United Airlines tries to ban two young girls from flight because of leggings

Didn't see it until here but it appears the real issue was that they were flying on employee free passes not paid tickets and those tickets come with following United's strict employee dress code on top of refulsr flying rules. Heard something similar go down at Jetblue where I thought the FA was beig incredibly rude to the guy. That was until she came over and said I'm sorry for being strict but you are flying on an employee pass and we both could lose our jobs if I had said yes to you. Wasn't sure what it was about but he got less huffy after she said that.

Also we don't know what type if leggings they were. Some people hear leggings and think the thicker yoda pants theg lounge around in or do errands in. I've seen too many young girls and women in practically see through leggings out and about. So I could see if they were thin and possibly stretched too tightly the violated the passenger carriage agreement which says casual proper attire.

Last edited:
Didn't see it until here but it appears the real issue was that they were flying on employee free passes not paid tickets and those tickets come with following Delta's strict employee dress code on top of refulsr flying rules. Heard something similar go down at Jetblue where I thought the FA was beig incredibly rude to the guy. That was until she came over and said I'm sorry for being strict but you are flying on an employee pass and we both could lose our jobs if I had said yes to you. Wasn't sure what it was about but he got less huffy after she said that.

Also we don't know what type if leggings they were. Some people hear leggings and think the thicker yoda pants theg lounge around in or do errands in. I've seen too many young girls and women in practically see through leggings out and about. So I could see if they were thin and possibly stretched too tightly the violated the passenger carriage agreement which says casual proper attire.

Interesting, I was wondering if there was more to the story, I didn't see that about the employee passes. I do also wonder if there was something really see through or otherwise inappropriate about the leggings, but then you have to also wonder if they ban people for excessive cleavage showing, or men with low hanging pants showing their underwear lol.

It sounds like someone who didn't have the whole story and jumped to a bunch of conclusions based on what she assumed was going on. It sounds like she's created a problem where there wasn't one because she spoke before knew what was actually going on (not that was any of her business anyways).
If they were flying on a pass with certain rules then those rules need to be followed even if they seem stupid or unnecessary.

Interesting, I was wondering if there was more to the story, I didn't see that about the employee passes. I do also wonder if there was something really see through or otherwise inappropriate about the leggings, but then you have to also wonder if they ban people for excessive cleavage showing, or men with low hanging pants showing their underwear lol.

Yeah United tweeted it was the fact they were flying on that type of pass. Some are saying that is Bs because the dad was allowed to wear shorts but again no clue if dad was flying on employee pass as well or if just the 3 girls were but United official stance is that was a direct violation of their policy.

Last edited:
Yeah Delta tweeted it was the fact they were flying on that type of pass. Some are saying that is Bs because the dad was allowed to wear shorts but again no clue if dad was flying on employee pass as well or if just the 3 girls were but United official stance is that was a direct violation of their policy.

What does Delta have to do with this?

When it comes to leggings the fact that no skin is showing is irrelevant. A woman I know described it best. You can still see absolutely everything it is just a different color.

Yoga pants/leggings are not pants. I have had to start having this fight with DD10 this year as she wants to be able to wear stretch pants and yoga pants to school. I am pretty sure the dress codes in our local middle and high schools do not allow them to be worn as pants. And even if they do, I do not find them acceptable unless she is wearing shorts or a skirt or something over them.

After reading the article the girls in question were not the employees. I think one was around 10 years old. Denying them boarding may have been a little over the top but really, why didn't her parents see that she was properly dressed when she left the house? My mother works at a travel agency and when I was a kid she got a certain number of free airline tickets a year so we flew for free many times and there was a dress code we had to abide by. It doesn't surprise me at all that that is still the case.

When it comes to leggings the fact that no skin is showing is irrelevant. A woman I know described it best. You can still see absolutely everything it is just a different color.

Yoga pants/leggings are not pants. I have had to start having this fight with DD10 this year as she wants to be able to wear stretch pants and yoga pants to school. I am pretty sure the dress codes in our local middle and high schools do not allow them to be worn as pants. And even if they do, I do not find them acceptable unless she is wearing shorts or a skirt or something over them.

After reading the article the girls in question were not the employees. I think one was around 10 years old. Denying them boarding may have been a little over the top but really, why didn't her parents see that she was properly dressed when she left the house? My mother works at a travel agency and when I was a kid she got a certain number of free airline tickets a year so we flew for free many times and there was a dress code we had to abide by. It doesn't surprise me at all that that is still the case.

First of all, just because you don't think leggings are appropriate for your child doesn't mean that is everyone's rule. Leggings cover skin and actual body parts. I'm not sure what you think the female body looks like naked from the waist down, but it doesn't look like a pair of leggings in a different color.
And you are right the 10 year old isn't an employee, but those passes are also good for family members, which she probably is.

Yoga pants literally have "pants" in their name so yeah, they are pants.
The girl doesn't have to be an employee to be flying on an employee pass, should could've been a family member of an employee.

Last edited:

The same could be said for skinny jeans or very fitted pants. I can tell you leggings are worn by many girls in our middle and high school. My daughter doesn't happen to like them but I wouldn't have an issue with them if she did.

My son works for the airlines and we have a dress code when we fly.
He doesn't like to even give his buddy passes out to anyone he isn't 100% sure of because if they do something wrong, he could loose his flying privileges.
All the airlines seem to be strict with this, and people should be so grateful they get the opportunity to fly free and not break the guidelines, I know we are.

If I was flying free on someone's pass, I would certainly be grateful and willing to dress up, but I admit I would be extremely curious as to why. I get that employees need to represent the airline, but how does another passenger even know if some random child they happen to see is flying on an employee pass?

If I was flying free on someone's pass, I would certainly be grateful and willing to dress up, but I admit I would be extremely curious as to why. I get that employees need to represent the airline, but how does another passenger even know if some random child they happen to see is flying on an employee pass?
On the off chance that said child may say something to someone about getting special tickets (and where from) they would then be deemed as "representing" the company that supplies the pass.

it makes me wonder on where they sit as well. I know employees of airlines sometimes fly the jump seat? I could be wrong but ive heard about that.

Did it say the girl was ten? And that Dad was allowed to board in shorts?

The New York times ran an article on this. The United spokesman said this "pass travelers are “representing” the company and as such are not allowed to wear Lycra and spandex leggings, tattered or ripped jeans, midriff shirts, flip-flops or any article of clothing that shows their undergarments."

So it does appear shorts were okay and leggings are not. 2 teens were not allowed to board but the 10 year old was because they had a dress she could put on over her clothes. Wasn't clear if the 2 teens were flying with the 10 year old or not. Seems the initial twitter caused a lot of commotion over something that is directly called out in the employee handbook for travel.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter