Trying to pick a resort

waughzoo

Earning My Ears
I am looking for some friendly advice. We have been to Disney World with our two children (ages 10 and 8) three times. We have stayed at the Wilderness Lodge, Polynesian, and Beach Club. We did not plan on returning this summer, but the new discount rates has turned it into a possible destination. Based on initial pricing we are looking at three resorts for five nights. Here are the room costs...nothing else.

Boardwalk - $1516 (standard room)
Animal Kingdom - $1138 (standard room)
POR - $882 (standard room)
POR - $995 (preferred room)

I will add that we likely will NOT do the DDP. But if we do, it would the counter service plan. I cannot see my 10 year old eating $56 a day worth of food. We have enjoyed trying a different resort on our previous trips. So we are open to something new.

Given that you're traveling with kids, I recommend Boardwalk first and foremost. It has a nice atmosphere and, as I'm sure you remember from Beach Club, is in good proximity to two of the parks.

Animal Kingdom has kind of a lousy location as far as distance to all but one park, but the theme and decor cannot be beat! Not to mention the ability to walk around and see animals on the savannah.

I've heard good things about POR though. If you're looking to save the extra cash, I wouldn't shy away from it.

Which park(s) do you plan to go to the most often?

As the PP mentioned, AKL has among the best theme and atmosphere, but it's not really convenient to any park except AK. I loved the look of the rooms, but getting to the parks took some time. The pool area is really neat looking and with all the animals around the resort, there is lots to do.

I've also stayed at the Boardwalk because my family's favorite park is Epcot. It's nice to be able to walk to Epcot and be there in 5-10 minutes (depending on how fast you walk). Being so close made it easy to just "pop" in and do one or two rides at the end of the evening or pick-up desserts at Les Halles. The pool at BW is only okay (I'm not a fan of clowns, so it kind of creeps me out).

I've not stayed at the POR. I've visited and like the look of the resort.

The BWI has the benefit of easy walk/boat transportation to both Epcot and DHS. Since you're stayed at the BC, you know that it's a plus.

AKL is an amazingly themed resort with lots of kids activities, a great atmosphere, and of course, the animals. It uses buses to get to all the parks but doesn't share them (except with AKL DVC) so the bus transportation from AKL is better IMO than that from the Epcot or MK resorts. The rooms are a bit smaller than the BC/BW rooms if that makes a difference. AKL is more remote than most WDW deluxes, but we kind of like it that way since we feel like we leave the hustle and bustle of the parks when we stay at AKL.

Haven't tried POR, so I won't comment on it, except to say that my family prefers the "hotel" setup of the deluxes to the "motel" design of the mods.;)

I have been to POR and loved it. We are going back this Aug. We stayed in the preferred rooms, it was less than 2 minutes to the pool, bus stop and main building. I felt it was well worth the extra money. POR has gorgeous grounds, a very nice food court and the Yeehaw Bob show in the lounge was so much fun! we never waited more than 10 minutes for the bus and the boat ride to DTD was very relaxing. I can't find anything negative to say.

I can only comment on POR. We love it there. We don't bother with the preferred room, but do get a garden view. We request Magnolia Terrace and it's a great location to the main pool and buildings.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter