Underrated/Overrated: WDW attractions

Underrated: I'm gonna go out of the box and say Flights of Wonder at DAK. Sure, it's not a show that you need to see every time you visit the park - but many families skip it completely. Personally, I find the setting beautiful and the birds are always amazing.

Overrated: SDMT. Big Thunder did it better is all I'm going to say.

Underrated: I'm gonna go out of the box and say Flights of Wonder at DAK. Sure, it's not a show that you need to see every time you visit the park - but many families skip it completely. Personally, I find the setting beautiful and the birds are always amazing.

I think Flights of Wonder is a great call for underrated ... really, a lot of things like that at AK I think are underappreciated, including the animal trails

Underrated- Stitch's Great Escape. I'm not saying it's the best attraction in WDW. It's not even the best attraction to have been in that building. But I don't understand why it gets so much hate on the boards. Yes, it smells bad and the humor is weak, but the animatronics are quite good and the effects are fine. Plus there is AC and a short wait...what's not to like.

Overrated - MSEP. It's nice. I'll watch it while it is going by, but I can't imaging marking out my territory and waiting hours to have the "perfect" view. There are plenty of other things I'd rather do with that time.

I always try to see (and am amazed by) Flights of Wonder too!

Underrated- Stitch's Great Escape. I'm not saying it's the best attraction in WDW. It's not even the best attraction to have been in that building. But I don't understand why it gets so much hate on the boards. Yes, it smells bad and the humor is weak, but the animatronics are quite good and the effects are fine. Plus there is AC and a short wait...what's not to like.

Overrated - MSEP. It's nice. I'll watch it while it is going by, but I can't imaging marking out my territory and waiting hours to have the "perfect" view. There are plenty of other things I'd rather do with that time.
I must admit to almost always doing (and for the most part enjoying) Stitch too. I love the ending, with the castle, always makes me smile, especially if I have newbies with me! :)

At least for me a lot of the "hate" for Stitch is that it is an attraction that doesn't seem to know what it wants to be - is it supposed to be scary? funny? - it's sort of both ....

... plus I LOVED Alien Encounter so it annoys me that this much lesser version took its place

Underrated - have to agree with Flights of Wonder in AK walked by this attraction for many years before we stopped to see it now we see the show every time. Also Living with the Land is great but more and more people are catching on and riding this.
Overrated - SDMT for as long as it took them to build this the ride is really short. I think they spent more time on the setting and less time on the ride. I would never wait long for it.
I haven't seen the frozen ride yet but have a feeling it will also fall into this catergory.

Underrated: Carousel of Progress. I know that this audience will often appreciate it but it just doesn't get the love from the general public. The lines are always ridiculously short for this classic.

Overrated: Peter Pan's Flight. The lines are ridiculous, the ride itself isn't better than any other dark ride on property, the loading process is crazy slow and tbh I think the movie Peter Pan is overrated. It wins no points with me. If you took all things Peter out of the park (leaving Tink) I'd be very indifferent.

Underrated: Primeval Whirl. I know it has its share of detractors, both in terms of the ride itself and the "land" it's in at AK. But I love this ride. There's rarely a wait, and no ride makes me laugh more while I ride it. It's not my favorite WDW attraction, but it's the one I think people who automatically dismiss it are really missing out on.
In light of Steve Porter's article today suggesting that this be demolished, I totally agree with you. We love this ride. We do it every trip, sometimes more than once. It might be an off-the-rack ride but I've actually never been to any other amusement park that had one so as far as I'm concerned, it's a Disney ride. I don't know why it gets so much hate.

Yes, the whole section is kind of tacky. THAT'S THE POINT! That's exactly what they were going for - tacky carnival theme.

Underrated: Living with the Land. It's such a relaxing ride and I love seeing what they have growing in the greenhouses. And for me it has sentimental value because it was my son's very first Disney ride. (he was 7 months old) I would seriously cry if they ever got rid of this ride. Honorable mention: Citizens of Hollywood. I absolutely love sitting out on the curb and watching them, and it's nice that you don't have to wait in line! I know they have scaled them way back #thanksshanghai, but I hope I'll still get to see them during my next visit.

Overrated: Mine Train. It's cute but super short and I don't think it is worth the wait, even with the interactive queue. Honorable mention: Peter Pan. Same reasons. I just don't get it. Cute ride but why on earth would I want to wait more than 5-10 minutes for it?

In light of Steve Porter's article today suggesting that this be demolished, I totally agree with you. We love this ride. We do it every trip, sometimes more than once. It might be an off-the-rack ride but I've actually never been to any other amusement park that had one so as far as I'm concerned, it's a Disney ride. I don't know why it gets so much hate.

Yes, the whole section is kind of tacky. THAT'S THE POINT! That's exactly what they were going for - tacky carnival theme.

I absolutely love the tackiness of that whole area. It's just awesome.

As for my own answers:

Overrated: I'd have to say Soarin'. I get that it's unique but ultimately, it's not all that different from the old carnival dome surround movies that have been around for decades. Also, I think the engineers really missed the boat when they designed the ride because being able to see people's feet dangling in front of you totally ruins the illusion unless you luck out and get in the front/top row.

Underrated: American Adventure. This is my favorite attraction at WDW. I understand that everyone wants thrills and excitement, but this is an awesome attraction with a huge cast of animatronics that are some of the best around, great music, a show that elicits a range of emotions, and a hefty dose of education along the way. Plus it's air conditioned! And if you're lucky, you get to see and hear the Voices of Liberty perform before the show.

I love the theming to Dinoland and all the though that went into the back story - but if you don't know it I can see it coming off as cheesy and "not getting it"

Oh, one other "underrated" attraction I thought of is One Man's Dream. I love spending a bit of time in there each trip to be reminded of where this all came from

Underrated: American Adventure - I cannot go to Disney World without seeing this at least once, but usually do many times. I love it so much and I rarely see it even mentioned by most. I love that it has been there so long but still uses technology that is interesting. I love the history lesson that many could use and I really love the music. I wish it were more appreciated!
I knew I liked you for a reason!

Oh, one other "underrated" attraction I thought of is One Man's Dream. I love spending a bit of time in there each trip to be reminded of where this all came from
TOTYLLY agree on this!! And it still amazes me they had to put this IN during the 25th, there was nothing there like it then, so they had to MAKE this - even MORE important to keep it around in some form, as far as I'm concerned!

A couple of you mentioned rides not being worth the wait. I think that's an entirely different question. As WDW has gotten more and more crowded, this is becoming a much bigger issue. There are a lot of rides that aren't worth the wait, even rides that I really love. Fortunately, we're able to go to WDW often enough that if we can't get a FP and a line is too long, we just skip things. I love TSMM, for example, but no way am I waiting more than 15-20 minutes to ride it. The same for Peter Pan or RnR or just about anything. I can't think of any ride that I'd be willing to wait more than 30 minutes for and that would be pushing the limit of my patience.

A couple of you mentioned rides not being worth the wait. I think that's an entirely different question. As WDW has gotten more and more crowded, this is becoming a much bigger issue. There are a lot of rides that aren't worth the wait, even rides that I really love. Fortunately, we're able to go to WDW often enough that if we can't get a FP and a line is too long, we just skip things. I love TSMM, for example, but no way am I waiting more than 15-20 minutes to ride it. The same for Peter Pan or RnR or just about anything. I can't think of any ride that I'd be willing to wait more than 30 minutes for and that would be pushing the limit of my patience.
TOTALLY agree on your whole statement, Steve!! See - now I KNOW why we're friends - you're so smart!! (And I also hear level-headed) :laughing:

Seriously - agree with your whole rationale, and thought process on waiting.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter