United Airlines Kills a Dog

This is such a sad story but I don't think we know all of the facts. We don't know if the pet carrier was too big to fit under the seat and that's why the FA asked her to put it into the overhead. We don't know if the overhead bin is sealed and prevents adequate air flow. We don't know if the breed's known breathing problems due to its pug nose caused or contributed to its death. We don't know if the owner periodically checked on her dog.

This is such a sad story but I don't think we know all of the facts. We don't know if the pet carrier was too big to fit under the seat and that's why the FA asked her to put it into the overhead. We don't know if the overhead bin is sealed and prevents adequate air flow. We don't know if the breed's known breathing problems due to its pug nose caused or contributed to its death. We don't know if the owner periodically checked on her dog.
I totally agree not enough information..and yet at the same time has any FA been advised that an alternative to a dog in a carrier under the seat is a dog in a carrier in the overhead bin? I'm trying to envision that sort of information being protocol in an employee handguide.

I totally agree not enough information..and yet at the same time has any FA been advised that an alternative to a dog in a carrier under the seat is a dog in a carrier in the overhead bin? I'm trying to envision that sort of information being protocol in an employee handguide.

I don't know what the protocol is (or if there is one) but if there was one I would think it would be to send the animal to ride in the cargo section. Perhaps the FA realized it was too big to fit under the seat but it was too late to send the dog below without delaying the flight. This may have been a tragic accident caused by several contributing factors. I'm sure the FA didn't intend for the dog to die.

One article stated it was a French bulldog puppy. Pug nosed dogs have a history of having breathing problems that are exacerbated when flying. Lots of airlines won't allow them in the cargo hold (or at least they didn't used to). Maybe being in the overhead bin was too much like that--still pressurized, but without enough air for a dog that already has breathing issues. Such a sad story . . . . :(

I don't know what the protocol is (or if there is one) but if there was one I would think it would be to send the animal to ride in the cargo section. Perhaps the FA realized it was too big to fit under the seat but it was too late to send the dog below without delaying the flight. This may have been a tragic accident caused by several contributing factors. I'm sure the FA didn't intend for the dog to die.
I very much doubt the FA meant for the dog to die but what I'm trying to say is the FA could still be negligent in the sense that it's not policy to even suggest to put a dog in the overhead bin. If the option of under the seat wouldn't work it would seem logical the remaining options of cargo (if the dog qualified) or the passenger would need to deplane and make other arrangements. If it's not protocol I don't think the FA could assume that it would be acceptable to suggest overhead bin to begin with. I would think when it comes to live animals that protocol exists for a reason.

United's statement indicates there should never be a reason for an animal to be placed in the overhead bin:
"This was a tragic accident that should never have occurred, as pets should never be placed in the overhead bin. We assume full responsibility for this tragedy and express our deepest condolences to the family and are committed to supporting them. We are thoroughly investigating what occurred to prevent this from ever happening again."

Even if the dog didn't die the FA should be held responsible for even suggesting it. In the end it's improper to have a pet in the overhead bin.

Sorry...tragic accident my butt! The airline failed! I also think the lady should have gotten off & I absolutely would have. But, I understand that the lady may have felt intimidated or desperate or thought it was a safe alternative if someone in charge told her to do it. I would never fly with my dogs for leisure after the nonsense I’ve heard & seen. I hope there is never a case that I would have to.

One article stated it was a French bulldog puppy. Pug nosed dogs have a history of having breathing problems that are exacerbated when flying. Lots of airlines won't allow them in the cargo hold (or at least they didn't used to). Maybe being in the overhead bin was too much like that--still pressurized, but without enough air for a dog that already has breathing issues. Such a sad story . . . . :(
Likely it couldn’t breathe & that makes me sick to my stomach to thing about that poor baby suffering up there. That’s a horrible death!!

At least United accepted responsibility right away.

According to the article, it was ONLY because 2 passengers who witnessed the whole event, stayed afterward and made sure it is known that the flight attendant LIED and said she did not know a dog was in the bag.

"The flight attendant denied knowing it was a dog, but the man seated next to me said he heard the flight attendant respond to the passenger “you need to put your dog up here” – therefore admitting that she knew an animal was in there. The flight attendant denied knowing it was a dog, but the man seated next to me said he heard the flight attendant respond to the passenger “you need to put your dog up here” – therefore admitting that she knew an animal was in there."
The flight attendant is a lying piece of (bleep) who had no regard or remorse for the life of the dog, either before or after the event. :furious: :sad2:

The airline industry is one of the few industries I know of that is openly hostile to its own customers.

How on Earth did the flight attendant think that the overhead bin was an appropriate place for a dog? I have never heard of such a thing. I do not believe this is in line with airline policy, and that speaks to a terrible lack of training on the part of United.

United Airlines is the same carrier which played "The Hunger Games," with it's own passengers, randomly picking a "tribute" to force off the plane they purposely overbooked. And when the passenger wouldn't leave, had security knock his head into an arm rest and drag him off unconscious & bloody. So much for flying the "friendly skies of United." :sad2: #Passengers&PetsLivesMatter. :mad:

Sorry...tragic accident my butt! The airline failed! I also think the lady should have gotten off & I absolutely would have. But, I understand that the lady may have felt intimidated or desperate or thought it was a safe alternative if someone in charge told her to do it. I would never fly with my dogs for leisure after the nonsense I’ve heard & seen. I hope there is never a case that I would have to.

I don't think we have all of the facts yet. There are no reports or video of the owner telling the FA that her dog was in the carrier and couldn't be put in the overhead. There are no reports of her declining and asking to get off the plane. There are no reports of her checking on the dog during the flight. She didn't say anything afterwards that she felt intimidated or was desperate when she followed the FA's instructions. This leads me to think she thought the dog would be OK up there. If she thought that way, the FA may have also. I heard last night that the request came because the carrier was not fully under the seat and actually partly in the aisle so it may have been too big. Yes, the airline is responsible due to the FA's request, but at this time I still think this is a tragic accident.

There are no reports of her checking on the dog during the flight.

Of course not - don't they always say you aren't allowed to open overhead bins during the flight, because stuff can fall on people's heads? Obviously, the women was following instructions to the letter.

I see both the FA and the passenger here being overwhelmed, under pressure, and just plain ignorant. There is no way an animal belongs up there!!! Never, ever, ever. It's cruel!

Based on this and previous incidents, this airline clearly has training issues, and I would be very nervous to fly with them. I hope they are never my only option.

Of course, if I ever have to travel with my cats, I plan to drive anyway! (I already would have, because I was always scared of someone saying they needed to go under the plane with the luggage, but now I'm even more convinced.)

don't they always say you aren't allowed to open overhead bins during the flight, because stuff can fall on people's heads?
I don't think I've ever heard that. I've heard "be careful opening the overhead bins" but never "don't".

I see both the FA and the passenger here being overwhelmed, under pressure, and just plain ignorant. There is no way an animal belongs up there!!! Never, ever, ever. It's cruel!
So did you know there was a lack of oxygen or excess heat up there before this incident? I'll be honest, I never even thought about it, but would have guessed it wasn't an issue.

I do wonder what United's policy is for pet carriers that don't fit under the seat. I wonder if they even have a policy for it. Luggage that doesn't fit under the seat needs to go in the overhead. I don't think it's beyond the realm of possibility that the FA thought "it doesn't fit under the seat, so it has to go in the overhead".

So did you know there was a lack of oxygen or excess heat up there before this incident? I'll be honest, I never even thought about it, but would have guessed it wasn't an issue.

I do wonder what United's policy is for pet carriers that don't fit under the seat. I wonder if they even have a policy for it. Luggage that doesn't fit under the seat needs to go in the overhead. I don't think it's beyond the realm of possibility that the FA thought "it doesn't fit under the seat, so it has to go in the overhead".

I think I would have been worried about air - but even if I wasn't, I would have been worried about all the jostling around (or even just the puppy being scared up there alone in the dark). A living creature is not "luggage".

I don't think I've ever heard that. I've heard "be careful opening the overhead bins" but never "don't".

Agreed, I have only heard to be careful when opening the overhead bins.

And whether people knew it would be unsafe for a pet up there, the flight attendant should have know.

What an awful story.

I don't think we have all of the facts yet. There are no reports or video of the owner telling the FA that her dog was in the carrier and couldn't be put in the overhead. There are no reports of her declining and asking to get off the plane. There are no reports of her checking on the dog during the flight. She didn't say anything afterwards that she felt intimidated or was desperate when she followed the FA's instructions. This leads me to think she thought the dog would be OK up there. If she thought that way, the FA may have also. I heard last night that the request came because the carrier was not fully under the seat and actually partly in the aisle so it may have been too big. Yes, the airline is responsible due to the FA's request, but at this time I still think this is a tragic accident.

The bolded statement I'm going to call bull on. There are many things I suspect the average passanger doesn't understand about flying that the FA should because it is literally their job. United even stated that pets should not have been up there. If its against policy it never should have happened.

Of course not - don't they always say you aren't allowed to open overhead bins during the flight, because stuff can fall on people's heads? Obviously, the women was following instructions to the letter.

Nope. Never heard that. I open the bin at least once on pretty much every flight (why I always get an aisle seat). Leaving it open is bad, but opening it to get something/check on something is totally fine. They do usually tell you to be careful because things may have shifted (but that's usually on landing).

The bolded statement I'm going to call bull on. There are many things I suspect the average passanger doesn't understand about flying that the FA should because it is literally their job. United even stated that pets should not have been up there. If its against policy it never should have happened.

You are right in that it might have been against policy but if it wasn't noticed before they left the gate, should they have turned the plane around and delayed the flight so the dog could be sent below to cargo? Those kinds of breeds have breathing issues and I wonder if a vet would clear it for air travel. The airlines may require that going forward.

Nope. Never heard that. I open the bin at least once on pretty much every flight (why I always get an aisle seat). Leaving it open is bad, but opening it to get something/check on something is totally fine. They do usually tell you to be careful because things may have shifted (but that's usually on landing).

I've definitely heard that on landing. Maybe I'm just remembering a particularly bumpy flight where we were asked not to open them while the seat belt light was on or something?? - I admit I wouldn't really think much about it, because I always put the things I want for the flight in my smaller under-seat bag, and my overhead carry-on just has the stuff I need after I get there. Good to know I would usually have the option, though!

You are right in that it might have been against policy but if it wasn't noticed before they left the gate, should they have turned the plane around and delayed the flight so the dog could be sent below to cargo? Those kinds of breeds have breathing issues and I wonder if a vet would clear it for air travel. The airlines may require that going forward.
They do have breathing issues & if it were a puppy, it might have been a new dog for her. I want to give her a pass b/c it’s so tragic for her family, but as the dog owner she is ultimately the one responsible for its welfare. There are few things in life I can say would always & never do, but this us one of those NEVERS!! I get that we don’t have all the facts & can’t blame anyone officially yet, but that’s no accident. Someone needs to be held responsible for this. That poor baby suffered & died. That is just incomprehensible to me. Unless there is an apocalypse type situation that I can’t foresee, I’d never fly with my dogs b/c one is a large golden so he’d have to fly below. I know the airline doesn’t have much choice, but he is NOT cargo!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter