United Airlines tries to ban two young girls from flight because of leggings

Yes, I totally understand, Cabanfrau!!!!

Are you saying that perhaps airlines actually have policies that are unequal and disrespectful of gender, ethnicity, etc.
I do see that it might be important, in the interest of any passenger who experiences a medical issue, that staff be able to ascertain the credentials of somebody who is providing medical assistance that might require more than some simple basic 'medical technician/assistant' type of training and knowledge. (Not sure what type of procedures or assistance that were necessary in the one case that is mentioned here) All about liability.

What I am saying, I suppose, is that we are comparing one individuals stupid actions to a broad policy.

look at it this way...

On the Disboards, we don't discuss politics or religion. Why? Because the mods have said those topics are not for discussion. We are guests on their free forums, so we respect their rules and don't bring in those topics.

it's the same with United. You want to use their free passes, you respect their rules and dress/behave appropriately.

Granted, I don't fly much, but I've never had a conversation on an airplane or in an airport about what my tickets cost. So, aside from volunteering the information, how else does it come up?

The few times it has "come up" was when I noticed the seats next to me were empty. A couple sits down during the standby boarding or a single and their first comment is oh gosh these are such nice seats. Usually we get stuck in the back by the bathrooms with the passes or something similar. Also some airlines have a standby board. So it is clear at least who is flying on standby and I know you can't usually buy standby you either get it as a comp or you get it for changing at the airport.

i doubt it, it seems like United employees understand(and probably is told at the start) that this is a privilege, not a benefit. Its like, free disneyland tickets for cast members. the cast members will tell you to behave if u use it and not to sell it to anyone. Its got terms and conditions attached to it.

I mean, at the end, its not an United employee complaining about it, its an outsider who doesnt work for United complaining about it. it sounds like the 2 girls accepted their faith and changed to get on the flight.

It will surprise me if the policy is not changed in the future. I know it was not an employee complaining but this has given UA negative press.

It will surprise me if the policy is not changed in the future. I know it was not an employee complaining but this has given UA negative press.

i asked on another board who works for the airline says the rule is actually more lax than before. they used to require business casual... i dont particularly think it would give UA negative press. I mean, rules are rules right? :P

The few times it has "come up" was when I noticed the seats next to me were empty. A couple sits down during the standby boarding or a single and their first comment is oh gosh these are such nice seats. Usually we get stuck in the back by the bathrooms with the passes or something similar. Also some airlines have a standby board. So it is clear at least who is flying on standby and I know you can't usually buy standby you either get it as a comp or you get it for changing at the airport.
Ah, thank you.

Granted, I don't fly much, but I've never had a conversation on an airplane or in an airport about what my tickets cost. So, aside from volunteering the information, how else does it come up?
Talking to the person next to you on the plane - what do you do? Oh I work for Delta or United or whatever as a Pilot/FA etc. Oh nice. That must be interesting. Do you travel much? yeah its one of the perks we get to fly standby for free

or whatever.

Sitting at the bar at the airport, someone sits down and the bartender says something like - not that one. And you hear him say the next standby is in an hour maybe that one. You end up speaking with him and find out his friend gave him a buddy pass.

I'm a social person so I can talk to pretty much anyone.

I can also see United claiming that enforcing a dress code sets a tone for appropriate behavior. I would guess (though I have no research to back it up) that when a person submits to a dress code, that they might also be more inclined to be more well-behaved overall, and it is in United's best interest to make sure anyone flying for free is also on their best behavior. Even if no one knows they are flying for free, you don't want free passengers causing any minor disturbance for paying customers. While a dress code by no means guarantees that, it could be seen as a contributing factor.

I was at Disney a week ago and saw a horrible image of a woman in black leggings! The lady was bent over and I turned my head in time to see the horror of the black leggings becoming see through. I got a gross picture of lots of crack as the underwear didn't even fit. Not a pretty site. Also, tons of ladies wear leggings to the store and as soon as they bend over you can totally see everything. Has anyone seen those nude leggings? YIKES!!!

My sister worked in the legal division of a major airline and when I would fly with her, she would wear her company ID/lanyard. She would get special perks too. Like when we flew back from China, they gave us a bottle of wine and free alcohol. It was pretty clear that we were flying on a corporate pass.

Not sure how it would work on a buddy pass when flying alone. I never used it without her.

This whole PR fiasco might have been avoided if United had responded properly to the first tweet from the busybody woman. They should have posted a generic "buzz off" of "Thank you for bringing this incident to our attention. We will investigate and make any necessary changes."

Instead United's Twitter team kept spouting the "we have a right to enforce a dress code." Only later did they say the no leggings rule was for non-revenue flyers only, and by that time the damage was done. I'm not even sure if United PR itself realized the situation at first. They need a better social media crew. Facts don't matter in the twitterverse, perception does.

Still, I doubt there will be any long term harm. Social media has a short attention span. Every airline has had PR snafus that are quickly forgotten.

I have flown on my BIL's buddy passes several times; he's a FA with United. He was very careful to let us know about the dress code, and also that he could lose his job if we didn't comply. We had no problems with it. Heck, we were flying practically free (had to pay taxes at the time); why would we complain about having to dress nicely? I just wore what I usually wear to work: Pants (not jeans), decent shirt/sweater, and a scarf. My sister dresses similarly and their girls usually wear dresses with leggings under them- the kids have been flying since they were babies and even when they aren't flying non-rev, they still dress this way. My BIL wears his uniform. It's company policy, and there are requirements/prohibitions for both genders. I'm not sure I understand the issue here. It's not like United has set a policy for ALL passengers; this is specific for passengers who are flying without paying, as guests/representatives of the airline. Don't like it? Don't fly for free!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter