Unique ideas for special trip

KatieCharlotte

DIS Veteran
I am brainstorming a list of unique activities for a week-long RPR stay with a middle schooler who is a new Harry Potter fanatic with a serious sweet tooth who has been to Universal numerous times but always with a larger group with their own needs and agenda. She loves water rides and medium coasters, but she's also a sensitive old soul. She likes to eat but is dealing with braces.

I would love more ideas.

My list so far:
Snacks eaten outside at Portofino in the evening, hopefully during the opera -- I assume RPR can find out the time for me?
Holiday tree scavenger hunt
Sharing a crazy milkshake or two at Toothsome
Milkshakes at Mel's Drive In -- her request
Day of Icees -- with freestyle refillable cups
:drinking1

Afternoon of water rides followed by hot tub. Cooler weather won't stop us. :cool2: Not the same day as Day of Icees
Check out the Hard Rock hotel
Obviously daily Voodoo Donuts
Breaking her repeat ride record on Woody Woodpecker coaster :jumping1:

Make rope drop with wands, maybe in costume (okay, just her) and actually pretend to be first years getting our supplies and going to Hogwarts.

Maybe try ALL the butterbeer products over the course of the trip? Except fair warning, the fudge gets bad reviews generally. Frozen, regular, hot in the winter, fudge, potted cream (this is my fav, I think it’s at Leaky Cauldron), soft serve at Fortscue, hard pack in Hogsmeade. Do the spells In Diagon Alley during early entry since you’ll have express passes. Nearly everyone gets in line for the ride, so you can usually walk right up to the spell locations.

Be sure to get Park to Park tickets so you can ride the Hogwarts Express. And is a different “show“ on the train from king’s Cross to Hogsmeade and back so need to ride it both ways at least once.

I am brainstorming a list of unique activities for a week-long RPR stay with a middle schooler who is a new Harry Potter fanatic with a serious sweet tooth who has been to Universal numerous times but always with a larger group with their own needs and agenda. She loves water rides and medium coasters, but she's also a sensitive old soul. She likes to eat but is dealing with braces.

I would love more ideas.

My list so far:
Snacks eaten outside at Portofino in the evening, hopefully during the opera -- I assume RPR can find out the time for me?
Holiday tree scavenger hunt
Sharing a crazy milkshake or two at Toothsome
Milkshakes at Mel's Drive In -- her request
Day of Icees -- with freestyle refillable cups
:drinking1

Afternoon of water rides followed by hot tub. Cooler weather won't stop us. :cool2: Not the same day as Day of Icees
Check out the Hard Rock hotel
Obviously daily Voodoo Donuts
Breaking her repeat ride record on Woody Woodpecker coaster :jumping1:

Make rope drop with wands, maybe in costume (okay, just her) and actually pretend to be first years getting our supplies and going to Hogwarts.
what opera are you referring to?

what opera are you referring to?

The singing from the balcony, Musica Della Note. We heard it accidentally once while waiting for the boat back to City Walk after dinner and would like to listen to it again under more relaxing circumstances.

Last edited:

Uh, while it's not bad for the past few days, I don't know when you plan on going, but I don't think that is a good idea if it's cooler out.

Rip Saw Falls for example feels like you're being slapped by an ice burg even when it's not cold outside. At least the few times I've been on it felt like it. I wouldn't want to know what it feels like when it's cool outside. Besides, typically if it's winter season those rides are being refurbed anyway and if they're not being refurbed I do not know if they close them due to weather, or not, but they might be. As I know VB gets closed when it's cold outside. Either way, wouldn't recommend it, especially since it'll be quite a walk from the water rides all the way to the hot tub.

Uh, while it's not bad for the past few days, I don't know when you plan on going, but I don't think that is a good idea if it's cooler out.

Rip Saw Falls for example feels like you're being slapped by an ice burg even when it's not cold outside. At least the few times I've been on it felt like it. I wouldn't want to know what it feels like when it's cool outside. Besides, typically if it's winter season those rides are being refurbed anyway and if they're not being refurbed I do not know if they close them due to weather, or not, but they might be. As I know VB gets closed when it's cold outside. Either way, wouldn't recommend it, especially since it'll be quite a walk from the water rides all the way to the hot tub.

Bilge Rat has been closed but will be open by the time we're there. Jurassic River Adventure is refurbing in mid-Jan. We've been on Ripsaw and Bilge Rat Barges in late Dec/early Jan before. The tough part was waiting to ride Ripsaw while soaked from Bilge Rats and then getting soaked again, but my daughter was still calling it her favorite ride. We swim outside when it's 65 degrees in July at home so :confused3 :rotfl2:

I'm planning a water ride day, so she won't want to go on water rides every day. :laughing: I will be looking for one of the warmer days in the forecast for our week. It really does need to be in the 70s for me.

More power to you than @KatieCharlotte! I can understand people swimming at the hotels even though it's cold, because to some, it's not cold compared to home, but also, because the pool's are heated. However, if you had to do it at all it would be best to knock it out in one day.

The singing from the balcony, Musica Della Note. We heard it accidentally once while waiting for the boat back to City Walk after dinner and would like to listen to it again under more relaxing circumstances.
nice....does this happen at a daily set time?

nice....does this happen at a daily set time?

I have only heard vague things like "dusk." I'd love to know roughly what time it happens this time of year. I think someone asked the question here, and no one responded, so I thought I'd asked the concierge at Royal Pacific, where we're staying, if they can find out.

I have only heard vague things like "dusk." I'd love to know roughly what time it happens this time of year. I think someone asked the question here, and no one responded, so I thought I'd asked the concierge at Royal Pacific, where we're staying, if they can find out.

They told me Sunset when I asked. Yes, it is a little vague but as accurate as can be I guess.

Thank you.

I am anxiously anticipating everyone's photos of the new grab and go at RPR. :)

Today and tomorrow are catching up on everything :crazy:.....then should have them up by the weekend. Will pop them in the RP thread as a regular post and if I have room, in one of the posts on the first page.

Shame they haven’t posted a complete menu online.

@KatieCharlotte since you're saying dusk and @schumigirl is stating sunset I will estimate it will be 5:30 for a showing during this time of the year. To be safe, perhaps arrive at 5, or 5:15 to be sure. Always best to be too early then too late.

If your trip is Feb/Mar timeframe, you might look at participating in one of the evening Mardi Gras parades. I don't remember if you have to be an annual pass holder or not, but in years past you could sign up to ride in one of the floats and throw the bead-necklaces out to people on the streets. My daughter thoroughly enjoyed doing that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter