Unused Onboard Credit

Stitchie13

Mouseketeer
I have been budgetting for this cruise and to make life easier I placed some onboard credit $ funds onto our room portfolio before we sail.

What happens to any of this credit that we don't manage to spend? I may have been over cautious which will make for a great cruise but I think I could end up with some money left.

Also how do we make sure that we use our Disney Onboard Booking credit first before hitting our funds?

Thanks

I have been budgetting for this cruise and to make life easier I placed some onboard credit $ funds onto our room portfolio before we sail.

What happens to any of this credit that we don't manage to spend? I may have been over cautious which will make for a great cruise but I think I could end up with some money left.

Also how do we make sure that we use our Disney Onboard Booking credit first before hitting our funds?

Thanks
Any OBC on your onboard account will be used in this order: 1) OBC that's non-refundable (from TAs, OBB), then 2) OBC that is refundable (personally added credits).

I have never had any funds left over:duck: When you get to your stateroom you will have little notes telling you have stateroom credit and in what dollar amounts. You can call DCL ahead of time and they can tell you what you have so far.

Any refundable OBC (i.e. something you've put on your room in advance) should be returned to the method of payment. So if you're using Disney Gift Cards or Disney Reward Dollars, be sure to keep those cards in case any funds get returned to them.

According to the CM at the GS desk on our cruise, the funds are spent the order they are placed onto the account. our unused funds were credited back to the visa rewards without a problem.

According to the CM at the GS desk on our cruise, the funds are spent the order they are placed onto the account. our unused funds were credited back to the visa rewards without a problem.

I do not think that is correct,

DCL OBC is used first.
TA OBC used.
They will use up non refundable credits first.
They will refund your own personal account with any left credit.
If 'you' credited in different ways yes the last payment route will be refunded first.

I do not think that is correct,

DCL OBC is used first.
TA OBC used.
They will use up non refundable credits first.
They will refund your own personal account with any left credit.

It didn't sound correct to me and I was worried because for some reason our GC were added to our account before the OBC (I added the GC at GS once onboard). I expressed my concern and she said they would try to have it deducted in the order you mentioned. In the end it worked out ok.(but I don't know if it is because we spent all those funds, or if they changed it, or she was wrong :))

It didn't sound correct to me and I was worried because for some reason our GC were added to our account before the OBC (I added the GC at GS once onboard). I expressed my concern and she said they would try to have it deducted in the order you mentioned. In the end it worked out ok.(but I don't know if it is because we spent all those funds, or if they changed it, or she was wrong :))

They will use up non refundable OBC first, then your credits in reverse order, last paid is first refunded, if its gift cards its those. However on a Disney cruise irs rare to have any chance of any refund.

I won a raffle drawing at a DVC talk and didn't really have anything I wanted to buy on board. I also went to one of the gift shops and was able to buy a Disney gift card that we were able to apply to our Disney annual passes at a later date when we renewed.

I carry on board a bunch of Disney gift cards and keep close tabs on my balance adding the GC's as needed. This way there's little worry about refunds

Are all travel agent obc non-refundable? Trying to determine if we should book a DCL excursion to use up the large credits we received.

Are all travel agent obc non-refundable? Trying to determine if we should book a DCL excursion to use up the large credits we received.
I'm glad you asked because I was going to respond based on some of the information given above.
DCL does not flag the travel agent OBC as non-refundable. They are refundable -- just to the travel agent, not to you. So it would not automatically be used after any DCL non-refundable credits are used and if you don't use the credit your travel agent gave you, it will go back to the agency. And per DCL rules, the ta cannot give you a rebate on your cruise (which is what it would become if the agency then gave you cash or credit for the unused OBC). In DCL's eyes, the travel agency credit is the same as if a friend or family member gave you spending money for your cruise by calling and giving you an OBC. It isn't Disney's money so they can't keep it if it is unused. So it would return to the original form of payment -- in this case the agency's cc.

I'm glad you asked because I was going to respond based on some of the information given above.
DCL does not flag the travel agent OBC as non-refundable. They are refundable -- just to the travel agent, not to you. So it would not automatically be used after any DCL non-refundable credits are used and if you don't use the credit your travel agent gave you, it will go back to the agency. And per DCL rules, the ta cannot give you a rebate on your cruise (which is what it would become if the agency then gave you cash or credit for the unused OBC). In DCL's eyes, the travel agency credit is the same as if a friend or family member gave you spending money for your cruise by calling and giving you an OBC. It isn't Disney's money so they can't keep it if it is unused. So it would return to the original form of payment -- in this case the agency's cc.
So if DCL rules prohibit a TA from giving a " rebate on your cruise", does Costco have a special arrangement that allows them to give a cash card? -- Suzanne

So if DCL rules prohibit a TA from giving a " rebate on your cruise", does Costco have a special arrangement that allows them to give a cash card? -- Suzanne
Costco giving the Cash card is the same thing as other TA's giving OBC. You just get the cash card after the cruise. The price of the cruise is the same through DCL or TA.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter