Universal Lanyards

k1koala

Mouseketeer
There are SOOOOOO many different styles and types of lanyards out there, not to mention pouches.
Since the lanyards/pouches on the website are horizontal, Im assuming the park tickets/express passes are horizontal? And can they all be scanned through the pouches even though they have the US logo on them?
I was looking on Amazon at the different ones available, but it seems like it might be around same cost and easier to just get the whole thing on US. Its water-proof im assuming as well??

Thanks so much for my crazy questions!!

Check ebay too. I only use mine at our local amusement park and took the card holder off. I put my car key on it and punched a hole in my AP. I don't go on water rides so can't speak to waterproofing. They will always replace your pass if it gets worn out but it's a pain because you have to go to guest services. You could also get some of those RFID covers if you're worried about water. Those are good to have in your wallet anyway.

We always have fun choosing a new lanyard on every visit. They have a wide array of choices at the Universal Stores at Resorts, CityWalk and in the parks.

Yes the ticket can be scanned through your lanyard. We always put our ticket facing one side and the Express pass on the other side. We get the plastic sealing zipper lanyard. It protects your ticket and Express pass.

I bring lanyards from other venues. Last time, it was free lanyards from Nationwide Insurance from a Nascar race in 2010...this time it will likely be the ones we bought on our Royal Caribbean cruise. Lanyards from these venues will work fine...so will lanyards from a dollar store.

It doesn't matter if it sits vertical or horizontal, you can turn it the way needed :) Everything can be scanned through the plastic, so no need to pull out cards constantly (only thing I ever pull out is my hotel room key card,)

Like Robo said, be sure to get one with a Ziploc baggies style zipper on it...the water rides get you soaked, and the paper passes do not hold up well when wet.

I bought these lanyards for our family of 5 so everyone's looked different, and these pouches with the ziploc-type closure, both from Amazon, for our recent Universal trip. They scanned our tickets and Express Pass through the plastic, and they were soft and easy enough to tuck inside of shirts for the roller coasters. They all performed well and will be used again. Our son used his on the next leg of our trip for his cruise card, and my daughter used hers on a school trip to Disneyland a couple weeks ago to hold her park ticket and FastPasses.

I was not a big lanyard fan before our trip, but I think I may be a convert now. At least at Disneyland and Universal where you have multiple pieces of paper/plastic (park ticket, Express Pass, hotel keycard, FastPass) to keep track of.

PHXscuba

I was not a big lanyard fan before our trip, but I think I may be a convert now. At least at Disneyland and Universal where you have multiple pieces of paper/plastic (park ticket, Express Pass, hotel keycard, FastPass) to keep track of.
PHXscuba

I agree. The lanyards are pretty convenient. I like that I can carry pretty much everything I need in mine, room key, AP, EP's, license, GC and some cash. Last trip I didn't even take my wallet to the park, just a lanyard and cellphone. For our upcoming trip we got the Witz cases off Amazon so it would be a little easier to get stuff in and out like the gift card and room key. The zip lock ones they sell in the park were a little tight with all those cards.

We've had problems with the soft plastic pouches that themeparks sell. One got ripped off the lanyard because it was wedged too tightly under restraints on California Screamin'. That lost dh and ds their APs (ride personnel said they couldn't find it overnight when they look for lost items), and at Disneyland you pay a fee for new APs.

I've had the zippers die, which makes them UNwaterproof and un-secure.

I use the clear Witz brand "see it safe" case (with my soft school tie themed Ravenclaw lanyard). Carries all the cards I need plus a little cash. Secure, waterproof, and has two sides clear enough to scan through. It's also heavier than the soft pouches so I don't have to constantly feel to make sure the pouch is still there.

The card pouches supplied with the Universal lanyards are not very good - too small and flimsy. I ordered larger pouches (4-1/2" wide, 3-1/2" tall including the top where the lanyard hooks on), from Amazon. These had "ziplock" seals - not slider seals, and they worked very well to keep all moisture out, even on the water rides. I kept park ticket, FOTL pass, room key, and maybe $40 cash in it - worked like a charm. I'd never again go without a lanyard.

Note (and I mention this ONLY for the dimensionally challenged): your iPhone will NOT fit into this pouch.

How big are the tickets/room keys/EPs? I bought a badge which I will need for work anyway, but I worry it's too small to fit everything I need in it, plus my cards and cash.

Should I also buy a fanny pack? How do you story your cellphone? I'm looking to carry as little as possible. I don't think my friend will be able to wear stuff around his neck so I might have to carry his tickets as well.

The room keys are just like credit cards. The EPs and park passes are the same size, but more like coated cardstock. I carry a bag into the parks, DH wears cargo shorts, but then he has to pull everything out of his pockets to go on the big rides.

IMO it's easier to chuck a bag into the locker than messing about with pockets full of things. (We also get a Freestyle mug, carry ponchos, sunscreen, etc)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!