Universal during Christmastime - tips and must dos?

So I have a question for you guys, since you've been to Universal during the holidays.

I booked Cowfish for 6:30 pm. Do both parks reach capacity at that point where if we were to leave them to have dinner, we would be unable to return to them afterwards?
I don't recall-sorry! We eat beforehand then hit parks after 4 as we had AP's that had the express. We did do the dessert party the first year and it was a great value for the price (precovid). The last couple years have been Thanksgiving week-and will be again this year unless can talk hubs into a December trip too (doubtful lol). Pre covid it was VERY busy that week so it is possible they may hit capacity.

We are considering upgrading our Power Pass to Preferred, and going a couple of days between Christmas and New Year's. Does anyone have any idea if/when passholder hotel rates will be released?

For this year? Come and gone already.
I knew I was late to the party! In general, how far in advance do AP rates get released? I booked AP rate for HHN, for Labor Day weekend, at the end of May. They had just been released, as far as I could tell.

I love this thread! Former Disney AP; now a new Universal AP; this will be our first trip! I don't know if it was a fluke or a mini-miracle - but I just was browsing around on Saturday, and found an AP Universal rate for Cabana Bay! We will be there December 21-24th for our first trip in about ten years.

I love all the advice - we have another trip planned already for five days late February, staying at Royal Pacific, so that trip will be more about rides I think; and this one about Christmas-y stuff and just getting our bearings and maybe enjoying the Cabana Bay pool.

I was super excited for the passholder hotel rate. Basically we have three nights at Cabana Bay for about 60% of what ONE night cost last year at Yacht Club for the same dates. I get it's not an apples to apples comparison, but still!

I love this thread! Former Disney AP; now a new Universal AP; this will be our first trip! I don't know if it was a fluke or a mini-miracle - but I just was browsing around on Saturday, and found an AP Universal rate for Cabana Bay! We will be there December 21-24th for our first trip in about ten years.

I love all the advice - we have another trip planned already for five days late February, staying at Royal Pacific, so that trip will be more about rides I think; and this one about Christmas-y stuff and just getting our bearings and maybe enjoying the Cabana Bay pool.

I was super excited for the passholder hotel rate. Basically we have three nights at Cabana Bay for about 60% of what ONE night cost last year at Yacht Club for the same dates. I get it's not an apples to apples comparison, but still!
Enjoy your trip! I'm sure you will enjoy everything the parks have to offer during the Christmas season 🎄

was super excited for the passholder hotel rate. Basically we have three nights at Cabana Bay for about 60% of what ONE night cost last year at Yacht Club for the same dates. I get it's not an apples to apples comparison, but still!
Lol I get you. The room sizes are comparable, not the service or amenities. They do have suites that are approx 40% larger than the standard rooms.

as long as you set your expectations accordingly that you will be in a value property, should be just fine. Especially if you plan on spending most of your time in the parks.

What pains me here, is normally I’d come back and say the same thing (60% less) applies to the values at WDW. Ha, that ship has sailed. Not uncommon to see rates come in well over $200 to nearly $300 with tax per night for random dates I’ve needed this year & that’s with an AP discount.:bitelip:

Lol I get you. The room sizes are comparable, not the service or amenities. They do have suites that are approx 40% larger than the standard rooms.

as long as you set your expectations accordingly that you will be in a value property, should be just fine. Especially if you plan on spending most of your time in the parks.

What pains me here, is normally I’d come back and say the same thing (60% less) applies to the values at WDW. Ha, that ship has sailed. Not uncommon to see rates come in well over $200 to nearly $300 with tax per night for random dates I’ve needed this year & that’s with an AP discount.:bitelip:
Cabana Bay is interesting to me. Like the hotel amenities are rock solid (the pool, food court, transportation, easy access to volcano bay, bowling alley), and compare very well to even the Deluxe hotels, but the room itself is not so great. But you probably arent spending much time in the room itself.

Does anyone know when they offer the Christmas Tour packages? Kids really want to do milk and cookies with the Grinch.

I’ll be there from Dec 11 to 16 and I’m really looking forward to all the Christmas festivities! If the VIP Christmas tour is offered, I’ll be getting tickets. I really love the thought of being in a nearly empty Hogsmead!

Cabana Bay is interesting to me. Like the hotel amenities are rock solid (the pool, food court, transportation, easy access to volcano bay, bowling alley), and compare very well to even the Deluxe hotels, but the room itself is not so great. But you probably arent spending much time in the room itself.

Does anyone know when they offer the Christmas Tour packages? Kids really want to do milk and cookies with the Grinch.
I agree with Cabana Bay. It might not have as luxurious of a look as ones like Hark Rock and Royal Pacific, but it does a great job of fitting it's retro 50's theme. The amenities there are great as you listed. We love the pools especially because of the lazy river. The rooms are pretty basic but we haven't had any issues with them the times that we have stayed there. We lucked out with great Volcano Bay views each time as well which makes for an excellent backdrop out your window. For technically being a (prime) value resort, it is fantastic. When you compare it to Disney's value resorts with the all-stars it definitely feels closer to a moderate level resort for them.

We live up North, so ANYTHING with a nice pool complex and palm trees is wonderful! We did get a poolside room; but the suites weren't much more. Disney resort prices are so crazy. I can still see Passholder rates (even though we let ours expire); and I think the All Star Standard rooms were way more than Cabana Bay even with the AP Discount. Not sure who's setting Disney Resort prices, but they make no sense to me anymore, especially without the former perks.

I agree with Cabana Bay. It might not have as luxurious of a look as ones like Hark Rock and Royal Pacific, but it does a great job of fitting it's retro 50's theme. The amenities there are great as you listed. We love the pools especially because of the lazy river. The rooms are pretty basic but we haven't had any issues with them the times that we have stayed there. We lucked out with great Volcano Bay views each time as well which makes for an excellent backdrop out your window. For technically being a (prime) value resort, it is fantastic. When you compare it to Disney's value resorts with the all-stars it definitely feels closer to a moderate level resort for them.
We are new to Universal Resorts, and I agree the perks seem comparable to a Disney Moderate (hot tub!); and with park proximity, far superior to the All Stars. We did exclusively All Stars when my kids were little and "moved up" to Pop Century - which is my kids' favorites - even more than the moderates and deluxes we've stayed at. Being able to walk to parks (Skyliner for Disney) is a big deal for me, so I'm excited to try some of the Universal resorts!

Cabana Bay has two huge pools. They are both nice. A beach area, lazy river. The Lazy river makes it difficult for me to move my relative over to another hotel. She complains "But there is no
Lazy River."

The pools at Pop Century look small after I visited Cabana Bay

I am so excited to see Universal for the holidays again! We spent something like 10 days in Universal last year and only 3 in Disney so doing 7 nights Disney 2 nights Universal. I am going to squeeze as much as I can in those two days. (Will do a week at Universal next Oct.)

I was just able to book the Grinch breakfast on my son‘s 8th bday. I am cancelling Chef Mickey for it! Never thought the Disney lover in me would write those words!

Dh and I are also doing the Orlando informer event. I just loved all the decor outside of the studios, Suess landing, Harry Potter and the giant tree near the Tribute store. Hoping to catch the parade and see the Grinch show since we missed it last year.

We are also doing Disney’s Xmas party and a day at Seaworld. Was hoping to pop over to Gaylord Palms for icee or Celebration but not sure if we’ll make that. Starting to run out of space.

Cabana Bay definitely blows the Disney Value resorts out of the water and matches the moderate resorts except Coronado Springs.

I’ll be there from Dec 11 to 16 and I’m really looking forward to all the Christmas festivities! If the VIP Christmas tour is offered, I’ll be getting tickets. I really love the thought of being in a nearly empty Hogsmead!
It looks like it is available on the 11th through 14 right now.

Grinch Breakfast is already sold out for the days we wanted to go :(

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter