UK-US travel, 2021/2022

Im stil trying to understand the rules

If I read the CDC page, it mentions 7 day quarantine on arrival

As clear as mud !!

Im stil trying to understand the rules

If I read the CDC page, it mentions 7 day quarantine on arrival

As clear as mud !!

The only reference that I can see on the CDC website for 7 day quarantine is if you are not fully vaccinated but are allowed to travel to USA by air through an exception.

For fully vaccinated it's proof of vaccination and the pre-departure test, no quarantine required.

Don't know which web page you're looking on but this one clearly displays the requirements.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/noncitizens-US-air-travel.html

The only reference that I can see on the CDC website for 7 day quarantine is if you are not fully vaccinated but are allowed to travel to USA by air through an exception.

For fully vaccinated it's proof of vaccination and the pre-departure test, no quarantine required.

Don't know which web page you're looking on but this one clearly displays the requirements.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/noncitizens-US-air-travel.html

But this sounds like it would apply to children under 18 as they're travelling as an exception. Does this really mean that children need to quarantine a week after arrival? If so it's going to be pretty unlikely people will travel to Disney only to lose a week.

Anytime now, there should be clarification from the CDC about exactly what expected for unvaccinated children. On Wednesday, a CDC official said children would not have to quarantine, but would have to test 3 - 5 days after arrival into the US. She said they would have the details later this week. Time's ticking, and we need answers.

But this sounds like it would apply to children under 18 as they're travelling as an exception. Does this really mean that children need to quarantine a week after arrival? If so it's going to be pretty unlikely people will travel to Disney only to lose a week.
Yeah not clear for children. Think the wording is "recommended" rather than required. Doesn't put much confidence in parents flying over with kids this month though.

Well its even more of a shambles!

The UK gov website says vaccinated travellers do not have to quarantine, but do have to take a test 3 - 5 days after arrival, and that unvaccinated travellers have to take a test after arrival and quarantine! And children are only recommended to take a test 3 - 5 days after arrival
Can I cherry pick which bits I like best from each set of guidance :rotfl2:

Someone needs to do a better job of proof reading!

And I've had two texts from Virgin this afternoon - one with a link to the UK gov guidance, and one saying they will be back in touch as they pressed the send button to quickly!

I know the CDC is the king pin in all of this but if they released what the guidance is for the type pf tests kids have to take after arrival it would be a big help.

I know the CDC is the king pin in all of this
Sort of.
I think of them as the (health) engine input to the gearbox that is US bureaucracy. The president, immigration, homeland security and probably the individual states are all clutches and cogs in the machine and eventually you'll get something to drive the wheels out the other side. (Or someone will just keep the whole thing in neutral.)
So it takes a little time for the right gear to get in play, and a bit of kangarooing can be expected before smooth forward motion is achieved.

best way to go to USA and avoid the chaos is through Dublin and the US Preclearance. Everything sorted in Dublin airport and arrive in USA as a domestic passenger and just go straight to bag carousels.
I agree, but I am always hesitant about adding another flight and extra chance of delay or cancellation into the equation.

I agree, but I am always hesitant about adding another flight and extra chance of delay or cancellation into the equation.
I'm thinking about going via Dublin next year. But as these flights are usually in the morning, and you are supposed to arrive 3 hours before, I always stay at a local hotel the night before anyway, so any pre-trans-Atlantic transport delays have a big buffer.

It's extra cost, but more or less eliminates the worry of losing a day or more of the holiday, or even having to hurry, if things don't go smoothly.
Of course, since I've been doing this everything has gone like clockwork :confused3

I'm thinking about going via Dublin next year. But as these flights are usually in the morning, and you are supposed to arrive 3 hours before, I always stay at a local hotel the night before anyway, so any pre-trans-Atlantic transport delays have a big buffer.

It's extra cost, but more or less eliminates the worry of losing a day or more of the holiday, or even having to hurry, if things don't go smoothly.
Of course, since I've been doing this everything has gone like clockwork :confused3
Im hoping that booking for 16 nights rather than 14 makes the Holiday smoother for us the extra 2 days are travel days :)

I got the GP surgery to add my middle name to my records a couple of weeks ago now. She said it actually had my middle initial there already, but filled it out. As the NHS app and my covid certificate had not shown my middle initial either I was not convinced they would now show the name.
Having given it a couple of weeks I checked yesterday and ... no middle name.

So it looks like the system simply doesn't display middle names, in which case it will apply to everyone in England (the other countries' in the UK may be different). It'll be interesting to see how this works tomorrow.

I got the GP surgery to add my middle name to my records a couple of weeks ago now. She said it actually had my middle initial there already, but filled it out. As the NHS app and my covid certificate had not shown my middle initial either I was not convinced they would now show the name.
Having given it a couple of weeks I checked yesterday and ... no middle name.

So it looks like the system simply doesn't display middle names, in which case it will apply to everyone in England (the other countries' in the UK may be different). It'll be interesting to see how this works tomorrow.
There's been loads of talk about the app showing your full name on a few forums I'm on and although people say their middle name shows, you'll normally find it's because they are not viewing it on the main NHS vaccine "page". If you click "More" (top right once logged into the app) - "manage NHS login account" - it displays your full name there.

I requested a paper copy of my and DH's vaccine pass, and it doesn't have our middle names on.
On the app, it shows first name, middle initial, surname.

I'm going to wait for the reports to see how others have got on before I add that to my list of things to be concerned about!

I've noticed that all the media seem to be saying you have to test 3-5 days after arriving in the US. But following a Reuters link took me to the CDC website page:
Non-U.S. citizen, Non-U.S. immigrants: Air Travel to the United States
where it says that for fully vaccinated people this is only "Recommended", not "Required". (Scroll down to the "After Arrival in the United States" section.) Only unvaccinated using an exemption have to test - and quarantine in fact.

If that is so then that will save people a few bucks, and maybe some extra travel and hassle for those without kids. But it's possible that immigration have upped the requirements beyond the CDC's, so check carefully.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter