give a cash card? -- Suzanne
TA are prohibited from discounting cruises or giving you rebates on your cruise (a rebate is getting a portion of your money back). Cruise lines do not prohibit Travel Agents from giving their customers gifts which is what an OBC or a Costco card is. Neither one of these fall into a discount or rebate so they are allowable gifts.

I just wanted to confirm that you can still use your OBC to buy a Disney GC in the gift shop? Assume it can be any amount on a loadable GC?

I just wanted to confirm that you can still use your OBC to buy a Disney GC in the gift shop? Assume it can be any amount on a loadable GC?
Yes, we have done this. They are not pre-set denominations such as $25, $50, etc. They are blank and you tell them how much you want to put on it. I know it's a rare thing but we've done a few short cruises where we just wanted to relax on the ship.

Yes, we have done this. They are not pre-set denominations such as $25, $50, etc. They are blank and you tell them how much you want to put on it. I know it's a rare thing but we've done a few short cruises where we just wanted to relax on the ship.
Great, thank you! Trying to decide if I want to pre-pay gratuities and in case we don't use the TA onboard credit wanted to ensure we don't lose it!

What happens to any of this credit that we don't manage to spend? I may have been over cautious which will make for a great cruise but I think I could end up with some money left.

Leftover money on a cruise? :rotfl2:Oh, that's a good one :flower1: Six DCL sailings and that has never happened to us even when we tried. There's always that something unexpected that pops up that seems to require lot's of money. Excursions, special things from the shops, photos, a light saber... Maybe next time.

Great, thank you! Trying to decide if I want to pre-pay gratuities and in case we don't use the TA onboard credit wanted to ensure we don't lose it!

This is humorous. Even with pre-paid gratuities, I would be more worried about spending more than the on-board credit than losing it.

Is there a benefit to prepaying than just leaving a credit card on your stateroom? Sorry first time cruiser so now I am curious.

Is there a benefit to prepaying than just leaving a credit card on your stateroom? Sorry first time cruiser so now I am curious.

Do you mean prepaying tips? I personally like to include them ahead of time so that when the cruise and air and pre-cruise stay are paid off (I do it all in advance), I'm only looking at incidentals like Palo, drinks, and souvenirs. I've even started putting the amount of booked excursions on a Disney Gift Card so that they are paid for in advance (I guess I could just call and buy OBC in the amount of the excursions as well). If I have OBC from an OBB, I'll start with that number and deduct excursions from that, then start adding on.

Just makes it easier and less sticker shock at the end of the cruise.

We attached a credit card to our account and I didn't have any OBC, because of it. I knew ahead of time how much to account for excursions and tips, so I knew that wasn't available on my open to buy on the card. Some people don't like their card to get that high, so pay it off sooner. I prefer to get whatever meagre pennies in interest that the bank gives me up until I need to spend the money.

Also, some people may not have a credit limit that's high enough to take the tips and excursion charges, in addition to everything else they might spend, so adding it to the OBC a month or two in advance (when you pay off your cruise) may make more sense.

Really, it's up to you to decide how you're most comfortable spending your money. Generally, you'll pay the same for tips and excursions no matter when you pay them, so then it becomes about how you are most comfortable managing the spending.

Back in the days before tips were automatically added to the onboard account we would have to fill out forms designating how much money we want to tip each CM and bring it to GS. It was a hassle. Back then I'd prepay tips. Now I don't because they will just add it to our tab.

Leftover money on a cruise? :rotfl2:Oh, that's a good one :flower1: Six DCL sailings and that has never happened to us even when we tried. There's always that something unexpected that pops up that seems to require lot's of money. Excursions, special things from the shops, photos, a light saber... Maybe next time.

Someday it could happen. We are booked on #19. Our kids are turning 17 and 21. Sometimes they don't cruise with us. When they do, they don't ask for toys anymore. We rarely buy photos. We watch the fireworks from our balcony but don't make a big fuss over pirate night. Palo is free once you're platinum. It kind of feels like 'been there, done that'. We continue to choose DCL for the happy onboard atmosphere and low # of smokers. (Not so into drinking,gambling & what some cruise lines call entertainment. )

We have done more than one 3-nt winter "escape" cruise when that's all we have time for but need a DCL fix where the only thing on our tab was tips.

Do you mean prepaying tips? I personally like to include them ahead of time so that when the cruise and air and pre-cruise stay are paid off (I do it all in advance), I'm only looking at incidentals like Palo, drinks, and souvenirs. I've even started putting the amount of booked excursions on a Disney Gift Card so that they are paid for in advance (I guess I could just call and buy OBC in the amount of the excursions as well). If I have OBC from an OBB, I'll start with that number and deduct excursions from that, then start adding on.

Just makes it easier and less sticker shock at the end of the cruise.

Yep, i did that too. We had Palo, a few excursions, BBB, and Royal Tea for my grand-daughter booked. I got the totals from that and pre-loaded my on-board account before boarding. We only had to pay more for drinks and shopping. With the other stuff paid for in advance, I didn't go into shock when I got the final bill.

This is humorous. Even with pre-paid gratuities, I would be more worried about spending more than the on-board credit than losing it.
First time DCL cruiser, so no idea what we'll spend onboard. :duck:

First time DCL cruiser, so no idea what we'll spend onboard. :duck:

Here's some information to give you a ball park idea:

1. If you do not prepay gratuities, $12 per person, per day, will be added to your stateroom account. 4 persons in the cabin would be $48 per day for gratuities.

2. Adult dining - Palo $30 per person, Remy (I think I heard that it is $95 per person). These prices do not include tipping.

3. Excursions - You can go to the Disney Cruise web site and under the Things To Do tab, you will see Port Adventures. You can look up the excursions that interest you and they list their current prices.
4 - Drinks - Alcohol is not included in the cruise fare. Expect around $8 per drink. There is an automatic gratuity added also.

5 - Specialty coffees - $5 - $6

6 - Room service - a lot of items are free, the stuff that is not free is clearly marked on the menu. You will want to bring a lot of $1 bills to tip the CM's that deliver the room service.

7 - Laundry - There are several laundry rooms on the ships. It costs about $2 for a washer and the same for a dryer load. There are also dispensers for soap, dryer sheets, etc. around the same price if I remember right. You scan your KTTW card and it goes on your on-board account.

8 - Photos - There are photographers on the ship. You will see them mostly in the main lobby before dinner, but they are also there at other times of the day. They also come into the MDR's and you may see them up on the pool deck, and on Castaway Cay. You can purchase photos individually or purchase a package. Here is their web site info if you are interested
https://www.mycruisephotos.com/DCL/...hy&utm_medium=Disney&utm_campaign=Photography
If you purchase on-board, it will be added to your on-board account

9 - Shopping - There is plenty of opportunity to shop on-board and while on excursions. The sky is the limit here, but there are limits to how much you can buy and bring back duty free. This is something you may wish to research beforehand. If you want to limit how much you will spend on-board, you can purchase Disney gift cards before you board and only use them in the shops.

10 - Tipping and other unexpected expenses - While getting to and from the cruise, you will come into contact with many people who will touch your luggage. Any person who handles them will be expecting a tip of somewhere between $2 - $5 per bag. You may stay at hotels where there are bell caps. The same applies to them. (BTW, we stayed at the MCO Hyatt in the airport the night before sailing and the night after. The night after the cruise, we called the front desk to get a bell cap to take our luggage to the airline terminal check-in. We got the same person that handled our luggage on the night before the cruise. He must have remembered us and the tip I gave him. He took our luggage to check-in, got our boarding passes, and checked in our luggage without us having to stand in the line).

We tipped bus drivers on excursions, the bus driver on the Disney Cruise Line transfer bus, the room service CM's, waiters at the bar stations, etc.. In all I had set aside around $300 for tips and used most of it. Don't let this scare you off, most of it was used on the travel and hotel stays before and after the trip, but I think I used about $100 on the ship.

11 - On-board booking - You may find that you enjoy the cruise so much that you want to go again. You can book another cruise on-board and get 10% off the fare, with a 10% deposit. You will also get $200 on-board credit. Or if you are unsure, $250 will get you a placeholder that you may apply to any cruise within the next two years. This is also added to your on-board account.

This may give you an idea of how much you may spend on-board so you can plan accordingly.

Here's some information to give you a ball park idea:

1. If you do not prepay gratuities, $12 per person, per day, will be added to your stateroom account. 4 persons in the cabin would be $48 per day for gratuities.

2. Adult dining - Palo $30 per person, Remy (I think I heard that it is $95 per person). These prices do not include tipping.

3. Excursions - You can go to the Disney Cruise web site and under the Things To Do tab, you will see Port Adventures. You can look up the excursions that interest you and they list their current prices.

4 - Drinks - Alcohol is not included in the cruise fare. Expect around $8 per drink. There is an automatic gratuity added also.

5 - Specialty coffees - $5 - $6

6 - Room service - a lot of items are free, the stuff that is not free is clearly marked on the menu. You will want to bring a lot of $1 bills to tip the CM's that deliver the room service.

7 - Laundry - There are several laundry rooms on the ships. It costs about $2 for a washer and the same for a dryer load. There are also dispensers for soap, dryer sheets, etc. around the same price if I remember right. You scan your KTTW card and it goes on your on-board account.

8 - Photos - There are photographers on the ship. You will see them mostly in the main lobby before dinner, but they are also there at other times of the day. They also come into the MDR's and you may see them up on the pool deck, and on Castaway Cay. You can purchase photos individually or purchase a package. Here is their web site info if you are interested
https://www.mycruisephotos.com/DCL/...hy&utm_medium=Disney&utm_campaign=Photography
If you purchase on-board, it will be added to your on-board account

9 - Shopping - There is plenty of opportunity to shop on-board and while on excursions. The sky is the limit here, but there are limits to how much you can buy and bring back duty free. This is something you may wish to research beforehand. If you want to limit how much you will spend on-board, you can purchase Disney gift cards before you board and only use them in the shops.

10 - Tipping and other unexpected expenses - While getting to and from the cruise, you will come into contact with many people who will touch your luggage. Any person who handles them will be expecting a tip of somewhere between $2 - $5 per bag. You may stay at hotels where there are bell caps. The same applies to them. (BTW, we stayed at the MCO Hyatt in the airport the night before sailing and the night after. The night after the cruise, we called the front desk to get a bell cap to take our luggage to the airline terminal check-in. We got the same person that handled our luggage on the night before the cruise. He must have remembered us and the tip I gave him. He took our luggage to check-in, got our boarding passes, and checked in our luggage without us having to stand in the line).

We tipped bus drivers on excursions, the bus driver on the Disney Cruise Line transfer bus, the room service CM's, waiters at the bar stations, etc.. In all I had set aside around $300 for tips and used most of it. Don't let this scare you off, most of it was used on the travel and hotel stays before and after the trip, but I think I used about $100 on the ship.

11 - On-board booking - You may find that you enjoy the cruise so much that you want to go again. You can book another cruise on-board and get 10% off the fare, with a 10% deposit. You will also get $200 on-board credit. Or if you are unsure, $250 will get you a placeholder that you may apply to any cruise within the next two years. This is also added to your on-board account.

This may give you an idea of how much you may spend on-board so you can plan accordingly.
This is excellent, thank you! Do you know if there a good thread or site on best excursions for the ports we are going to? We are driving, so also deciding on where to park at the port.

My advice would be to watch these threads for the answers of your excursion and parking questions. You could also create your own thread and ask. You could try googling something "best Cozumel cruise excursions" or whatever fits the ports you are going to.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter