Two Nerds Do Disney World - FINAL Update 5/12

Oh my gosh your bunnies are adorable! I have two of my own - the black and white dude in the picture and a beautiful brown girl. Our pre-trip routine also includes dropping off bunnies at my parent's house!

You're not alone on the Croc blisters. I wore mine on a trip to Las Vegas and got a huge blister on the bottom of my foot. That was my time to try out the Crocs before wearing them on our Disney trip. I ended up taking my sneakers to wear most of the time. I'm glad I did the Vegas test.

Has Lumar tried taking Lactaid tablets before eating dairy? My DH carries them with him everywhere and pops one before eating ice cream and even creamy salad dressing. They help him a lot and we don't have so many long bathroom stops! I even carry a couple for him since men can be so forgetful! Enjoying your report!:)

Hey! :wave: LOVE your bunny pic! Glad I'm not the only one who goes through an ordeal with them when going on vacation lol!!

I'm also glad I'm not the only one who had issues with my Crocs! I thought I was defective or something! I'll be bringing sneakers from now on too, I think...

And yes, he does the Lactaid pills and they work really well, but we didn't have any on this trip. He told me he had some, so I didn't buy any and of course when we got there he didn't have any. Next time, I'll remember to not listen to him... :confused3

Sunday 3/3

I got up at 8:45 and jumped in the shower while Lumar went down to Sassagoula to get us some coffee and take out some cash for Mousekeeping. Just as I got out of the shower I heard the door open and I thought it was Lumar – turns out it was Mousekeeping already! What the heck was she doing there at 9am?? I told her to come back in half an hour.

BTW the coffee was TERRIBLE!! :crazy2: When you drink Dunkin Donuts coffee practically every morning and then try to replace it with Nescafe, it kind of makes you never want to drink coffee again. YUCKY!!

We arrived at AK around quarter to 11 and skipped right through Discovery Island into Africa. We got FP’s for the safari with a return time of 12:30.

So because of the Great Coffee Debacle (trust me, it was a debacle!), I forgot about actually EATING this morning. We all know how I get when I haven’t eaten…. So now, I’m mad at myself that I somehow forgot to eat, I’m mad at Lumar for not reminding me, and I was mad at Disney for serving coffee so terrible it made me forget :rolleyes1 And I’m the kind of person that is really not happy eating non-breakfast foods as my first meal of the day so when we came to the conclusion that Pizzafari was our only option (I can’t remember for sure but I think that the Restaurantosaurus wasn’t open yet and I don’t even know if they have breakfast food there…all of the changes they made messed with my head) I was a little perturbed. I really wanted to try and NOT eat here on this trip. Not because I don’t like it, but just because we always eat here and I wanted to try new things.

So anyway, here we are at 11am eating Pizza (me) and a Chicken Parm Sandwich (Lumar). I was too aggravated to take pics. But it’s the same pizza you’ve seen a million times so I’m sure you’re not heartbroken. After I ate, I felt much better about everything and realized that I just lived every child’s dream…to eat pizza for breakfast! :rotfl2:

BTW, eating outside in the morning when everyone is rushing passed this place was actually REALLY nice! There was only one other family there eating and the weather was beautiful so it turned out to be a really great experience….a perfect “vacation” moment. :cutie:

New FP’s were available at 12 so we headed to Asia to get some passes for EE. We literally had to fight our way through a crowd of people all standing around watching the “walking tree” :rotfl2: It really is creepy how she walks on those things but I have to say, it’s something I could never do! Seriously, I wonder how many times a day she gets called a “walking tree” and how she resists the urge to whack the people who say it with one of her limbs? :laughing:

IMG_3141.jpg

Anyhoo…our EE passes had a return time of 3pm so we went back to the safari and made it just at 12:30. Once we got to the part where they split you off to the left of the right, we had to stop and wait but a CM came up to the wheelchair gate, asked for a party of 2 and we got in! PLUS it was one of the handicap-accessible vehicles so we got the front row to ourselves cuz the bench only seats two people! Here’s some pics:

IMG_3157.jpg

IMG_3145.jpg

IMG_3150-1.jpg

IMG_3160-1.jpg

After the safari we went to the Pangani Forest. There were lots of Meerkats out today…not just the one on Lookout Duty:

IMG_3190.jpg

IMG_3196.jpg

And we got a close up a hippo underwater – kinda creepy, but kinda cool at the same time:

IMG_3188.jpg

In case you didn’t know this about me, I am terrified of “open water” type of images. For example, when you watch Finding Nemo and that whale comes out of the darkness….scares the bejesus outta me! I actually had a nightmare one night that Lumar and I went to an aquarium and the new feature exhibit was a “real” ocean so it had this HUGE glass window and the water was all dark and murky and suddenly this whale comes swimming toward me…I started having a panic attack in my sleep! Lumar had to shake me awake because I was breathing so hard, I actually woke him up. I was sweating, shaking, and my heart was pounding. I don’t know why it scares me because I’m not afraid of the animal itself….and when I go to aquariums and they have whales and sharks swimming around in tanks, I’m not afraid at all – I’ll sit and watch them for hours (I’m a fire-sign so water and fish are highly relaxing to me). But this picture of the hippo being in “open water” is somewhat unsettling to me so let’s move on.

We trekked into Dinoland where we once again had the “Party of 2 Luck” at Dinosaur. There was only a 10 minute wait but they pulled us to the front to fill a car that was leaving! :woohooo:

The PP guy took this on our way into Dinoland:
Photopass1-1.jpg

When we got off the ride we took a seat on a bench right next to the giant dinosaur skeleton and once again got lucky cuz Pluto and Goofy came out! Since we were sitting right there, we were 3rd in line!

IMG_3210.jpg

We headed back into Asia, rode EE with our fastpasses, then started the walk through of the Maharaja Jungle Trek. I got a pic of the Komodo Dragon and a pic of the Malayan Tapir, and then one of the worst things that can happen to a camera-happy tourist like myself: My camera beeped and the display said “memory full.” I was so confused because I know I had a 2GB memory card in there…but when I pulled it out, it said 256KB! I brought the wrong card!! We left the trek, and I tried to mess with my camera to see maybe I adjusted the size of the file it was saving, if it would like me take more pictures. We went back in, and I got ONE picture of a tiger and the memory was full again! I was so mad!

IMG_3226.jpg

Our Yak & Yeti ADR wasn’t until 5:30, and here it was 4pm and we had NOTHING to do. We missed the last showing of Finding Nemo and the last Flights of Wonder, it was a nice day but not nice enough (for us anyway) to go on Kali River Rapids, so we sat down and watched the monkeys for a little while (they are so awesome!)

IMG_3219.jpg

then walked over the KRR exit and watched the soaking wet people come around the final turn. Finally at 4:30 we just couldn’t take it anymore. We walked down to Yak & Yeti and asked if we could get in early. The server said we could and said we got there just in time. Within 10 minutes I knew why…The parade was ending and people were flocking in for dinner!

Our server was from CT, only about 20 minutes from where we live, so we chatted with him for a few minutes. We both had the Everest Avalanche (a tall frozen fruity alcoholic drink that doesn’t even taste alcoholic) – SO GOOD! Lumar had the Sweet & Sour Chicken and I had the Crispy Honey Chicken. Everything was really good! I was glad we came here to eat and we’ll definitely come back. IMO, the Honey Chicken could use a little “kick”…just a little bit to spice it up, but it was still very tasty. We also had the Sorbet for dessert. I swear, I really was going to take pics of our meals but with no available space on my memory card I couldn’t. I asked Lumar if he thought I’d be able to find one on WDW property somewhere – he said I probably could but they’d charge me an arm and a leg. I temporarily considered calling my mom and having her overnight my other card but I couldn’t remember where it was….I swore it was in my camera, still sitting there from our October trip….

We left AK around 6pm and when we got back to FQ, I stopped in Jackson Square to pick up some socks (maybe I could wear my Crocs tomorrow to DHS?) We got all the way back to the room and I realized I forgot to check with the CM’s to see if they have memory cards! We stayed in the room and watch TV a while and at 8pm we went back downstairs to grab a snack from Sassagoula, and a memory card from Jackson Square. They only had 1GB cards, and they were $30 but it wasn’t as much as I was expecting them to charge and I was desperate so I got one.

On our way back to the room, we were both just kind of taking in the scenery and the feel of the resort. Suddenly Lumar says to me “Is that a horse??” Him speaking brought me back to reality and I realized that I was, in fact, hearing a horse clonking along behind us. We both turned around and one of the horse drawn resort carriages was like 2 feet behind us! We moved to the side of the road, but I wondered, was the driver ever going to ask us to move or was she just going to let the horse trample us?

I checked the weather before we went to bed, as I had been tracking that big storm in the Midwest, and they predicted thunderstorms for Tuesday, Thursday, Friday, and Saturday! I hope they’re wrong!!

Since I didn’t have my PP CD available at the time, here is one of our PP pics from Epcot on Saturday:

Photopass1.jpg

2 in the party mojo....nice:thumbsup2

Seems like you had a great day!!! Other than the camera...:sad2:

You got some great pix. I've never seen an alligator swimming in the water on KS or a hippo underwater........good get.

The great coffee Debacle for sure. When i pass that Starbucks at the airport, that's the last cofee I will have on my vacation......

great pics. :thumbsup2

the coffee is a problem down there. is it hard to get a dunkin donuts in there. not even a store, just the coffee.

seems like a nice day.

love the pic of you two with EE behind you

I must agree with the coffee issue at Disney, how could a place like that have the worst coffee in the country?? We are bringing our own supplies from home so we can make Dunkin Donuts coffee in the room. At least we can start out day with one good cup.

Love your trip report, ready for more.

Dunkin Donuts coffee is huge out East. I had never even tried it as out west everyone drinks Starbucks.

However, I did try it a year ago and thought it was fantastic. Now the wife orders it and we grind it ourselves. It IS very gud. :thumbsup2

That Disney NesCafe sux! :mad:
'
I saw the "walking tree" for the first time in October. For some reason, I was a little "creeped out" by her. :scared:

Yeah, that Finding Nemo is worse than the Texas Chainsaw Massacre. :rotfl2:

There is nothing wrong with Pizza for breakfast. :snooty:

Love those Kali Monkeys. :hug:

It's hard to find a 1GB card anymore. I just purchased a 16GB for my camera. I like it! That wasn't a bad price though. About double what they are at buy.com.

A few years ago, my mom actually managed to fall (partially) through the floor so her lower half was dangling from the ceiling of her bedroom. It's hilarious to imagine and she didn't get too hurt, but there was a gaping hole in her ceiling for several weeks until someone could come out to fix it.
:rotfl: :rotfl2: :rotfl:
This happened to me when I was a kid. I came through the kitchen ceiling onto the fridge.:lmao:
I'm looking forward to reading more:yay: :cool1:

Sunday 3/2
When we got off of that, we went over to Buzz which had a 10 minute wait. Neither one of us is very good at this game, but we don’t have a lot practice. Lumar stilled whooped me: 62,600 to 18,100. :guilty:

We were there last week and rode Buzz. The ride stopped half-way through and so I racked up over 117,000 pts. Hey, take 'em any way you can, right.

jordanyosh said:
2 in the party mojo....nice:thumbsup2
Seems like you had a great day!!! Other than the camera... :sad2:
You got some great pix. I've never seen an alligator swimming in the water on KS or a hippo underwater........good get.
The great coffee Debacle for sure. When i pass that Starbucks at the airport, that's the last cofee I will have on my vacation......

-Yeah we at least had the "Party of 2" thing going for us!
-I never saw one actually in the water either and to be honest, I didn't realize it was even there until I looked at the picture on my computer after we got home. The hippo was a surprise too- they are usually too far off in the distance to get a good pic.
-Seriously, I'm going to start bringing ground D & D with me....I found myself eating chocolate cookies from the bakery at Sassagoula at 8am just to get SOME kind of a jolt! :hyper:

scottny said:
great pics. :thumbsup2
the coffee is a problem down there. is it hard to get a dunkin donuts in there. not even a store, just the coffee.
seems like a nice day.
love the pic of you two with EE behind you

-Thanks! Some of the ones from the Safari came out blurry and I didn't realize it til we got home so I was kind of upset...I really need to read the manual and figure out how to get some good "motion" shots...
Seriously! With the amount of money they take in annually, you would think they could spring for some decent coffee! :confused3
-It was a GORGEOUS day and we had a fun - it was nice to not have anything to do!
-That is like my favorite pic from this trip! Those PP CM's are getting good!

Disney Fan Katt said:
I must agree with the coffee issue at Disney, how could a place like that have the worst coffee in the country?? We are bringing our own supplies from home so we can make Dunkin Donuts coffee in the room. At least we can start out day with one good cup.
Love your trip report, ready for more.

Glad you're enjoying my rants! :rotfl2:

Montana Disney Fan said:
Dunkin Donuts coffee is huge out East. I had never even tried it as out west everyone drinks Starbucks.
However, I did try it a year ago and thought it was fantastic. Now the wife orders it and we grind it ourselves. It IS very gud. :thumbsup2
That Disney NesCafe sux! :mad:
I saw the "walking tree" for the first time in October. For some reason, I was a little "creeped out" by her. :scared:
Yeah, that Finding Nemo is worse than the Texas Chainsaw Massacre. :rotfl2:
There is nothing wrong with Pizza for breakfast. :snooty:
Love those Kali Monkeys. :hug:
It's hard to find a 1GB card anymore. I just purchased a 16GB for my camera. I like it! That wasn't a bad price though. About double what they are at buy.com.

-I've actually never had Starbucks before...my sister drinks it, but there isn't one any where near my house or my job so it's out of the way for me to get one...whereas D & D is located approximately every 2 blocks or so... :lmao:
-Devine IS creepy the way she walks! I swear I don't know how she does it! Whenever she is out and about we take the "secret path" and go around her -
Creepy walking + Big Crowds = Not Gud :sad2:
-We liked the Finding Nemo show but it's not something we really NEED to watch again...if we realized we were going to run out of camera memory and not have anything to do, we would have gone to see it to kill some time....
-Yes you're right...pizza for breakfast is not bad...I just prefer french toast and eggs :love:
-I love the monkeys too...we literally sat there for half an hour just watching the baby try and copy what the adults were doing. Too cute...he fell into the shubbery a couple times and his mom had to go rescue him.
-I couldn't believe they had a 1G card - I was pretty sure I was going to end up with another 2G, which wouldn't have been bad but I was worried about the price...especially on property where they know you don't have a choice...when you're desperate, you'll pay just about anything. But it ended up not being so bad.

natcat said:
:rotfl: :rotfl2: :rotfl:
This happened to me when I was a kid. I came through the kitchen ceiling onto the fridge.:lmao:
I'm looking forward to reading more:yay: :cool1:

:rotfl2: My sister sat down on the toilet upstairs once and the thing fell through the kitchen ceiling...not all the way but enough to cause trauma to the kitchen ceiling, bathroom floor, and my sister! :lmao:

CapnSparrow said:
We were there last week and rode Buzz. The ride stopped half-way through and so I racked up over 117,000 pts. Hey, take 'em any way you can, right.

that never happens to us! We always get stuck on things like the TTA and Splash, but never on Space Ranger Spin :confused3

The "party of 2 thing worked really well for us in DLR too!

Tuesday 3/4

We got up this morning and decided to eat breakfast at Sassagoula since we were headed to DHS and there really isn’t anything breakfasty there. We only had to wait about 5 minutes for a DHS bus and when we arrived, the first thing we did was head to RnRC and ToT. Ok, so the wait for ToT said 10 minutes and we figured we would do that in the Stand-By line so we went to get FP’s for the Coaster instead, which had a stand by wait of 40 minutes.

By the time we got our FP’s and got back to ToT, the wait was now also 40 minutes! So we decided to wait until we could get new FP’s and ride later. We went back towards The Hat and picked up some mystery pin packs at the little cart next to Starring Rolls, then sat down on a bench to open them. While we were sitting there, opening pins and singing along to the High School Musical thing, a PP Photographer came up to us and said “do you guys want to have some fun?”

Lumar immediately said yes…I, on the other hand, said “that depends on your idea of fun…” The photographer laughed…I didn’t. I wanted to know what I was getting myself into before committing to anything. So he hands Lumar a HSM basketball and me a couple of red and white pom-poms, tells us how to pose and this was the result:

photopass3.jpg

There was also one where he made us kiss but who wants to see that? OMG ew! :scared: I don’t really care for this pic but Lumar likes it so whatever.

When we went back to ride RnRC, the wait for ToT was 20 minutes. I told Lumar to go get FP’s anyway, just in case. We rode RnRC, went back to ToT and the wait was ZERO! :eek: We walked through the queue, ALONE, and got ride into the library on the right.
When we got off, the sign said 5 minutes so we rode again, and then gave our FP’s to someone else when we exited. The return time was for like an hour later so he had some time to wait for the line to get long again, which I’m sure it did.

We stopped at a little table next to ABC Commissary…I got a Mickey Ice Cream Sandwich and a bottle of water (FOR FREE!!! :woohoo: ) from the little cart. I tried to pay the CM with my card but her system froze and she couldn’t ring it up so she just told me to take it. That was so nice of her! And they tasted better because I didn’t have to pay for them! Lumar made a pit stop (for 20 minutes) and I called Brandee the Bunny-Sitter to find out how my childrens were doing and to talk about what was happening back in boring old CT.

The next thing we did was get FP’s for Star Tours then we went to Mama Melrose’s where we had an ADR. FINALLY I HAVE PICS!!! We ordered the Artisan Bread Plate for an appetizer:

IMG_3228.jpg

I had the Chicken Parmesan:
IMG_3229.jpg

And Lumar had the Grilled Chicken Flatbread:

IMG_3230.jpg

Lumar and I split our meals and half and shared so I have half of his and he had half of mine. Everything was very good, fresh, and really felt “homemade”…plus the server was really nice and if we asked him something, he brought right out. We never had to ask for refills on our drinks because he was there to take care of it before we even realized we needed him. Although he kind of left us hanging when we were ready for the bill…we had to wait like 10 minutes after we were done eating before we saw him again but it was OK. We weren’t in a rush to go anywhere.

After lunch, we went back to Star Tours and then watched the Stars & Motorcars Parade. I thought that they were starting the new Block Party Bash for the new year? Guess not….:confused3 We had a terrible parade viewing spot and I swear they used the “CM’s who don’t really look the part but everyone else is unavailable and we don’t have a choice so suit-up” type of people…at least IMO. Not to say that said people aren’t attractive, just not right for the characters they are portraying. Maybe I’m just spoiled because I’ve seen so many good ones in the past…

Apparently Aladdin is a white kid, and no offense, but I have seen this Jasmine before and she just looks too old for the part. She reminds me of Joan Rivers. Does anyone else think so or am I just being mean??

IMG_3251.jpg

Mulan was OK:

IMG_3245.jpg

I don’t know what’s going on with Ariel here…She looks like she’s hailing a cab.

IMG_3259.jpg

So after the parade we went to see Muppet Vision and a few minutes after we got out of there it started to rain!! Thankfully there was no thunder or lightning, just rain. WE sat under the hat for a few minutes then went to the Animation Studio. Of course, 8 bajillion people also ran here for shelter but I remembered a very important lesson on this trip which was that you can still get into the drawing class without having to sit through the Mushu show. So we headed in and got to draw Mickey this time. All I can say is Lumar’s was pretty good…mine looked deranged or like Mickey was stoned or something…he had a big head and big eyes but little ears….it was just bad.

By the time we left the class the rain had stopped. It was about 4pm and we still while before we had to line up for Fantasmic so we walked through some of the stores and I picked up some birthday presents for Lumar, then we watched one of those little shows that happen randomly. It was funny, I like watching the improv between the CM’s and the guests.

Finally at 5:30 we made it back to the Hollywood Hills Amphitheater and I really wanted to get a good seat this time since I was stuck behind a pole in October. We headed into the theater, stood in line to get Lumar a churro, and then got seated in the Mickey section – right smack in the middle! It was awesome, definitely the best seats ever!

I thought this was kinda cool:

IMG_3289.jpg

This one is kinda blurry but not too terrible:

IMG_3305.jpg

And this one was pretty awesome:

IMG_3299.jpg

Maybe they used Steve from Full House? :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

I must remember that PP picture for August.

Those parade CMs look a little worse for the wear...:confused3

Great day at the "new" DHS.........;)

The Chicken Parm looks great.....

Great trip report. I'm hooked.

Mystery Pin Packs - so you can buy them in MK and MGM? How many pins are in each? What is the cost? I have never seen these!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter