Universal Projects ... Again???

Peter Pirate 2

<font color=red>I may be a Disney curmudgeon but I
Rumors reported here on the DIS outline four huge new Universal projects in the works!

Will Disney stand by the lame FLE, Carsland path? Or will they grow a pair and produce a great Pandora?

They will do as little as they think they can get away with.

Sad, but their actions back that up.

Personally I'm not sure if I find it sad, or funny.

Around here Disney can do no evil and does everything for the betterment of their guests.

Around here Universal is a cheap knock off who can't do anything as good as Disney.

BUT.......

Disney keeps showing that they are going to do as little as possible to reinvest into their parks. Keeps taking away or degrading services and things they used to offer (including anything for adults to do after the parks close). And overhypes a "major Expansion" that by it's design was obviously designed primarily to increase park capacity and add another TS meal option to the park (To help make all those people paying for the DDP happy). And the one new ride? a Clone of something open for the past year in California. [and then, according to rumors, gets surprised when said expansion isn't some major guest draw or huge direct money maker?]

Universal over the past several years has continuously been investing in their parks, to the point that there hasn't really been a period in the last 4+ years when there hasn't been SOME sort of construction going on at the property... and based off current construction and rumors, the trend isn't going to stop anytime soon. With the major expansion already opened, The primary new attraction is an amazing ride that utilizes some groundbreaking new technologies. Since Comcast's takeover they've even gone so far as suddenly deciding to demolish an old attraction building that's been sitting vacant for years in the middle of the park, and rush to get SOMETHING in that spot to the point we are getting a headline worthy attraction in only about a year from the walls going up for Demo to grand opening.

At least for me, it appears that Universal is the one who is showing actual interest in improving and putting the money and effort into their parks, While Disney has gone from the innovator in Florida to someone happy to do as little as possible and rely on past glories to bring the people in.

I agree with the posts before mine. Disney is not putting enough back into their parks. Universal is. My biggest love is new ride technologies. I loved Star Tours when it first came out. I was there the first day Indiana Jones opened. Now I'm watching Universal for rides like HP and Transformers... so sad.

Peter Pirate 2 said:
Rumors reported here on the DIS outline four huge new Universal projects in the works!

Will Disney stand by the lame FLE, Carsland path? Or will they grow a pair and produce a great Pandora?

Oh Pete,

You aren't seriously going all "town crier" on me and saying that the management in Burbank must respond the UOR juggernaut...are you?

I was seriously was starting to lean a little more that way until I looked at the gate numbers comparison yesterday...
77.4% to 22.6% advantage.

I actually thought it was closer than that.

They better build a Star Wars fifth gate or it may go all the way down to 74-26% !!!!! :lmao:

Come on, my man...

DCTooTall said:
Personally I'm not sure if I find it sad, or funny.

Around here Disney can do no evil and does everything for the betterment of their guests.

Around here Universal is a cheap knock off who can't do anything as good as Disney.

BUT.......

Disney keeps showing that they are going to do as little as possible to reinvest into their parks. Keeps taking away or degrading services and things they used to offer (including anything for adults to do after the parks close). And overhypes a "major Expansion" that by it's design was obviously designed primarily to increase park capacity and add another TS meal option to the park (To help make all those people paying for the DDP happy). And the one new ride? a Clone of something open for the past year in California. [and then, according to rumors, gets surprised when said expansion isn't some major guest draw or huge direct money maker?]

Universal over the past several years has continuously been investing in their parks, to the point that there hasn't really been a period in the last 4+ years when there hasn't been SOME sort of construction going on at the property... and based off current construction and rumors, the trend isn't going to stop anytime soon. With the major expansion already opened, The primary new attraction is an amazing ride that utilizes some groundbreaking new technologies. Since Comcast's takeover they've even gone so far as suddenly deciding to demolish an old attraction building that's been sitting vacant for years in the middle of the park, and rush to get SOMETHING in that spot to the point we are getting a headline worthy attraction in only about a year from the walls going up for Demo to grand opening.

At least for me, it appears that Universal is the one who is showing actual interest in improving and putting the money and effort into their parks, While Disney has gone from the innovator in Florida to someone happy to do as little as possible and rely on past glories to bring the people in.

I hear everything you say and I agree...all things being equal. But things aren't equal.

I know universal has made gains revenue wise...but I don't think they have cut into Disney's advantage profit wise. And they still aren't close to drawing gate numbers away with real significance.

The economics allow Disney to Stand pat.
Blame Michael Eisner...the "Disney decade" worked far better than even he could've imagined...
Especially DVC - a master stroke that buffers/marginalized the threat from universal or any competitors.
It all has worked out almost perfectly as viewed from my chair.

Come on now my friend... It's like comparing apples to sea urchins, isn't it?

Disney's twenty three gates compared to the two at Universal can't be itemized seriously, can it?

Disney plods, universal innovates. Won't time be the ultimate decider? Isn't the lean already being noticed???
:cool1::banana::lmao:

By the way, we here in the super hot sunshine state are being inundated with special disney offers of the likes I haven't seen in many years. Does that change your tune a little. :dance3:

Peter Pirate 2 said:
Come on now my friend... It's like comparing apples to sea urchins, isn't it?

Disney's twenty three gates compared to the two at Universal can't be itemized seriously, can it?

Disney plods, universal innovates. Won't time be the ultimate decider? Isn't the lean already being noticed???
:cool1::banana::lmao:

By the way, we here in the super hot subsume state are being inundated with special disney offers of the likes I haven't seen in many years. Does that change your tune a little. :dance3:

Oh I believe you about the FR deals rolling out... (I do still own/rent a house there and get access to those)...they're bookings seem to be down significantly...no matter what they may say...you can just feel it in your bones.

Perhaps the reality is that in this latest round of financial hijinx, the money that the average Traveler lost - you know...the normal people who supply the bulk of their core clientele ...are never gonna get the money back to spend at wdw again...and that's why they haven't gotten their assumed "bump" back yet?
Hmmm...perhaps 1+1 does...infact...equal 2?

But your "apples to oranges" argument makes my point!
Disney has tons of land, 50000 hotel rooms they own and operate, 2 more main parks and 2 secondary parks and a sports complex and a racetrack and a dude ranch...
Universal doesn't have any of that..but Disney must be feeling the heat, right?

Contrary to what after school specials will tell you...SIZE DOES MATTER!

That just supports the argument...the "watermelon" doesn't have to really counter the "grapefruit"

We're along way from that.

~All of the above!!! Thanks to James Cameron teaming up with the Imagineers, who are more than capable, Pandora will be fabulous!!! DHS will get the "quick & cheap" economical version of Carsland, but I was hoping for Pixarland & Star Wars land. Oh well, something is better than nothing. :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter