Two week gluten, dairy, sugar detox...it gets better right

There's nothing wrong with someone choosing to eat a balanced diet. I do urge people to do the exercise that complements your nutrition. If you are eating a ton of protein and fat, you need to be lifting a bunch of heavy weight and moving a bunch to remain healthy.
A balanced diet that does not include toxic sugar or grains. And I am already moving a bunch with a 5-10K walk daily plus circuit training twice a week with my trainer and board certified nutritionist.

A balanced diet that does not include toxic sugar or grains. And I am already moving a bunch with a 5-10K walk daily plus circuit training twice a week with my trainer and board certified nutritionist.

I'm curious as to your definition of toxic sugars and grains. Are you referring to all sugar such as sucrose, maltose, fructose, etc? Are you referring all grains such as wheat, barley, corn, oats, rice, quinoa, etc? Or are you taking in some sugars and some grains?

Your body needs glucose (sugar) to live. It is an important fuel source for your body.

Yes your body needs glucose but that doesn't mean you need to eat sugar especially refined sugar. Your body can convert carbohydrates and other sources into glucose.

I'll admit I eat mainly Paleo but there is no denying that we were hunters and gatherers for thousands of years. The human race survived on meat, vegetables, fruit, nuts, etc.

My diet was prescribed to me and my husband by our medical doctor. He is very much an advocate for whole foods/Paleo diets.

And I feel great they way I am eating. I eat a lot more vegetables and a better variety than I did before. I have lost weight, but more importantly I have much more energy than I did before. Also, my skin looks really good.

A balanced diet that does not include toxic sugar or grains.

First of all, sugar is not toxic.

Second, balanced diets can include sugar and grains.

IMHO, food detox and specialty shakes are simply ways for some people to make lots of money. They are not needed by anyone.

I'm curious as to your definition of toxic sugars and grains. Are you referring to all sugar such as sucrose, maltose, fructose, etc? Are you referring all grains such as wheat, barley, corn, oats, rice, quinoa, etc? Or are you taking in some sugars and some grains?
It is refined or processed sugars or any sucrose. Fructose is allowed but certainly not HFCS.

Also anything with Gluten is not allowed for two weeks. I can have a sweet potato or 1/3 cup of brown rice a day.

Eating whole foods may be a fad (sadly) but it's not a bad one.

Shakes, smoothies, and other items making profit? Sure, those are questionable. But eating clean, whole foods, shouldn't be controversial.

There's nothing wrong with someone choosing to eat a balanced diet. I do urge people to do the exercise that complements your nutrition. If you are eating a ton of protein and fat, you need to be lifting a bunch of heavy weight and moving a bunch to remain healthy.

Agreed. We also did a Whole 30 and were very strict about eliminating ADDED/PROCESSED sugars, grains and dairy. Since finishing we have reintroduced some of those things in moderation but are still mostly grain and dairy free and avoid processed/added sugars and try to stick to honey and the like for sweetening. I'm not sold on the shakes adding benefit, but I find it very hard to believe they do any harm either, so why make an issue of people making choices to try and live healthier? I don't think anyone could seriously contest the fact that whole food from healthy sources is a better way to eat than processed foods. And, I think people don't do a good job always of explaining the fact that we are talking about eliminating added and processed sugars. Obviously, sugar is the fuel our body burns most readily and we must consume it to survive. But, there are many whole foods which contain significant amounts of sugars that are a superior source than most processed forms. I'm always confused by those who want to be critical of how someone else chooses to eat. Nobody is saying that it's a good fit for everyone nor that the typical American diet can't be acceptable for many people, so why denigrate someone who is trying to improve their health in another way?

To the OP, the first few days are definitely the most challenging as you deal with cravings for certain things, but it does ultimately improve. I never had any "carb-flu" effects, but, man, did I want a candy bar!! We've now been eating this way for almost 90 days and I've discovered my tastes have changed dramatically and I enjoy vegetables and fruits far more than I did in the past. I think that's nothing but a good thing. :thumbsup2

IMHO, food detox and specialty shakes are simply ways for some people to make lots of money. They are not needed by anyone.

:thumbsup2
And these "detox" and specialty shake based diets are great way to lose weight quickly, but not a good healthy long term solution. But apparently no one wants to hear that while they're on these diets. The long term success rates of these fad diets is very low for a good reason.

First of all, sugar is not toxic. Second, balanced diets can include sugar and grains. IMHO, food detox and specialty shakes are simply ways for some people to make lots of money. They are not needed by anyone.

I don't buy into food detoxes. I do believe that processed foods in general are not good and people would be better off not eating them.

As for sugar, I only use cane sugar.

As for anyone that wants a detox drink, brew you own kombucha (fermented tea). You do need to use sugar, it's what the organisms in the tea eat.

I am on day two of a gluten, dairy, sugar detox with green shakes and salads and proteins. Today is supposed to be the worst day right? It is normal to feel like you have the flu with a massive headache. I just want to soak in a hot bath. When will this end?

I haven't done this particular WOE but I've done Atkins/low carb. When you cut the processed food, sugar and carbs you also cut a lot of sodium out of your diet. People who are doing Atkins call this Atkins flu. If you drink broth it's supposed to help. There is salt in broth.

It is refined or processed sugars or any sucrose. Fructose is allowed but certainly not HFCS.

Also anything with Gluten is not allowed for two weeks. I can have a sweet potato or 1/3 cup of brown rice a day.

Oh good. I was concerned that when you said no sugars, you meant literally NO sugars - no fruits or certain vegetables. I'm glad you are still getting to eat fruits. Those sugars are good for us, but then I'm guess you know that since you are still eating them. After 2 weeks, will you get to have grains with gluten again?

Stumbled upon this thread for another reason but I wanted to reply to this. Hell yes to the second thing. I'm eight weeks post op from a bariatric surgery and in stage 5 of a six stage plan. Which guess what? Includes grains. Were expected to have some sort of grains/carbohydrates at our meals. And depending on what our fruit/meal intake has been for the day maybe with a snack. So yeah grains and sugars (admittedly in limited amount but since I'm eating a limited amount my sugar intake is small anyway) can be included in a balance diet. Because I can tell you my sugar count on my MyFtinessPal account has never been 0.

On the actual topic of the thread. I never done a detox like this so to speak. But to prep for my surgery I had to spend two weeks on a pretty much all liquid diet consisting of nothing but protein shakes and the occasional protein bar. So yeah I can synthesize. And it does get better. You just have to give it a few days. My main problem was hunger pains (I was getting hungry every couple of hours and since I could only consume so many drinks I had to be careful about my timing).

I agree. Paleo/gluten free is the new "fad" or trend right now. There is always some new "diet" or crazy new regiment. People are always looking for the next big fix to help them with their weight and health problems and hop on the bandwagon. "Oh gee it must be all the sugar and gluten that's been keeping me fat". It's not that the sugar and gluten came in the form of a dozen fried donuts:rotfl:

I don't eliminate foods from my diet for my weight. My weight is great. I eliminate foods because when I eat certain foods my arthritis goes haywire. When I don't I am almost pain free. Discovered it any accident after I had a horrific stomach bug and couldn't eat for about 5 days. Debilitating pain went away.

I find it interesting when people tell others stuff like this. Really, you know about the bodies and reactions of all the people out there

Stumbled upon this thread for another reason but I wanted to reply to this. Hell yes to the second thing. I'm eight weeks post op from a bariatric surgery and in stage 5 of a six stage plan. Which guess what? Includes grains. Were expected to have some sort of grains/carbohydrates at our meals. And depending on what our fruit/meal intake has been for the day maybe with a snack. So yeah grains and sugars (admittedly in limited amount but since I'm eating a limited amount my sugar intake is small anyway) can be included in a balance diet. Because I can tell you my sugar count on my MyFtinessPal account has never been 0.

On the actual topic of the thread. I never done a detox like this so to speak. But to prep for my surgery I had to spend two weeks on a pretty much all liquid diet consisting of nothing but protein shakes and the occasional protein bar. So yeah I can synthesize. And it does get better. You just have to give it a few days. My main problem was hunger pains (I was getting hungry every couple of hours and since I could only consume so many drinks I had to be careful about my timing).

Sugars are not all created equal. White table sugar vs roasted beets are very different. Most people when they talk about ridding their diet of "sugar" mean white and brown including turbinado. It can be included in a balanced diet for most people. Some people feel better without.

When people feel the need to tell others that how they feel is wrong I get just a little irritated.

I am on day two of a gluten, dairy, sugar detox with green shakes and salads and proteins. Today is supposed to be the worst day right? It is normal to feel like you have the flu with a massive headache.

I just want to soak in a hot bath. When will this end?

I agree with by day 3 or 4 you should start to feel better.

Your body converts Carbs into glucose naturally. It does not need it added to 80% of our foods.

Amen! How can anyone reject the idea that added sugars in our diet are not necessary at all. Sugar is toxic, in my opinion, I am a diabetic. This cleanse/detox is a widely accepted one according to my doctor. She does it twice a year. She also drinks lots of water while doing it. OP, my doctor says the water helps move the silt/toxins from your body quickly, reducing the fluish symptoms by length and intensity.

I don't eliminate foods from my diet for my weight. My weight is great. I eliminate foods because when I eat certain foods my arthritis goes haywire.
What foods exactly? My DH was diagnosed and I would love to do more to control it this way than with drugs.

Amen! How can anyone reject the idea that added sugars in our diet are not necessary at all. Sugar is toxic, in my opinion, I am a diabetic. This cleanse/detox is a widely accepted one according to my doctor. She does it twice a year. She also drinks lots of water while doing it. OP, my doctor says the water helps move the silt/toxins from your body quickly, reducing the fluish symptoms by length and intensity.

Sugar, in moderation, is not toxic.

Agreed. We also did a Whole 30 and were very strict about eliminating ADDED/PROCESSED sugars, grains and dairy. Since finishing we have reintroduced some of those things in moderation but are still mostly grain and dairy free and avoid processed/added sugars and try to stick to honey and the like for sweetening. I'm not sold on the shakes adding benefit, but I find it very hard to believe they do any harm either, so why make an issue of people making choices to try and live healthier? I don't think anyone could seriously contest the fact that whole food from healthy sources is a better way to eat than processed foods. And, I think people don't do a good job always of explaining the fact that we are talking about eliminating added and processed sugars. Obviously, sugar is the fuel our body burns most readily and we must consume it to survive. But, there are many whole foods which contain significant amounts of sugars that are a superior source than most processed forms. I'm always confused by those who want to be critical of how someone else chooses to eat. Nobody is saying that it's a good fit for everyone nor that the typical American diet can't be acceptable for many people, so why denigrate someone who is trying to improve their health in another way?

To the OP, the first few days are definitely the most challenging as you deal with cravings for certain things, but it does ultimately improve. I never had any "carb-flu" effects, but, man, did I want a candy bar!! We've now been eating this way for almost 90 days and I've discovered my tastes have changed dramatically and I enjoy vegetables and fruits far more than I did in the past. I think that's nothing but a good thing. :thumbsup2

Yes to this. I don't think the OP was talking about trendy cleanses where you just drink cabbage soup and drink green juice. She is referring to eliminating processes foods and added sugars. Big difference. When I felt lousy I added in extra servings of fruit with a bit more sugar like dates and pineapple and also ones with carbs like bananas. I ate at least one banana a day, sometimes two. We also almost always had a sweet potato during whole30. DH and I lost a good amount of weight and felt good. Since I've been allowing myself small amounts of things something is upsetting my stomach. I need to go back to whole 30 for a week or two and gradually reintroduce a couple things again so I can see what is bothering me.

Yes to this. I don't think the OP was talking about trendy cleanses where you just drink cabbage soup and drink green juice. She is referring to eliminating processes foods and added sugars. Big difference. When I felt lousy I added in extra servings of fruit with a bit more sugar like dates and pineapple and also ones with carbs like bananas. I ate at least one banana a day, sometimes two. We also almost always had a sweet potato during whole30. DH and I lost a good amount of weight and felt good. Since I've been allowing myself small amounts of things something is upsetting my stomach. I need to go back to whole 30 for a week or two and gradually reintroduce a couple things again so I can see what is bothering me.

Yes this is not a radical lifestyle change but a complete removal of toxic added sugar, plus gluten and dairy.

Latest posts

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter