*Truck and Towing thread........ask your questions here.*

I tow a 5000lb TT with F-150 towing caps similar to yours.

As others have pointed out keep the speed down, you won’t be able to keep up with normal traffic. I usually stay around 60-65. Easier to handle any sway (even with a good sway control) from side winds, and there is noticeable difference in gas mileage between 60 and 70.

Plan! Plan your route. Plan your stops for nights. Plan where to get gas and know where the rest stops are. Once you have planned everything go over it again see if you missed anything. Then go over it again. Once you have that planned, you then plan to have the plan not go as planned.

One more thing … Have Fun!

I no longer balance my truck tires with weights. I use bead balancers now. They work great, it might be out of balance for a few miles, but they quickly figure it out and smooth ride after that.

https://www.amazon.com/DIYDK-6-Counteract-Balancing-Beads-Dually/dp/B06X6K8GVV
Never heard of those bead balancers before I had to replace my steer tires. They seem to work great and now I have those red topped valve stem caps on my golf cart! Ha.... :)

Makes no sense these places can't/won't do a 3500. The 3rd place that turned me down said the lift wasn't big enough. I guess they don't have a jack and a long hose to do it in the driveway?!

Totally gobsmacked.
When I replaced the steer tires on my coach they used a bottle jack (a really big one, I'm 18k total on the front axle) and did it outside.

When I replaced the steer tires on my coach they used a bottle jack (a really big one, I'm 18k total on the front axle) and did it outside.
Before I finished college, I worked with a friend at his tractor/trailer repair business. We did a lot of preventive maintenance on fleet trailers. Same process with those trailers when changing brakes or bearings. Big bottle jack under an axle.

I asked my local tire guy about mounting/balancing the 350(0) truck tires and why some places can't do it. He said the larger, heavier tires and wheels take additional adapters for the balancing machine that a lot of shops don't have. He implied they are pretty expensive and if the shop doesn't have that much truck business, they don't bother getting the additional sets. He also said that some of the GM wheels don't work with the standard adapters and you need special ones for those.

j

Never heard of those bead balancers before I had to replace my steer tires. They seem to work great and now I have those red topped valve stem caps on my golf cart! Ha.... :)

I get my tires from Southern Tire Mart. A dealer chain. They primarily are associated with truck stops, which means no lifts, everything is old school bottle and floor jacks. On top of that, the local one anyway, will match and beat any local dealer on tire costs. They have several locations in the southern US, and your tires from there are free rotation for life of tire and free roadside on their tires if there is an issue. With several locations along I10 it works in my favor as a "just in case".

Not exactly "tires" but related. I waited months to replace those tires because the Smartire sensors weren't available. When they were available I had them send two at about $100 each. They band to the inside of the wheel so obviously the best time to replace is during a tire change. Everything was complete and I tried to set up the two new sensors and the onboard computer couldn't find them. Apparently they need to be "turned on" which they normally do after mounting. My tire dealer doesn't have the wand for those truck sensors. They are still in there not working two years later. Live and learn folks.

Not exactly "tires" but related. I waited months to replace those tires because the Smartire sensors weren't available. When they were available I had them send two at about $100 each. They band to the inside of the wheel so obviously the best time to replace is during a tire change. Everything was complete and I tried to set up the two new sensors and the onboard computer couldn't find them. Apparently they need to be "turned on" which they normally do after mounting. My tire dealer doesn't have the wand for those truck sensors. They are still in there not working two years later. Live and learn folks.

Dang man, hate that.

@Stratman50th Having the proper program activator for TPMS is a key. My friends shop has the two types you need for early and late model systems. I have not heard of him needing any additional for large trucks.

@Teamubr Unless you are running 17.5 or later rims your guy is blowing smoke. My dually rims fit a Snap-On and Weaver balancer without any additional or special adaptors, just want comes standard with the balancer. John was the one that steered me to bead balancing because its not that he cannot balance them, its a PITA to get truck tires to balance. I was a test case as well as himself for the newer system for smaller trucks, but we where both sold in the end when I rotate tires before buying the new ones.

I think most shops don't like big trucks because they lack a 14k lift or don't want to deal with the truck jacks. Those pneumatic thumper jacks are key for bigger then F350 trucks. The tire shop I used last time did not use a lift, just 2 rolling thumper jacks and had me in and out in about hour for all 6 wheels. Even said the bead balance saves them about 45 minutes of trying to get the steers to balance.

@Stratman50th Having the proper program activator for TPMS is a key. My friends shop has the two types you need for early and late model systems.
The system is "Smartire". It worked with the whole coach Silver leaf computer. Silver leaf no longer supports RVs or cars, only commercial trucking. I did find out that Peterbilt installs them on all their new trucks. I called the local Peterbilt dealer/shop and when I said RV they cut me right off. End of discussion. So, no further ahead than before.

So I got a new-to-me tow vehicle and need a new hitch mount for it. Did the math and it's vastly different from the old TV. Please look over my shoulder and tell me if I've got this right.

I revisited this web page: https://www.curtmfg.com/towing-accessories/ball-mounts/learn-more and the first static picture has the formula and sketch to go with it. B minus A equals C (drop).

My Aliner sits at 15 inches when level.

20210126_094134.jpg

On my old TV, I had a 2 inch drop on the hitch mount to a 2 inch receiver which sat under the full rear bumper (2005 Chevy Suburban). But on my new TV, the hitch receiver is integrated INTO the rear bumper and I'm measuring a CRAZY 24.5 inches.

20210126_093920.jpg

20210126_093950.jpg

That's resulting in a 9.5 inch drop which is pretty steep. There was FAR fewer choices than those in the 2 inch drop category.

Does this sound correct to you? Just want to make sure there is not something simple I am overlooking before I buy such a "droopy" animal.

TIA.

Bama ED

Last edited:
Kinda looks like my 2011 Tahoe Ed, and yeah... that's about right. I can measure if you like. Did you get another Suburban?

Yeah, sounds right. Thats the way they tell you to do it. I would think you could get away with an inch or so shorter as the weight should settle the tv a bit.

So I got a new-to-me tow vehicle and need a new hitch mount for it. Did the math and it's vastly different from the old TV. Please look over my shoulder and tell me if I've got this right.

I revisited this web page: https://www.curtmfg.com/towing-accessories/ball-mounts/learn-more and the first static picture has the formula and sketch to go with it. B minus A equals C (drop).

My Aliner sits at 15 inches when level.

20210126_094134.jpg

On my old TV, I had a 2 inch drop on the hitch mount to a 2 inch receiver which sat under the full rear bumper (2005 Chevy Suburban). But on my new TV, the hitch receiver is integrated INTO the rear bumper and I'm measuring a CRAZY 24.5 inches.

20210126_093920.jpg

20210126_093950.jpg

That's resulting in a 9.5 inch drop which is pretty steep. There was FAR fewer choices than those in the 2 inch drop category.

Does this sound correct to you? Just want to make sure there is not something simple I am overlooking before I buy such a "droopy" animal.

TIA.

Bama ED

I could not get Stratman50 etrailer suggestion to load.

Ed, you can go with a single drop, or they make an adjustable drop hitch also. I have one, it pins in to the receiver, and there is a second pin to adjust the up and down height. Mine came from Lowes some time ago, etrailer I am sure has them, Tractor Supply may... That may give you the depth you need, I can go measure mine, as I am not sure what the total drop is.

My Tahoe has a cover over the hitch but it's about 24". I measured the base plate on the front of the Tahoe and it's roughly 15". The receiver on the coach is 19". I got a 6" drop hitch to mount the Blue Ox bridle into and it comes out almost even.
Not sure why the link won't load? It just spins and says "Loading" for me too but if I click in it, it comes up.

Kinda looks like my 2011 Tahoe Ed, and yeah... that's about right. I can measure if you like. Did you get another Suburban?

That's a picture of the back of a 2012 GMC Yukon XL SLT, Don.

I've been an eTrailer customer for a long time so I always check with them and they only have 3 mounts for a 10 inch drop into a 2 inch receiver (no 9 inch).

Ed, you can go with a single drop, or they make an adjustable drop hitch also. I have one, it pins in to the receiver, and there is a second pin to adjust the up and down height. Mine came from Lowes some time ago, etrailer I am sure has them, Tractor Supply may... That may give you the depth you need, I can go measure mine, as I am not sure what the total drop is.

I've seen those on the road in other TV, PaHunter, and in looking at them I see that being adjustable has its advantages. But I don't tow different things that have different ball heights (camper, boat, etc.) so once I get the right height on a fixed drop, I don't really need adjustability. eTrailer has them and they are nearly twice the cost of a fixed drop.

One option is to hit up the local U-Haul store or Tractor Supply House as you mentioned, PaHunter, and buy one in person and try it out. Because if it's off an inch or two, I can take it back and get a different one.

Not sure why the link won't load? It just spins and says "Loading" for me too but if I click in it, it comes up.

Maybe you could find a neighborhood teenager to help you with that techy internet stuff, Stratman50th. :rotfl2: <jk> :duck:

Well okay, I have to hit the local stores and look at the hardware in person even if I have to pay a little bit more. But hey, I'm retired - I've got the time.
IconCool_zpsusdsvwyx.gif

Bama Ed

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter