Trying to be mature & convince myself that I can stay off site...

You will never stay onsite and say " Man I wish I stayed off site "
Maybe. Maybe not. I say this a lot, but it bears repeating.

There are three things someone might want in WDW vacation lodging:
  1. To stay on site.
  2. To have a reasonable amount of space.
  3. To spend a reasonable amount of money.
For most people, and most definitions of "reasonable", it is impossible to do all three at the same time. Instead, you have to decide which of the three (if any) are non-negotiable, and which you are most willing to live without.

When my kids were still in the house, #2 was non-negotiable. We insisted on having a lockable door between the kids and the parents, because it was our vacation too. Earlier in our lives together, when money was tighter, #1 was the thing we were most willing to live without.

Over time, we learned that for us, the difference between staying onsite and offsite wasn't usually a big deal. The vacations had much more in common than they had differences. Partly that's because we always rent a car, and we tended to drive ourselves to most places not named Magic Kingdom even when staying onsite. We also learned that Disney is a downright average hotelier/timeshare developer, as there are many many properties as nice or nicer within a stone's throw of WDW borders, and they usually cost much less.

It sounds as though the OP has not yet tried an offsite stay. This is one of those things that you won't know how you feel about it until you try it. Some people hate being offsite, and swear they will never do it again. Other people find it is a much better value than anything Disney can offer. I think most people end up somewhere in the middle.

I missed the OP's last post; they have tried it. Based on that, I'd recommend some other "resort-style" development nearest the WDW borders. Examples would include any of the Marriott Palms just to the East of Epcot, or Silver Lake just down the road from AK/AKL.

OP, You said you haven't been in a few years, so my take on this is that you should definitely stay onsite. I think the suite + room at AoA is a great option for you and you realize that AoA now has the Skyliner, which is a big plus.

I'm an onsite-only person, so please take my advice with that in mind. I don't like being out of the bubble and in your case, with 7 people, being onsite will make it so much easier for anyone who wants to go back to the resort or park hop (if you have hoppers). And the convenience of the QS food at your resort can't be overstated.

Maybe you'll get lucky and a discount will appear for your intended dates. There have been scant discounts, but they have cropped up here and there, so stay tuned for their next arrival.

And have a great trip!

OP, You said you haven't been in a few years, so my take on this is that you should definitely stay onsite. I think the suite + room at AoA is a great option for you and you realize that AoA now has the Skyliner, which is a big plus.

I'm an onsite-only person, so please take my advice with that in mind. I don't like being out of the bubble and in your case, with 7 people, being onsite will make it so much easier for anyone who wants to go back to the resort or park hop (if you have hoppers). And the convenience of the QS food at your resort can't be overstated.

Maybe you'll get lucky and a discount will appear for your intended dates. There have been scant discounts, but they have cropped up here and there, so stay tuned for their next arrival.

And have a great trip!
Thank you-yes I will keep an eye out for discounts and pray. I am dying to try the skyliner too-seems a lot of people love it…

Yeah I mean I would love to stay at the swan or dolphin but anytime I’ve tried, it was way out of our price range and especially now with 7 adults-there’s no way that would work for us. I def cannot do a week in a double queen reg hotel room with 3 other adults. Nope. Lol
Doesn’t this apply to any of the WDW resorts or are there some which could hold all 7 of you? I’m staying at Swan this December for a very reasonable rate by WDW standards (less than $300 a night). Can’t beat this for the location. I would think with 7 adults you are looking at needing two rooms for any onsite hotels (not including DVC 2br units, of course).

But I think we'll be miserable if we do. There are soooo many lovely properties off site but we really love to be in the middle of the action. Please convince me that it's worth the $ now to stay on site. The prices have gone through the roof-even at the value resorts (which I really don't like). We are a larger group of 7 (all over 18) so we would need 2 rooms at a minimum. I know about the suites etc. I would stay at AofA in a suite for 5 of us and then a reg room for the other 2 people or something like that BUT the quote I'm seeing for a suite at AofA is over $500 a night!-maybe if all 7 of us could comfortably stay there I could justify it but to me as things stand with 7 of us, it seems crazy. We also know about renting points and have done that many times for DVC but again, the price per point is so high now too that even that seems ridiculous.
BUT, all this said, I know I am probably going to break down & end up doing it...
Please tell me your thoughts, ideas, etc.
We were originally all set to stay at WBC which we have stayed at before but of course they have changed their policies now & our dates are during their "blackout" dates next summer. Yes, I realize that WBC is not an actual disney resort but the location is amazing & the amenities are great.
Anyway, I am really struggling with this. Also seeing that you can no longer depend on the fact that Disney will come out with some kind of discount like they used to almost always do. it's all very unknown.
Help! I'm driving myself & the fam crazy trying to figure this out!
perhaps I should've listed this on the orlando hotels forum?
So firstly, I'll go on record and state we're an on property family too and prefer the disney transportation, even when you have to wait for a bus a really long long time lol. I just would rather not have to think about ubering or driving ourselves. I know, it's not a big deal but when we're at disney, we don't want to mess with real life. We've stayed off site and we will uber to the parks but it's not what we enjoy. We also like the perks of ETPE and EEH when you stay deluxe.

We've ubered and taken minnie vans while we've stayed on disney property but we usually try to avoid it. We like to stay deluxe but the prices as of the last few years have been insane so we do swan or dolphin and get all the deluxe benefits for moderate pricing. And yes DVC rentals have not been much of a deal unless you can score something last minute that someone is just trying to unload to hopefully not let their points go unused. I feel like they used to be a good value but not as much nowadays.

The suites at AofA would not be my first choice for a group of adults. They're great since you can get two bathrooms but I don't feel those accommodations and theming work well for adults. I've considered them for our family of 4 (with two teenaged girls) just to have the 2 bathrooms but I've yet to pull the trigger due to the cost and the value feel. Every where else we travel if not an airbnb with 2 bathrooms, we get a suite hotel so we can have extra space. It's much needed now that my kids know everything and can't stand to listen to us :) We can usually get two rooms at swan/dolphin for just a little more than AofA which imo is a better bang for our buck given the deluxe benefits. The TTC issue at MK for the buses is really not that bad and having the ability to walk/boat to DHS and Epcot is awesome.

I don't know if you'd even consider it, but maybe three rooms at CBR. Not sure of the required sleeping surfaces amongst the group/if anyone can share a bed etc... but that might be a better value given it's a moderate resort, also has skyliner access and you'd have 3 bathrooms for 7 adults, two rooms with 2 guests and 1 room with 3. The pull down 5th sleeper will work for one of the adults if they're tiny, like under 5'2" and not super particular where they sleep. It's not very comfy but it can do in a pinch if needed. CBR 3 rooms.... may not be less than AofA but it's another option with potentially more benefits.

Also, I think Beach Club has a suite that sleeps 7 adults but I think it's club level and likely very pricey. And WL has a deluxe suite that sleeps 6 with only 1 bathroom. It's also club level and can be overpriced depending on time of year. I've looked at that option but it's always been over $600/nt when I've looked.

All this to say, at some point, for a larger group, it may not make sense to stay on property if it's insanely priced and the cons outweigh the pros. I wouldn't hold your breath for a disney discount but you're better off booking what you want now and should a deal come up, you can try to book that when available.

At the end of the day, you just have to decide if you want to spend more $$ for less space than if you stayed off property. With 7 adults, there's no doubt you'll spend more on lodging on disney property than if you booked a condo or off disney property accommodations.

So firstly, I'll go on record and state we're an on property family too and prefer the disney transportation, even when you have to wait for a bus a really long long time lol. I just would rather not have to think about ubering or driving ourselves. I know, it's not a big deal but when we're at disney, we don't want to mess with real life. We've stayed off site and we will uber to the parks but it's not what we enjoy. We also like the perks of ETPE and EEH when you stay deluxe.

We've ubered and taken minnie vans while we've stayed on disney property but we usually try to avoid it. We like to stay deluxe but the prices as of the last few years have been insane so we do swan or dolphin and get all the deluxe benefits for moderate pricing. And yes DVC rentals have not been much of a deal unless you can score something last minute that someone is just trying to unload to hopefully not let their points go unused. I feel like they used to be a good value but not as much nowadays.

The suites at AofA would not be my first choice for a group of adults. They're great since you can get two bathrooms but I don't feel those accommodations and theming work well for adults. I've considered them for our family of 4 (with two teenaged girls) just to have the 2 bathrooms but I've yet to pull the trigger due to the cost and the value feel. Every where else we travel if not an airbnb with 2 bathrooms, we get a suite hotel so we can have extra space. It's much needed now that my kids know everything and can't stand to listen to us :) We can usually get two rooms at swan/dolphin for just a little more than AofA which imo is a better bang for our buck given the deluxe benefits. The TTC issue at MK for the buses is really not that bad and having the ability to walk/boat to DHS and Epcot is awesome.

I don't know if you'd even consider it, but maybe three rooms at CBR. Not sure of the required sleeping surfaces amongst the group/if anyone can share a bed etc... but that might be a better value given it's a moderate resort, also has skyliner access and you'd have 3 bathrooms for 7 adults, two rooms with 2 guests and 1 room with 3. The pull down 5th sleeper will work for one of the adults if they're tiny, like under 5'2" and not super particular where they sleep. It's not very comfy but it can do in a pinch if needed. CBR 3 rooms.... may not be less than AofA but it's another option with potentially more benefits.

Also, I think Beach Club has a suite that sleeps 7 adults but I think it's club level and likely very pricey. And WL has a deluxe suite that sleeps 6 with only 1 bathroom. It's also club level and can be overpriced depending on time of year. I've looked at that option but it's always been over $600/nt when I've looked.

All this to say, at some point, for a larger group, it may not make sense to stay on property if it's insanely priced and the cons outweigh the pros. I wouldn't hold your breath for a disney discount but you're better off booking what you want now and should a deal come up, you can try to book that when available.

At the end of the day, you just have to decide if you want to spend more $$ for less space than if you stayed off property. With 7 adults, there's no doubt you'll spend more on lodging on disney property than if you booked a condo or off disney property accommodations.
Yes all valid points. We will keep looking/keep hoping for discounts on Disney property etc. and also keep looking at off property places as well as we try to finalize what we’re doing. It is very tempting when you see 3 bedroom /2 bath villas for around $250 a night! Uggg this will probably be an ongoing battle until we get closer to the date! Thank you all for your input. Please keep it coming. It is actually very helpful to hear from others on this subject.🤗

If you have a D+ subscription, there have been resort discounts for D+ subscribers this year. Just something else to keep your eye on.

I would be very interested to hear what exactly you’re looking for. It sounds like you have a certain budget in mind, but are also not really wanting to do 4 people per room. I was booked at Doubletree Disney springs. That would have offered my family of 5 a room with 2 queens, and a living room area with a pull out sofa. They also have a free shuttle that could work for your family? My kids are 18, 15, and 12 and I switched to Dolphin so I was a smaller step to being “offsite”. I think if I had 7 I would definitely have stuck with doubletree though.

Edited to add - I am interested in the dynamic of your party of 7. I know you said 5 and 2 might be an option. But sometimes in families or friend groups there’s a different level of comfort between certain people and sharing a room.

It sounds like this thread was made for validation of staying onsite? It initially sounded like someone who hadn't stayed offsite before but then that changed to stayed off site before and then changed to actually stayed off site twice.

Have you looked into what Disney gives you for being on site since it's been a few years? Does that matter or is it only location?

You've got 7 people, that's a lot to fit into space that Disney offers. Number of bathrooms is important, touring style is important, changing needs of people is important. It's been a few years as you say is everyone's needs the same as they were when you last went?

Have you looked into Disney Springs resorts? You've got several Hilton-owned properties among other well-known brands that offer space and nice accommodations. The DoubleTree for instance does have 1 room that would fit everyone and probably is pricey per night but you'd have to weigh that with the costs of what 2 rooms would be and likely pricier than AOA family suites but has bigger beds and all actually fit. The one I saw was 2 bedrooms 2 bathrooms that have a queen sofa bed, a room with 2 queen beds and a room with a king sized bed. 3 tvs too if that's a consideration.

As an aside in May when we did a split stay between Universal onsite and Disney we stayed at Hampton Inn South Lake Buena Vista (closer to the golf course behind Disney Springs) and while I wouldn't necessarily suggest that particular Hampton Inn (we found it below our normal standards for Hampton) the location was easy peasy to get to the parks. We were often on Disney property in minutes and it was not long before we were in the parking lots, on Maps it looked longer but it really wasn't.

"It sounds like this thread was made for validation of staying onsite? It initially sounded like someone who hadn't stayed offsite before but then that changed to stayed off site before and then changed to actually stayed off site twice."

Yes, well I guess it was originally. I actually posted this on the Disney resort page & then it got moved over here. : )
I half jokingly said that perhaps I should've put this on the Orlando Hotel forum...

Also if you read my orig post, I don't think I said that I haven't stayed off site before-as a matter of fact, I'm pretty sure that I mention how much we loved staying at WBC. So basically, we used to go to Disney a lot when the kids were little-mostly on site and of course the younger they are, the easier it was to stay on site. We are a fam of 5 so the 2 other people coming are friends-which is what makes it that much more challenging.

We stayed off site twice before-once in the townhome and once at WBC.

"It sounds like this thread was made for validation of staying onsite? It initially sounded like someone who hadn't stayed offsite before but then that changed to stayed off site before and then changed to actually stayed off site twice."

Yes, well I guess it was originally. I actually posted this on the Disney resort page & then it got moved over here. : )
I half jokingly said that perhaps I should've put this on the Orlando Hotel forum...

Also if you read my orig post, I don't think I said that I haven't stayed off site before-as a matter of fact, I'm pretty sure that I mention how much we loved staying at WBC. So basically, we used to go to Disney a lot when the kids were little-mostly on site and of course the younger they are, the easier it was to stay on site. We are a fam of 5 so the 2 other people coming are friends-which is what makes it that much more challenging.

We stayed off site twice before-once in the townhome and once at WBC.
The Board it's on it's really a big deal to my point it was just that you come off very much like you want to stay on site and just want validation for it, that's not a big deal but if people are going to give you suggestions for elsewhere if you're stuck on being onsite won't matter too much there.

As for the haven't stayed offsite before you may want to re-read the comments because there's a good amount of posters who seemed to have gotten that same impression including several "you don't know if it will work out til you try it" type comments. You have stayed off site had two experiences with it and seemed it didn't work out so unless you're thinking 3rd time is the charm it's just you wanting people to convince you to stay on site quite the opposite of what you ask in your thread title. There's nothing wrong with wanting to stay onsite but you don't need the DIS to convince you of this :) unless you're asking for suggestions about Disney-owned properties that would fit your group of 7 who are now charged as adults and may not be sized like kids anymore fitting on the beds.

My ultimate suggestion would be to check out Disney Springs hotels as they are on Disney property but not Disney owned and have greater flexibility in options for that large of a group . Enjoy the trip wherever you choose!

What about the Drury Suites that are opening ?
They are considered Disney Springs area .
Does anybody know anything about this location for group of 7 ?

Yes all valid points. We will keep looking/keep hoping for discounts on Disney property etc. and also keep looking at off property places as well as we try to finalize what we’re doing. It is very tempting when you see 3 bedroom /2 bath villas for around $250 a night! Uggg this will probably be an ongoing battle until we get closer to the date! Thank you all for your input. Please keep it coming. It is actually very helpful to hear from others on this subject.🤗
I’m with you that it’s hard giving up the feel and flow onsite and not always worth the savings staying offsite. In your situation it is a big price gap though. Best thing to do is price out a few options on and off site.

Maybe try:
AirBnB where you can get a lovely house with plenty of room for 7 adults for around $2k for the week. Get one rental car and supplement with uber for splitting up. This could also lower the food budget as well. It might be 3 or 4 thousand difference. So even if you add some special splurges in (like an After Hours party or Savor the Savannah at AK, etc), you’d still be saving a couple thousand over staying onsite.

Working out a few different options/budgets will hopefully make you more confident which is the best choice.

The Board it's on it's really a big deal to my point it was just that you come off very much like you want to stay on site and just want validation for it, that's not a big deal but if people are going to give you suggestions for elsewhere if you're stuck on being onsite won't matter too much there.

As for the haven't stayed offsite before you may want to re-read the comments because there's a good amount of posters who seemed to have gotten that same impression including several "you don't know if it will work out til you try it" type comments. You have stayed off site had two experiences with it and seemed it didn't work out so unless you're thinking 3rd time is the charm it's just you wanting people to convince you to stay on site quite the opposite of what you ask in your thread title. There's nothing wrong with wanting to stay onsite but you don't need the DIS to convince you of this :) unless you're asking for suggestions about Disney-owned properties that would fit your group of 7 who are now charged as adults and may not be sized like kids anymore fitting on the beds.

My ultimate suggestion would be to check out Disney Springs hotels as they are on Disney property but not Disney owned and have greater flexibility in options for that large of a group . Enjoy the trip wherever you choose!
Thank you and I think the way I titled my post was my lame attempt at being witty-lol-really looking for validation to stay on site like you said 😌
I did briefly look at the Disney springs area-I will delve deeper into that as some of you suggested because that might work for us and give the best of both worlds 👍

I might not be the best person to answer this question since I've never stayed offsite. But I've thought long and hard about whether I ever would, and what it would take to push me in that direction.

We are at a point now where we rent DVC to be able to stay at the deluxe resorts. The reason for that is *mainly* proximity to the parks but also bc we just prefer a resort/upscale feel for vacation. Where I wouldn't pay the high rates to book deluxe through Disney direct (especially at the current rates :oops:) DVC rentals are generally on with the cost to book a moderate directly through Disney, or marginally more. Because of that, it's unlikely that we'd stay at a moderate resort - bc why stay moderate when we can stay deluxe through dvc rental for just a little bit more?

So that leaves the values if we're looking to save money. Except, like you, I'm not sure I'd enjoy the values - and I also think they seem super overpriced for what you're getting (except maybe AoA). The only perks for staying onsite at a value at this point seem to be an extra 30 minutes in the parks early in the morning and transportation to the parks. Transportation is a big priority for us, and MIGHT be a reason for us to try AoA or Pop at some point. I'm still unsure But without that perk of the Skyliner, it wouldn't even be a question. That is the breaking point for me. Because at the point I'm paying inflated prices for what is essentially just a motel, I'd rather stay at a nicer resort off-property and Uber to the parks when needed.

Thank you and I think the way I titled my post was my lame attempt at being witty-lol-really looking for validation to stay on site like you said 😌
I did briefly look at the Disney springs area-I will delve deeper into that as some of you suggested because that might work for us and give the best of both worlds 👍
From what I gather, the transportation from the DS-area hotels is somewhat limited, running on a schedule. I guess there are positives to that, since you know when the bus is coming (or supposed to be coming). I've never stayed in a DS hotel, so perhaps someone who has will see this thread and give info about how the transportation really works.

Actually, you very well may say exactly this, on the 3rd day of a 7-day vacation, stuck in a small room with three other people.

This is so true. Our last trip was 11 nights, and we had 2 little kids in a dvc studio. Theoretically, it should have been fine. In reality, both kids got sick, nobody slept, and by Day 7 or 8 I was wishing for another bedroom. Or just that it was time to go home....something I NEVER thought I'd ever wish for in Disney.

Actually, you very well may say exactly this, on the 3rd day of a 7-day vacation, stuck in a small room with three other people.

Could happen. Hopefully the OP knows which kind of family they are. Would they rather be in a smaller space but have all the on site perks, or would they rather have room to spread out and have to deal with less than Disney transportation? Neither way is wrong.

Thank you for your insight-as well as everyone else’s. I think this is basically the bottom line for me. We have stayed off site twice before-once at a townhome that had its own mini pool and once at BWC. I would not do the townhome style stay again unless I planned on doing other Orlando activities and not Disney. As I mentioned, we did really enjoy WBC as we are really looking for that “resort” feel if not on an actual Disney hotel. As far as fort wilderness, I don’t know if that would work for us but I do like the idea and I love fort wilderness. The main negative I see with fort wilderness is how spread out it is and not having a “real” private bathroom-might not work for me and the girls. Lol.
In regards to real private bathrooms at Fort Wilderness, most rental RVs will have a bathroom, some even have a bath and a half. Rental companies will deliver it, set it up and take down, walls may be thin but at least you would have a locking door. We love Ft. Wilderness, but we have our own RV and have never tried a rental. The only time I have used a comfort station campground bathroom was tent camping.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter