Two week gluten, dairy, sugar detox...it gets better right

It has been fairly random! White flour is a killer, tons of whole grain flour affects it too. (I usually bake with freshly ground, but if I make a batch of bread and go overboard. Ham, and unfortunately almonds:/. I love almonds. They are what has my hands bothering me today. I was out running errands yesterday, starving, and grabbed a handful that I keep in the car for my athletes:/.

I have juvenile arthritis for the record.

I don't think this is any different than peanuts and chocolate causing migraines. It is ignorant t think that what we eat doesn't affect our bodies.

Yes this is not a radical lifestyle change but a complete removal of toxic added sugar, plus gluten and dairy.

Do you understand that these things aren't toxic in the true sense of the word? I'm on whole30 so I get what you're doing but using the word toxic really isn't correct in this context.

Do you understand that these things aren't toxic in the true sense of the word? I'm on whole30 so I get what you're doing but using the word toxic really isn't correct in this context.

I'll help ;)

toxin[ tok-sin ] noun 1. any poison produced by an organism, characterized by antigenicity in certain animals and high molecular weight, and including the bacterial toxins that are the causative agents of tetanus, diphtheria, etc., and such plant and animal toxins as ricin and snake venom.

In other words snake venom is not the same as milk, ricin is not the same as sugar.

I agree that things such as sugar and gluten aren't toxic. You can have a sensitivity to such items but that doesn't mean that they're toxic.

Anything that lights up the brain the same as cocaine? Yep Sugar is indeed toxic to our bodies.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/health/how-toxic-is-sugar-1.1894262

You do understand that sex, exercise, and even charitable giving also activate those regions of the brain? Suppose those are "toxic" too? Perhaps you need a different scientific criteria for what makes something "toxic".

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/the-compass-pleasure/201108/is-your-brain-charitable-giving

You do understand that sex, exercise, and even charitable giving also activate those regions of the brain? Suppose those are "toxic" too? Perhaps you need a different scientific criteria for what makes something "toxic".

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/the-compass-pleasure/201108/is-your-brain-charitable-giving

While I agree with your statement psychology today is like quoting Wikipedia...

As far as the term "toxic" of it is harmful it is toxic. A toxic relationship isn't copperhead venom either. And id say looking at the health and obesity epidemic white sugar and flour have probably contributed to more deaths than most poisons.

In case you didn't realize it toxic is an adjective. Same root if you want to quibble, lol

While I agree with your statement psychology today is like quoting Wikipedia...

As far as the term "toxic" of it is harmful it is toxic. A toxic relationship isn't copperhead venom either. And id say looking at the health and obesity epidemic white sugar and flour have probably contributed to more deaths than most poisons.

In case you didn't realize it toxic is an adjective. Same root if you want to quibble, lol

No, if it is harmful, it is harmful. If you eat too much sugar, it could be harmful. If you eat anthrax, that is toxic. To equate the two is absolutely silly. I'm honestly just quibbling over semantics because I wish people would stop the use of, as another poster called it, fear-mongering. I'm not arguing that sugar is GOOD for you. I'm just saying it's not the poison that people claim if it is ingested in moderation. And gluten, if eaten by someone WITHOUT an allergy, is CERTAINLY not a toxin!

I know that sugar and white flour are not toxic. However, their heavy presence in everything we eat and the fact that they are often heavily processed is a huge problem. Sometimes you have to think in a slightly exaggerated way. That sugar is toxic to me, I won't eat it, in order to win a battle. When you remove these items for 30 days and then introduce them back in you get a better sense of how awful they were making you feel. Many products were pressured to reduce fat and in order to taste good they increased sugar. http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/02/27/its-the-sugar-folks/?_php=true&_type=blogs&_r=0http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/02/26/regulating-our-sugar-habit/

The overuse of use of the poison that is sugar is the number one health crisis in America. As for me I am starting to feel a bit better. One week and a day to go!!!

Sounds like Carb Flu, very common when you go cold turkey. I gave my DD some sugar free energy drinks when she first went Primal. Wouldn't do that now, too much food dye and bad sugar substitutes. But the electrolytes would help.

Do try to feed your good gut bacteria! That's what keeps you healthy, and a really low carb diet can kill it off. Keep the prebiotics and probiotics coming. Tiggeroo describes this type of diet pretty well.

I don't agree that sugar is causing anything. Overuse of sugar might be causing problems but not sugar itself.

Past generations ate sugar regularly and had way fewer health problems and difficulties with obesity. It seems that the more people try to eat certain things and live differently than our forebears the more our health problems increase.

I don't agree that sugar is causing anything. Overuse of sugar might be causing problems but not sugar itself.

Past generations ate sugar regularly and had way fewer health problems and difficulties with obesity. It seems that the more people try to eat certain things and live differently than our forebears the more our health problems increase.

Are you aware that past generations were not eating the same sugar we are eating now, let alone as much? Go to the grocery store and pick up a box or jar of anything. It's hard to find anything prepared without sugar. Of course, you need to know the names of the new sugars.

This is why I don't really talk about how I eat, it tends to make people angry. Most do not want to hear that anyone would choose not to eat bread, pasta, sugar on a regular basis. It's an irrational reaction that kind of seems like an addiction.

Past generations did not eat sugar the way we do. For a long time sugar was a treat. Also, cakes and goodies had to be made from home or bought from a bakery. Not until post WWII did you see the quick and easy junk food that is cheap and readily available. The health problems and weight problems people began to experience led to the low fat mindset which led to mass produced low fat items with more chemicals and sugar in them.
Also, until my children's generation eating out was rare. When I was growing up eating out was a special occasion. Even a McDonald's cheeseburger and fries or pizza was a splurge. Fast food and restaurant food has more sugar and other ingredients in it than what people were traditionally making at home.

Are you aware that past generations were not eating the same sugar we are eating now, let alone as much? Go to the grocery store and pick up a box or jar of anything. It's hard to find anything prepared without sugar. Of course, you need to know the names of the new sugars.

This is why I don't really talk about how I eat, it tends to make people angry. Most do not want to hear that anyone would choose not to eat bread, pasta, sugar on a regular basis. It's an irrational reaction that kind of seems like an addiction.

Yes. I'm not a crazy fanatic. I"d say at this point we are 80% paleo or clean eating. But when we start sliding I feel lousy. I tested negative for a gluten problem and I can state with certainty that it upsets my stomach.

Past generations tended eat differently I agree. Sugar has been found to have the same addictive qualities as Heroin in recent studies. I suspect and this is just a guess, that how it affected people had more to do with other lifestyle choices. I know that while my grandmother cooked with sugar and butter and lard she wasn't also consuming scads of HFCs, and all of the other newfangled additives.

I also agree with your statement about the harder we try. At about the same time science started dissecting the concept of nutrition the nutrition went down and the obesity rate went up. I think that the pendulum goes back and forth. Many seem to feel better after cleansing. Not a new or expensive process. People were doing it in the 70's. If it works or eliminates something that does cause people (or a person) a problem, awesome for them. Stupid lectures and belittling, however, never made anyone any better off. Lol the epitome of the aforementioned toxicity of the people we encounter.

Yes. I'm not a crazy fanatic. I"d say at this point we are 80% paleo or clean eating. But when we start sliding I feel lousy. I tested negative for a gluten problem and I can state with certainty that it upsets my stomach.

This is us as well. We do some treats for special occasions and the like and we don't sweat the small stuff on how something may be prepared when we eat out, but we try to make the best choices we can off the menu. At home we are able to stick with our dietary choices quite easily now that we've adapted. I know I feel good and I don't feel deprived in any way. I enjoy the foods we eat and honestly most of the time don't miss any of the items we've stopped eating. I don't really have any sensitivities per se, but my husband definitely reacts negatively to dairy.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter