Turkey Burgers

PollyannaMom

I was a click-clack champ!!
Question of the day - how do ensure that turkey burgers don't fall apart on the grill?

And before anyone says "just don't make them, burgers are made with beef" - we are making those too, as well as hot dogs, but a couple of people prefer turkey, and I want to try.

So, if you've had success making them, please share!

(If you don't happen to like turkey burgers, please don't judge.)

Last edited:
I can't remember ever having that problem. We mostly buy pre-formed, or I make a "Santa Fe" style burger with ground turkey. It does help to brush both sides with olive oil before grilling so that they don't stick though - that might help.

Last edited:
I also hesitate to post anything recipe-wise because there will always be someone who comes along to say, "Ew. That's so gross!" or "That's not how it's supposed to be cooked!"

However, DH makes turkey burgers that are really good & stay together & don't stick. He mixes ground turkey, black beans, diced bell pepper, diced onion, a little bit of diced jalapeno, & some buttermilk into patties. He may throw an egg in as well. (Also, if I'm remembering correctly, he drains & then puts the black beans into a veggie chopper for a couple of pulses.)

They're great served w/ guacamole & spicy mustard for condiments.

Turkey Burgers? What's next? Ketchup on your hot dog?

Get the less expensive grind. You will find it's about 85-15 or so. Plenty enough not to break apart if you don't try to flip it and flip it and flip it. Just make sure you oil your grate or brush some on your burger to prevent sticking. Do not use extra virgin olive oil for this purpose. Its smoke point is too low. Standard olive oil or some other oil.
Remember this is turkey, not beef. You have to cook it to turkey temp.
And if you have the more expensive grind with less fat, you can add a bit of oil and egg to it.

That's what my "neighbor" that cooks turkey burgers tells me.

Last edited:
I'm sorry! I read the post too quickly and didn't realize you'd like recipes. I have recipes for both "Grilled Santa Fe Burgers", and "Turkey Burgers with Spicy Pickle Sauce". We really love both and I'd be happy to share if you're interested in either.

I won't give my own personal opinion on Turkey Burgers.
I will say this.... if one is buying lean turkey, to cut back on the calories and fat, then THIS is the problem.
One would have to have enough fat in the ground meat to act as a binder.
So, catch 22.
Perhaps making a recipe that adds egg, oil, etc.. would hold up better on the grill?

I'm sorry! I read the post too quickly and didn't realize you'd like recipes. I have recipes for both "Grilled Santa Fe Burgers", and "Turkey Burgers with Spicy Pickle Sauce". We really love both and I'd be happy to share if you're interested in either.

General tips or specific recipes - any help is appreciated!

Thanks, everyone, for the replies so far!

My favorite: Grilled Santa Fe Burgers

1 lb. Lean Turkey
1 C. 4 Cheese Mexican Blend, Divided
1/2 C. Salsa, Divided (Whatever you like. We use Newman's Medium)
1/4 C. Crushed Tortilla Chips
1/4 C. Thinly Sliced Green Onion
1 tsp. Chili Powder (we use "hot")
1/2 tsp. Garlic Salt

1. In medium bowl combine meat, 3/4 C. of the cheese, 1/4 C. of the salsa, chips, onion, chili powder, and garlic salt. Mix lightly, but thoroughly. Shape into 4 patties, 1/4 inch thick. (About 4 inches in diameter.)
2. Brush both sides of burgers with olive oil, and grill until internal temp. reaches 160 degrees. (When rack is 5-6 inches from heat, about 5 minutes per side.)
3. Serve with remaining salsa and cheese, lettuce and tomato.

Bah, forget the naysayers...turkey burgers are delicious! Do make sure that when you go to grill that it's well-oiled and hot. Don't mess with them too much either, more handling equals more breakage. If you are using ground turkey breast, then you need to add some fat and brushing them with just a bit of oil will help keep them together.

I make ranch turkey burgers. So easy! Just add a big dollop, (about 1-1/2 Tbs,) of low fat ranch dressing and a a tablespoon of quick cooking oatmeal for each burger. So if you are making 8 burgers, add 12 Tbs of dressing & 8 Tbs of oatmeal. Also add some ground black pepper. Optional: add some grated Parmesan cheese (about a teaspoon per burger.)

Brush each side with a bit of oil.

The burgers will be really on the mushy side while mixing and forming burgers. That's right. (I form them in a plastic sandwich bag.) Also while forming, put a little depression in the center. These burgers tend to puff up in the center while cooking. The depression makes them cook more evenly, not be raw in the center, and lay flat in the bun.

Turkey burgers and ground chicken burgers don't have a lot of fat to them. That's why they fall apart and end up really dry after cooking. So you WANT the added liquid from the ranch dressing. As they cook, they will stay together. Yet, be careful while flipping. They still can fall apart. Flip only ONCE. People who man the grill, particularly men, (according to chef, Bobby Flay,) like to keep flipping the burgers over and over and over. And they like to press the burgers down with the spatula while cooking. They think that's what they are supposed to do to "barbecue." No, it just makes them feel busy and it just makes the burgers dried out as they squeeze all the juices out.

Last edited:
Turkey Burgers With Spicy Pickle Sauce

1/2 C. Fat-Free Plain Yogurt
1/2 C. Chopped Dill Pickles
2 Tbsp. Chopped Pickled Hot Peppers
Kosher Salt and Freshly Ground Black Pepper

2 1/4 lbs. Lean Ground Turkey
1 tsp. Smoked Sweet Paprika

Lettuce, Red Onion, and Tomatoes For Serving

1. In a medium bowl, mix the yogurt with the dill pickles and hot peppers and season with salt and pepper.
2. In a large bowl, gently knead the turkey with the paprika and 1 1/2 tsps. of salt. Form meat into 6 patties, about 3/4 inch thick. Brush both sides of the patties with olive oil and season lightly with salt and pepper. Grill the patties over moderately high heat, turning once or twice, until cooked through and they reach an internal temp. of 160 degrees - about 12 minutes.
3. Serve with the pickle sauce, lettuce, onions and tomatoes.

Make Ahead Tip: The Pickle Sauce Can Be Refrigerated Overnight

Actually, I always make both of these types of turkey burgers the night before. Just make sure to put a layer of wax paper on the plate and between layers of burgers.

I make ranch turkey burgers. So easy! Just add a big dollop, (about 1-1/2 Tbs,) of low fat ranch dressing and a a tablespoon of quick cooking oatmeal for each burger. So if you are making 8 burgers, add 12 Tbs of dressing & 8 Tbs of oatmeal. Also add some ground black pepper. Optional: add some grated Parmesan cheese (about a teaspoon per burger.)

Brush each side with a bit of oil.

The burgers will be really on the mushy side while mixing and forming burgers. That's right. (I form them in a plastic sandwich bag.) Also while forming, put a little depression in the center. These burgers tend to puff up win the center while cooking. The depression makes them cook more evenly, not be raw in the center, and lay flat in the bun.

Turkey burgers and ground chicken burgers don't have a lot of fat to them. That's why they fall apart and end up really dry after cooking. So you WANT the added liquid from the ranch dressing. As they cook, they will stay together. Yet, be careful while flipping. They still can fall apart. Flip only ONCE. People who man the grill, particularly men, (according to chef, Bobby Flay,) like to keep flipping the burgers over and over and over. And they like to press the burgers down with the spatula while cooking. They think that's what they are supposed to do to "barbecue." No, it just makes them feel busy and it just makes the burgers dried out as they squeeze all the juices out.

I like the Ranch Dressing idea - is the oatmeal just to help hold them together?

I can't remember ever having that problem. We mostly buy pre-formed, or I make a "Santa Fe" style burger with ground turkey. It does help to brush both sides with olive oil before grilling so that they don't stick though - that might help.

I ended up buying the pre-formed too, because they were on sale when I got to the grocery store, and cheaper than the ingredients! (But I'll file the Santa Fe recipe for another time!)

Anyway, the olive oil trick worked - thanks to all who suggested it!! The burgers were a major hit.

I'm glad they came out well for you! (The Santa Fe burgers really are very good :).)

I had a few disasters and usually just buy preformed now. There is a great turkey burger that we get a costco - I can tell you what the container looks like but have no clue what they're called :laughing:

I like the Ranch Dressing idea - is the oatmeal just to help hold them together?

Actually, it's just to add a little hidden, much needed fiber to our diets. :lmao:And it does add a little texture to the burgers. Don't add so much that you can really notice the oatmeal. And it is really optional. I've run out of oatmeal and have made it. I notice the slight difference in texture, but doesn't change the taste or the burger holding together.

I buy the highest fat I can, and season them largely the same way as beef - worchestershire, soy sauce, s, p, garlic, onion, roll them in olive oil and often a butter when grilling. I like them with swiss and Onions/mushrooms. That said, I eat them for variance, not as a lower cal solution.

I make ranch turkey burgers. So easy! Just add a big dollop, (about 1-1/2 Tbs,) of low fat ranch dressing and a a tablespoon of quick cooking oatmeal for each burger. So if you are making 8 burgers, add 12 Tbs of dressing & 8 Tbs of oatmeal. Also add some ground black pepper.

BTW, I have also substituted bleu cheese dressing for the ranch dressing. Same amount would be added instead of the ranch dressing. To the bleu cheese dressing, add 2-3 drops of Worcestershire sauce. It's optional, but it adds a "bottom note", making the flavor have more depth. In my unscientific opinion, when people say they don't like turkey burgers, it's probably because they want flavors & texture that have the same depth & texture as a beef burger. IMO, the Worcestershire sauce & and the added oatmeal do both.

However, if you are serving a group of people, know that Worcestershire sauce is made from anchovies (fish.) So you may want to warn the group, in case anyone has fish allergies. @ronandannette mentioned it in another thread that she has a fish allergy and Worcestershire sauce is one of those hidden things people add to foods and don't realize it's made from fish, to warn the eaters. Again, it's optional and you can leave it out.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter