Trying to pick a use year

moreisgood

Falling in love
I'm thinking of buying points in 2 resorts, and alternating resorts, through banking/borrowing. I just can't decide which use year to chose. I see options in February, June, and December.

We hope to usually go for Christmas, in the early part of December (the least number of points.). However, we could see ourselves sometimes going from mid-June to mid-August. And perhaps, in the spring. I don't think we'd ever go in September & October, because of school/activity start-ups.

I know the concern for UY is cancellation, and the ability to reuse those points, since they can't be banked or transferred, and expire at the end of the UY. And with those points from a cancellation, you can only make a reservation 30 days out, so you'll likely end up at SSR.

So, in order of best to worst choice, what UY should I chose between February, June and December? Thank you!!!

And with those points from a cancellation, you can only make a reservation 30 days out, so you'll likely end up at SSR.

to clarify: if you cancel within a month of arrival date, your pts go into holding status and can only be used to book 60 days out.

if you cancel 35 days out (for example) and are still within your banking window, you can bank "current" UY pts in the reservation forward to the next UY. traveling early in your UY gives you a lot more options.

if you tend to avoid nov trips also, i'd vote for a dec UY. but no UY month covers every date...

to clarify: if you cancel within a month of arrival date, your pts go into holding status and can only be used to book 60 days out.

if you cancel 35 days out (for example) and are still within your banking window, you can bank "current" UY pts in the reservation forward to the next UY. traveling early in your UY gives you a lot more options.

if you tend to avoid nov trips also, i'd vote for a dec UY. but no UY month covers every date...
I think we'd likely go November or December. Or summertime.

I didn't realize that you could "bank" cancellation points to the next year. And the banking window is months before the last day of the UY, is that correct? So, would you need to bank by Dec. 31st for a June use year?

I think we'd likely go November or December. Or summertime.

I didn't realize that you could "bank" cancellation points to the next year. And the banking window is months before the last day of the UY, is that correct? So, would you need to bank by Dec. 31st for a June use year?

That's the whole point of choosing the correct UY. What 8 month period are you most likely to vacation?

You should also know that Disney can and has changed the points required for any given date. They can raise Christmas and lower the same number of points somewhere else.

:earsboy: Bill

That's the whole point of choosing the correct UY. What 8 month period are you most likely to vacation?

You should also know that Disney can and has changed the points required for any given date. They can raise Christmas and lower the same number of points somewhere else.

We wouldn't go on Christmas week. it's crazy high cost and busy then!

Picking that 8 months is difficult! So, you'd want the first of the 8 months to be your use year ideally?

Picking that 8 months is difficult! So, you'd want the first of the 8 months to be your use year ideally?

Yes. But if you foresee yourself going at different times, and really have only a few months that are not on your list, there isn't going to be any UY that covers them all..since late November is a possibility, then I'd stay away from a Dec UY. Of the ones you mention, I'd probably go with Feb UY.

The best you can do is pick the 8 months that covers your most popular dates. Feb UY would cover Feb through Sept. April would cover through Nov.

Remember the UY choice only comes into play should you have to cancel your vacation and you can bank your points to save them. That has happened to us twice during our ownership. IMO it's free insurance.

We took a slightly different approach as we don't really have a 4 month period I would say we are significantly less likely to travel. However we do have dates by when we will know when we can travel and make our plans. I wanted a bank date that fell after when I would know for sure our kids schedules for summer sports and the following school year. Looking at it that ways it was a July bank date (dec UY) that I could feel very comfortable with. Even though it could be risky for a later summer or fall trip, I felt that for us, it best mitigated risk.

It's been perfect so far!

But if I had a high point trip in the last 4 months of my UY I'd be more likely to buy trip insurance lol.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter