*Truck and Towing thread........ask your questions here.*

I followed that link and it shows a picture of the black CPS. It says it's a Ford part, but if I remember correctly, the black ones are actually an International part, and of better quality. The Ford part is blue I believe.
I bought mine from International (cheaper than Ford) or the internet. They were all black. HERE is a link to the Ford part and it is black. FWIW, neither OEM Ford nor International (from the dealer) or the cheap internet ones seemed to last any longer than an other. It's just a Hall effect sensor. Not sure why nobody could make one last.

j

I bought mine from International (cheaper than Ford) or the internet. They were all black. HERE is a link to the Ford part and it is black. FWIW, neither OEM Ford nor International (from the dealer) or the cheap internet ones seemed to last any longer than an other. It's just a Hall effect sensor. Not sure why nobody could make one last.

j
A lot of the problems with them are related to electronic interferences. One of the big problems was a miss while using the windshield wipers on intermittent.

We've had our Silverado 6.0L gasser for close to 2 years now. Pulling a 31' FW for the past 1-1/2 years, all of which has been in Florida. We recently returned from a 1120 mile round trip from the Panhandle of Florida to Gatlinburg, Tn and back. I've heard horror stories that the gasser just lacks the "pull" necessary to negotiate the mountains. Granted, we didn't go over any significant mountains but some grades that "tested" the gasser pulling the FW.

I'm happy to report that I was not in the least bit disappointed in it's performance. With the cruise control set at 63mph in tow haul mode, it was able to maintain the set speed without issue.

Here's a pic of our view from the back window of our FW. We were camped at Greenbrier Campground near Gatlinburg.

lpr.jpg

Well...I bit the bullet and bought this beauty today. 2018 Rockwood Premier, 1 slide (dinette) and 1 tip out Bay Window (sink and stove). Weighs about 2600 pounds empty. Looking forward to taking her to the fort next September :DView attachment 359481 View attachment 359482

It's a beauty, cinderellagirl2280.

Welcome to the Fort Wilderness/pop-up camper NEXIS. You have found the "sweet spot" combo. pixiedust:

Bama Ed

PS - we had a Jayco pop-up dinette slideout with a front storage compartment for 10 years 2004-2014. It served us well.

It's a beauty, cinderellagirl2280.

Welcome to the Fort Wilderness/pop-up camper NEXIS. You have found the "sweet spot" combo. pixiedust:

Bama Ed

PS - we had a Jayco pop-up dinette slideout with a front storage compartment for 10 years 2004-2014. It served us well.

When I was down at the Fort in 2015, I rented a pop up from Fort Camper Rentals at the time and it had the slide dinette. When it came to purchasing one, a slide was required if I was getting a pop up. I had thought about an A-liner for a while but my concern was that I wouldn't have enough space if I was going to take my nieces and nephew with me.

When I was down at the Fort in 2015, I rented a pop up from Fort Camper Rentals at the time and it had the slide dinette. When it came to purchasing one, a slide was required if I was getting a pop up. I had thought about an A-liner for a while but my concern was that I wouldn't have enough space if I was going to take my nieces and nephew with me.

I get it.

An Aliner (interior) is at best a two-and-a-half person trailer. As in: two people (who pack lightly) on a regular weekend and a third person on the folded down dinette people sometimes (not all the time). That's the "half" part.

So if you need space for a niece and nephew who are with you at the same time, you made the right choice.

Bama Ed

PS - especially if it's a cold and/or wet day, you will appreciate the extra space inside.

Well...I bit the bullet and bought this beauty today. 2018 Rockwood Premier

Looks great! Congratulations! Even though I am happy with my TT, I still think how great it would be to have a PUP! Look forward to pictures out camping someday!

Looks great! Congratulations! Even though I am happy with my TT, I still think how great it would be to have a PUP! Look forward to pictures out camping someday!

I agree 100%

I agree 100%

Thanks! I can't wait to get her out. Unfortunately we are starting to hit the colder weather here in Ontario so she's away at the dealership for the winter while they add the A/C and Screen Room. The sales guy I worked with went to the Fort last year for the first time, so when I told him the main reason for this trailer was so I could camp at the Fort every year he was all excited.

Next task...find my TV.

Shew, haven't been able to get on in a little bit. I've been working 12 hr shifts pretty much constantly for about a month now. Only a few days off here and there. It's not gonna let up anytime soon either. I've been working on my truck and 5er with most of my spare time. I've had a few problems here and there.

I recently got my tuner and a 4" straight turbo back exhaust, and got them installed 2 weeks ago. Then, weekend before last we pulled the camper to a local campground on Norris Lake for the weekend. No tuner though, since I didn't have gauges. I got the gauges in yesterday and installed them today. I also had a problem with my transfer tank. The hose was leaking due to a hole in it, so I replaced it. For some reason, presumably a piece of trash or something, the fuel wouldn't transfer. After I got home from music practice at church, I gave it a little puff of compressed air. Whatever it was, it's gone now, the fuel is transferring, even with the cap on the transfer tank. It has a vent, but wouldn't transfer before, even with the cap off the truck tank.

I also winterized the 5er today. I guess the next time I'll pull it will be 110 days from now, when we head to the Fort. Oh, I repaired my awning mount on the 5er as well. Busy, but productive day!

Well...I bit the bullet and bought this beauty today.
Congrats on the new trailer. Although we have a diesel RV, we've been helping a friend find a slide pup. It has been quite an interesting ordeal. They have it narrowed down to 2 models.
Now comes the arm wrestling with the dealer. They like both, just waiting to see who will go the lowest. Fingers crossed.
Can't wait for the trip report

Sluf,

It sounds like your truck is going to be a real towing brute. I had a similar problem with my auxiliary tank. I plumbed mine into the filler pipe. There was a one way check valve to stop the fuel running in when the main tank was full, but the check valve would stick mostly closed. It would let a trickle of fuel through, but not enough to keep up with the fuel being pulled from the tank. Especially at 8-9 mpg. Trying to flow a gallon every 7-8 minutes through a pin hole doesn't work too well.

I finally took the check valve out and gutted it so it is a straight through flow. I was worried about the main tank overflowing, but the fuel cap seals well and I haven't had any problems.

j

Sluf,

It sounds like your truck is going to be a real towing brute. I had a similar problem with my auxiliary tank. I plumbed mine into the filler pipe. There was a one way check valve to stop the fuel running in when the main tank was full, but the check valve would stick mostly closed. It would let a trickle of fuel through, but not enough to keep up with the fuel being pulled from the tank. Especially at 8-9 mpg. Trying to flow a gallon every 7-8 minutes through a pin hole doesn't work too well.

I finally took the check valve out and gutted it so it is a straight through flow. I was worried about the main tank overflowing, but the fuel cap seals well and I haven't had any problems.

j
I sure hope it's a brute! From the factory that 7.3L is a dog. They've got it de-tuned so badly.

I've been buying "stuff" along the way with all the OT I'm working as well. Things like assorted fuse kits, a large wire terminal kit, a shrink tubing kit, etc. I replaced the batteries in my truck recently as well, since one of them gave out. I put a truck box in a little bit back to hold all of my tools and extra parts that will be making the trip with me. With the camper level, I have about 8-9 inches of clearance over the rails, so I was able to get away with a crossover box. I was at Walmart earlier picking up some stuff and saw ammo cans for $4.88. I had been wondering how to put my multi meter in the toolbox without having to worry about moisture. That was my "A-Ha" moment. So now I have an ammo can with my meter, strippers, and crimper in it, as well as my test jumpers and the assorted ends for my test leads. Hopefully I'll be ready for most anything that could happen on our trip!

From the factory that 7.3L is a dog. They've got it de-tuned so badly.
The 7.3 was built as a work horse. Nearly every school bus, trash truck and dump truck from the era had that engine, either from Ford or International. I loved mine, but it did need some "enhancements". 275 HP/520 lb/ft was good for the time, but not enough for towing bigger trailers. I also had a 2001 F250 and did nearly everything you are doing. FWIW 400/800 is about the best you can reliably do with a chip/exhaust/air box. To go higher, you need to drop in bigger injectors and that gets expensive.

I already mentioned the intercooler boots. The only problems I have from chipping mine up was beefing up the high pressure oil side of things. The fuel injectors work off oil pressure on the 7.3. Chipping the engine puts a lot more load on the high pressure oil side of things to increase injector cycles. Look into getting an oil rail crossover. On the stock motor, each head has it's own oil rail. The increased duty cycles put a lot of increased stress on the oil rails by opening and closing the injectors faster. The crossover helps balance out the pressure spikes as the injectors open and close. Here is a link. Even with this, I blew the stainless braided oil lines. Eventually the pressure spikes cracked the housing on my HPOP (high pressure oil pump), but I was pushing over 450 HP and 1000 lb/ft.

I would probably still have that truck if it hadn't developed electrical gremlins. More HP/Tq than the newest trucks and 1,000 lbs lighter.

j

The 7.3 was built as a work horse. Nearly every school bus, trash truck and dump truck from the era had that engine, either from Ford or International. I loved mine, but it did need some "enhancements". 275 HP/520 lb/ft was good for the time, but not enough for towing bigger trailers. I also had a 2001 F250 and did nearly everything you are doing. FWIW 400/800 is about the best you can reliably do with a chip/exhaust/air box. To go higher, you need to drop in bigger injectors and that gets expensive.

I already mentioned the intercooler boots. The only problems I have from chipping mine up was beefing up the high pressure oil side of things. The fuel injectors work off oil pressure on the 7.3. Chipping the engine puts a lot more load on the high pressure oil side of things to increase injector cycles. Look into getting an oil rail crossover. On the stock motor, each head has it's own oil rail. The increased duty cycles put a lot of increased stress on the oil rails by opening and closing the injectors faster. The crossover helps balance out the pressure spikes as the injectors open and close. Here is a link. Even with this, I blew the stainless braided oil lines. Eventually the pressure spikes cracked the housing on my HPOP (high pressure oil pump), but I was pushing over 450 HP and 1000 lb/ft.

I would probably still have that truck if it hadn't developed electrical gremlins. More HP/Tq than the newest trucks and 1,000 lbs lighter.

j
Oh, yeah. The 7.3 is without a doubt one of the best engines ever made. Ford just underpowered them so badly. I'm running an 80 hp economy tune from DP and it's a whole different truck. The automatic trucks are 250hp/505tq. I don't know what the torque gains are for that 80e tune, but the hp should obviously be around 330, with what I imagine would be another small/negligible gain from the 4" exhaust. I'm done with the performance upgrades at that. The 01-03 7.3s have PMRs as well, so 400hp (as you said) is pretty much the cap. My upgrades from here on out are going to be more about longevity, with the exception of a 6637 air filter.

My next question to everyone I guess would be what I need to pack in the toolbox for the trip. I plan to pack some PEX fittings and crimp tool in case I have plumbing issues. Same with stuff to diagnose electrical problems. Jack, 4-way lug wrench, bulbs, jack stands, etc. What else?

Oh, yeah. The 7.3 is without a doubt one of the best engines ever made. I'm running an 80 hp economy tune from DP and it's a whole different truck. I don't know what the torque gains are for that 80e tune, but the hp should obviously be around 330, with what I imagine would be another small/negligible gain from the 4" exhaust.
Torque increases are typically double the HP on a diesel. I would think you were probably around a 150 lb/ft bump. That gets you up to about 650 or so, which is respectable unless you are pulling 15,000 lbs. I'm not sure how much power boost you will see with the exhaust, but your EGTs will be MUCH lower. That became the limiting factor on my truck.

As for what to put in your tool box. You have the basics I carry. Extra GFCI outlet maybe. They seem to go bad at the worst times on these trailers. In racing, it always seemed to be, no matter how many spares you brought, the thing that broke was the only thing you didn't have an extra for.

j

Torque increases are typically double the HP on a diesel. I would think you were probably around a 150 lb/ft bump. That gets you up to about 650 or so, which is respectable unless you are pulling 15,000 lbs. I'm not sure how much power boost you will see with the exhaust, but your EGTs will be MUCH lower. That became the limiting factor on my truck.

As for what to put in your tool box. You have the basics I carry. Extra GFCI outlet maybe. They seem to go bad at the worst times on these trailers. In racing, it always seemed to be, no matter how many spares you brought, the thing that broke was the only thing you didn't have an extra for.

j
I'm suspicious of the boost gauge. It tops out at 17psi on the tune. My old truck built around 24psi. I tested the gauge before I put it in. If the regulator on my compressor is accurate, the gauge isn't. The gauge read 25psi with the compressor set to 30psi. I'm going to get a gauge at work to confirm. EGTs climb to around 1300 at WOT to 70mph. Cruising at highway speed is around 500-600.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!