United Airlines tries to ban two young girls from flight because of leggings

It was always my understanding that the people using employee passes had a strict dress code because they might end up being seated in First Class, depending on how full the flight is.

I think the point of the complaint is not that there was a dress code but the fact that the dress code allowed men to wear shorts but woman could not wear leggings.

Shorts can never be considered 'dressed up'. However I just did a Google search of leggings and it looks like they can be just as fashionable as dress jeans.

Even with the dress code it is ridiculous to expect a child - I'm talking about the 10 yr old here, too wear anything but leggings on a flight. The toilets are so small and the easier it is for children to manage their clothing the better imo.

I think the point of the complaint is not that there was a dress code but the fact that the dress code allowed men to wear shorts but woman could not wear leggings.

Shorts can never be considered 'dressed up'. However I just did a Google search of leggings and it looks like they can be just as fashionable as dress jeans.
The complaint was made a woman at another gate who saw something happening and went over to listen in. We don't know if the man in shorts was flying on a pass or not. But according to the dress code for nonrev passengers, shorts that are no more than 3 inches above the knee are allowed. Form fitting lycra/spandex pants are not.

Even with the dress code it is ridiculous to expect a child - I'm talking about the 10 yr old here, too wear anything but leggings on a flight. The toilets are so small and the easier it is for children to manage their clothing the better imo.
Maybe the passengers should consider buying a ticket for their child if they have issues using the restroom in slacks or jeans on a 2 hour or less flight.

Plenty of kids fly in pants other than leggings. Not a difficult thing to work around. If the rules say no leggings, then no leggings. There are plenty of other choices.

The complaint was made a woman at another gate who saw something happening and went over to listen in. We don't know if the man in shorts was flying on a pass or not. But according to the dress code for nonrev passengers, shorts that are no more than 3 inches above the knee are allowed. Form fitting lycra/spandex pants are not.

Maybe the passengers should consider buying a ticket for their child if they have issues using the restroom in slacks or jeans on a 2 hour or less flight.

They probably should consider it in future.

I still think the carry on surrounding children in leggings is ridiculous.

Even our elementary school banned 'leggings as pants' (they are considered fine worn under a long top). We just came back from Disney World and it seemed like half the grown women were wearing leggings without a long top over it. Is this the new style? They looked ridiculous with their underwear, cracks, and camel toes on full display. One woman had on light pink ones with black underwear showing through, completely inappropriate for the Magic Kingdom (or anywhere). Even the thickest black ones look revealing in the bright Florida sun.

Well, let's just be glad it's not the other way around and men are wearing leggings. :scared: :rotfl2:

DD9 has what I guess would be considered leggings. They're black and not see through whatsoever, but they're skin tight. I have no issue with it at all.

I cannot believe the uproar this nosy lady started. She really should have minded her own business.
Once again, its people who feel the rules don't apply to them. I clearly know what I can and can't wear when I fly stand-by.

If these girls were flying with an employee, why does that matter? Who is going to notice? Is some passenger going to be upset because a ten year old daughter of some United mechanic is flying in leggings? Is the parent in United employee attire? How would other passengers even know the parent was an employee?

Talk about getting offended, why the heck would a passenger give a crap about what a United employee is wearing on the flight unless the employee was currently working. Even then, why would it matter what the employee's children are wearing?

Seems like United is micromananging just for the sake if it. It doesn't sound like a company I would want to work for.

Last edited:
I think they should change the rules. I'm guessing that back in the day, women probably had to wear skirts. One of my first jobs was in a bank, I had to wear a skirt and hose, no pants allowed. Look online at every clothing retailer, even higher end, you will find women wearing leggings as pants. Our schools used to not allow them, but that has changed. Almost all of United's clothing restrictions are geared towards women.

I think they should change the rules. I'm guessing that back in the day, women probably had to wear skirts. One of my first jobs was in a bank, I had to wear a skirt and hose, no pants allowed. Look online at every clothing retailer, even higher end, you will find women wearing leggings as pants. Our schools used to not allow them, but that has changed. Almost all of United's clothing restrictions are geared towards women.

Seems like all the clothing rules in tbe world are geared towards women.

I think they should change the rules. I'm guessing that back in the day, women probably had to wear skirts. One of my first jobs was in a bank, I had to wear a skirt and hose, no pants allowed.

Did your bank also regulate what your children had to wear when they came into the bank to do banking with their account? Because that's the equivalent to what we are talking about.

Did your bank also regulate what your children had to wear when they came into the bank to do banking with their account? Because that's the equivalent to what we are talking about.
They were banned from the flight because they were representatives of the airline, and therefore had a dress code. Not all dress codes are equal, and should change with the times.

We all might think it's silly. But I'm guessing the people who get these comped tickets understand the rules. If they don't like it, they should buy a ticket and dress like a schlub like everyone else.
Yeah, it wasn't the young women who were refused complaining. It was some woman that had no real idea about what was going on. The young women changed and got on a later flight.

It's not equivalent, not even close.

I don't understand why everyone is making such a big deal about this. The were flying non-rev. There is a dress code that they have to abide by and they didn't. They were asked to change, they did, and they were put on another flight. It's a non-story.

It's not equivalent, not even close.

Why? What if her children didn't have to pay a checking account fee because their mom worked for the bank?

What am I missing here? An employee is flying on comped passes. The employee isn't working. The employee's kids aren't working. Right?

I don't understand why everyone is making such a big deal about this. The were flying non-rev. There is a dress code that they have to abide by and they didn't. They were asked to change, they did, and they were put on another flight. It's a non-story.

I have two problems.

1. The dress codes seems arbitrary. Dad can bear is hairy legs. Dad's pre-pubescent daughters can't wear leggings.
2. Why is there a dress code to begin with? As I asked earlier, who's going to notice? Why is "random lady getting offended about girls not allowed on plane" wrong, but "random passengers offended by 10 year olds in leggings" NOT wrong? If you spend your time sneering at girls in leggings when they walk by you on the plane, maybe you need to reevaluate your priorities.

For a board so hell-bent on the twitter lady being nosy, there are sure a lot of "is X thing tacky?" questions every week. Seems like a double standard to me. It's ok for the majority of this board to get offended over somebody asking for money at a shower or whatever the pet peeve of the month is, but it's no ok for someone else to get upset by arbitrary nonsensical dress codes. It's a plane. Nobody is looking at these girls' leggings. They are sitting in their seats for 95% of the flight. What are you doing, turning around and staring at their legs?

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter