Understanding Use Year - Updated February 10, 2021

Buying direct very soon and just want a second opinion to make sure I'm thinking about this correctly.

We travel mostly Feb, Sept and Oct, (beginning Nov). That being said, an August or September UY would be best... correct?

Buying direct very soon and just want a second opinion to make sure I'm thinking about this correctly.

We travel mostly Feb, Sept and Oct, (beginning Nov). That being said, an August or September UY would be best... correct?

That would be my choice!

Okay I have read this thread several times over the last week and still looking for some guidance. I do not have a usual travel time - in the last 4 years I have visited in Dec, Oct, May and have a trip booked upcoming in February. The guide I started speaking with suggested a June UY. What would be the pros/cons of a June UY?

Last edited:

Okay I have read this thread several times over the last week and still looking for some guidance. I do not have a usual travel time - in the last 4 years I have visited in Dec, Oct, May and have a trip booked upcoming in February. The guide to started speaking with suggested a June UY. What would be the pros/cons of a June UY?
With those months, your issue with June I think would be if you had to cancel May trip and it was past the time you could bank your points. But another use year is likely to give you a similar problem with trips in other months. We travel at all different times, so I ended up not worrying about the use year, and so far I've had no issues.

With those months, your issue with June I think would be if you had to cancel May trip and it was past the time you could bank your points. But another use year is likely to give you a similar problem with trips in other months. We travel at all different times, so I ended up not worrying about the use year, and so far I've had no issues.
Thanks for the feedback!

Okay I have read this thread several times over the last week and still looking for some guidance. I do not have a usual travel time - in the last 4 years I have visited in Dec, Oct, May and have a trip booked upcoming in February. The guide I started speaking with suggested a June UY. What would be the pros/cons of a June UY?
For those months, June would almost be the worst. September, October, February, and December would be better, likely in that order.

We have a March use year and have never had a problem. We have traveled in Feb,May,June,July,Aug and Nov. Our banking deadline is October 31

Looking for advice. Currently our most frequent travel months are April / May and September / October. The latter has the possibility to be canceled due to work. Cannot travel in November / December due to work. Open to travel in January / February or even early March but generally not interested in Spring Break, Summer, or Christmas Break time frames. What would be our best use year options?

Looking for advice. Currently our most frequent travel months are April / May and September / October. The latter has the possibility to be canceled due to work. Cannot travel in November / December due to work. Open to travel in January / February or even early March but generally not interested in Spring Break, Summer, or Christmas Break time frames. What would be our best use year options?
Those are the times I also travel almost exactly and I have an April UY. Nov 30 is your banking deadline. I do sometimes go the 1st week of March, and luckily haven’t had any issues with having to cancel yet.

Editing to add that March would also work for you.

Great tips. Can someone pls still help me?
We usually travel sept - early Dec .. with Sept usually the main month.
what use year should be best for me?
Thank you so much.

So this isn't really a purchasing DVC question, but this seemed the best thread to ask the question!

I am already a member with a December UY. I have 0 in my 2022 UY, I have 34 in my 2023 UY, and 315 in 2024 (my full allowance).

Am I right in thinking, if I want to book a trip beginning on the 01 December 2023, I can use the points from my 2024 UY?

I have never booked a trip right at the start of my UY before so it has never really come up, but I am confident I am right.

So this isn't really a purchasing DVC question, but this seemed the best thread to ask the question!

I am already a member with a December UY. I have 0 in my 2022 UY, I have 34 in my 2023 UY, and 315 in 2024 (my full allowance).

Am I right in thinking, if I want to book a trip beginning on the 01 December 2023, I can use the points from my 2024 UY?

I have never booked a trip right at the start of my UY before so it has never really come up, but I am confident I am right.
Yes, you can borrow all of your 2024 points for a trip in your 2023 use year.

Edited to check: You have not yet started your 2022 use year. Have you already borrowed the points from 2022 and 2023?

Yes, you can borrow all of your 2024 points for a trip in your 2023 use year.

Edited to check: You have not yet started your 2022 use year. Have you already borrowed the points from 2022 and 2023?

Yeah I used my 2023 points for an upcoming trip in March next year, and 2022 points went on a couple of trips earlier this year.

Those are the times I also travel almost exactly and I have an April UY. Nov 30 is your banking deadline. I do sometimes go the 1st week of March, and luckily haven’t had any issues with having to cancel yet.

Editing to add that March would also work for you.
Thank you! We have an offer for a March contract just sent to ROFR 🤞🏼

Thank you! We have an offer for a March contract just sent to ROFR 🤞🏼
I have 2 contracts both with (since July 2017) March UY. Your banking deadline will be on Halloween (when you pass ROFR). We sometimes travel the first week of November as our granddaughters live in NJ and we have been going "jersey week" and so far no problems having to cancel

We almost always vacation in October through January.
I just purchased our DVC this past weekend and opted for a June use year that way I would still get my points for 2022 and be able to bank them for the following use year.
Are there any key drawbacks to my use year and out usual vacationing months?
Thank you for any info

I have 2 contracts both with (since July 2017) March UY. Your banking deadline will be on Halloween (when you pass ROFR). We sometimes travel the first week of November as our granddaughters live in NJ and we have been going "jersey week" and so far no problems having to cancel

I want to add that with the 31 day rule for holding, those November trips can still be protected.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter