Universal for a 4 year old?

franbot

Mouseketeer
We are traveling to the Orlando area this summer with my Sister and her family. My brother in law is planning on taking his 9 year old who loves Harry Potter to Universal. Should I join him with my 4 year old or would that be a bad idea? What is there for her to do?

How tall is she? Is she tall enough to join in most of the rides the 9 year old will want to do?

We waited to take our kids to Universal until they were tall enough for most of the rides. Looking back I think we could have had a good time going earlier, but I don't regret waiting.
Now, with all the kids play areas closed due to Covid it may be tougher with a little one. If they open those back up you would have no problem keeping her entertained and having a fun day. You may just not end up spending a lot of it with the older kid.

Plenty to do with a 4 year old at Universal. You could spend a lot of time in Suess Landing at IOA. They would also love getting a wand and casting spells at both IOA and USF. Mine loves the 'Hippo ride' at IOA. Can't tell ya how many times we rode that.

I wouldn’t unless they are able to reopen the kids play areas and splash pads etc.

There just isn’t enough for a 4 year old to do. Don’t get me wrong I think there is plenty to keep a 4 year old “busy” if they are part of a family group and everyone needs to be together at Universal. But to make a special trip just to take them, no, there are more little kid friendly parks (Legoland) or even just a pool day and down time at a resort that would be a better use of time and money.

We recently went. I think you could find enough, but height is a consideration. My 5yo is over 42 inches and could ride lots of things. Under 42 inches leaves out several rides. Playground areas are closed. But there are still some rides and shows. Flight of the hippogriff is a fun roller coaster, and pteranadon flyers is unique and you need a young kid with you to go on it. I'd look at the list of rides on the website and make sure there are several options.

We recently went. I think you could find enough, but height is a consideration. My 5yo is over 42 inches and could ride lots of things. Under 42 inches leaves out several rides. Playground areas are closed. But there are still some rides and shows. Flight of the hippogriff is a fun roller coaster, and pteranadon flyers is unique and you need a young kid with you to go on it. I'd look at the list of rides on the website and make sure there are several options.
She is pretty tall for a 4 year old. It think 44 inches currently. I think it’s more if certain rides would be appropriate for her. She is definitely going to want to go to be with her cousin.

It's a personal decision but for me, I wouldn't even consider taking any child under 48". There are still playground and splash areas that are closed due to COVID. If my child couldn't ride the majority of the rides or was too afraid to ride, it would not be worth the cost IMO.

Would it be better to go when she was taller and play areas are open? Yes. But, can you still have a fun day now with your family? Sure!

I took my daughter to UOR for her 4th birthday some years ago. All I can say is that she loved it. She was a tall-ish 4 year old, but she loved Flight of the Hippogriff, the Hogwarts Express, all the Seuss stuff, Shrek, Minions, Men in Black, ET, Woody Woodpecker, and Jurassic Park Flyers. She wasn't tall enough for Forbidden Journey, so we did rider swap and she was given a certificate to return and go to the front of the line when she was (I'm not sure that they still do this). She also really loved the big donut in Springfield. The dragon was a bit scary. I don't regret taking her.

She is pretty tall for a 4 year old. It think 44 inches currently. I think it’s more if certain rides would be appropriate for her. She is definitely going to want to go to be with her cousin.

My kid is kind of anxious, but we took him on Gringotts, Kong, basically everything he was tall enough for (it's what happens when you are the youngest kid in the family) . We reminded him to close his eyes if he was scared, but he wasn't and regularly asked to re-ride things. He was happy to be included, sounds like it might be the same for your daughter.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter