Tweens and hair color

I

I am in the U.K. and the majority of schools here forbid children from colouring their hair, as part of the school uniform dress code. Maybe your niece could try something that washes out after a few washes during the next school holiday?
Why do they do that? Is there an explanation given by the schools?
Absolutely not. I would not allow my child to color their hair until they are 18, same with piercings other than ears but for ears they need to be 12.

Too many chemicals and I want my child to know they are beautiful the way God made them. Self expression comes through creating art and choosing clothing, not through body modification. It is fine for others to have differing opinions, but as for my family this is not something we do.
I'm also confused why ear piercing is okay, but other things aren't? Are there guidelines for clothing? What if the art expression is on the body, something temporary like gel pens, or a henna tattoo?

Depending on how dark her natural hair color is, dying it blonde could be a huge, expensive, time consuming endeavor and the longer she keeps it blonde the harder it will be to maintain because of the accumulating damage. Demi-permanent color is totally fine if her hair is light enough naturally to be able to see it and she is willing to try a non traditional color. Funny, but my tween and I were just talking about doing it. My daughter is blonde and she wants to go pink, my hair is brown and I really want to try turquoise, but my hair is dark enough that I'm concerned it won't show.

Why do they do that? Is there an explanation given by the schools?

I'm also confused why ear piercing is okay, but other things aren't? Are there guidelines for clothing? What if the art expression is on the body, something temporary like gel pens, or a henna tattoo?
It is a very common rule in schools. Especially among schools with uniform dress policies. They will often include piercings rules too. It’s never made sense to me. Like it makes one bit of difference to learning.
The middle school here had a uniform dress policy when it first opened. Neither elementary school does, nor does the high school. They’ve since dropped it though. Seeing how it’s in the same building as the high school I never could figure out why they’d put it on part of the students in the same facility. It was just stupid

Thank you all so much for your perspective. Some people expressed concern that I would do something without her parents. This would never occur. She and I are very close, but at no time would I ever counter a decision her parents had made. She is the only girl of the six kids, and as DH and I do not have kids, she and I get to spend more time together than if she had a sister. I love my nephews, but my relationship with her is different. She does sometimes talk to me about things to help her find the words to talk to her parents.

That being said, we did sit down with my SIL and decided she can get her hair colored for her 13th birthday in October. That will be my gift to her. That will give her time to decide what she really wants. I will take her to a salon as I want to make sure it is done well and does not damage her hair.

I agree with everyone that said semi-permanent or a gloss treatment. There is no upkeep like there is with permanent dye. If it gives her confidence walking in to the classroom I say go for it. I know young girls are so sensitive about their looks now because social media influence. Nothing we ever had to deal with.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter