Trip starting Saturday...and argh.

2vets

Addicted since 1971
Hi, all - Just looking for some good vibes. I have a solo trip starting Saturday - it is intended to celebrate my late dad's life, I'm staying one night at AKL (standard view since I arrive later in the day) and 4 nights GF TPV. I had lined up some amazing stuff, including an After Hours, dinners at Boma (never been!), Narcoosee's and Victoria and Albert's, and a Sip, Sparkle, Celebrate party at CR. I have been so, so looking forward to this.

Well, my husband and I are just back from an overseas trip to a remote area of the Indopacific. We both got very ill on our trip - a nasty respiratory bug, but for me, it badly impacted my ability to eat; everything tasted awful (multiple covid tests have been negative, including a molecular test, so no clue what it was). I lost over 6 lbs and had some nasty electrolyte imbalance issues at the very end; I likely narrowly avoided landing in the hospital overseas. I've really been on the upswing, still a lingering cough but decently controlled with a prescription cough suppressant. I am able to eat again, thank goodness, and food tastes good again while I'm actually eating it, but it still kind of fades to a weird aftertaste.

I love, love, love to eat, especially at Disney, and although I am grateful to be well enough to travel and anticipate a great trip (if maybe slower than usual), it is so frustrating to me that I might not be able to enjoy food as much as usual. Just frickin' torture :(. Most items are a no-brainer to keep because I know I can still enjoy them, even if less than normal. The one big pause I have is V&As - I would have to cancel today to avoid any fee, and I'm just not willing to do that. I have been improving daily, after all. But I'll need to make a call by the end of the weekend; I figure my dinner at Boma will give me a clear view of how well I'll actually do once the yummy Disney food is in front of me. I don't know when I'll have another opportunity to do V&As or I'd just cancel it.

Can you guys just send some positive thoughts and crossed fingers my way? It would be much appreciated - thanks :).

Oh my goodness, I’m so sorry you’re both going through that! I’m glad you’re on the mend. Which day is V&A for you? I feel like you might have at least five days until your reservation, and that’s plenty of time to spend on the upswing :).

Call Disney about V&A. Worst they say is no they won’t wave the cancellation fee- but maybe you’ll get lucky. There will be future chances to book it, it’s not some magical booking that no one can get. You’ll find a way to grab it again in the future.

If you can’t taste every morsel at V&A what is the point of the very special price tag? If Disney won’t wave the cancellation fee I’d probably still go ahead and pay as it will hurt less than the cost of a meal you can’t taste all of breaking your heart as you eat it.

No matter how you end up on all of it I’m absolutely sending positive DISer vibes your way!!

Oh my goodness, I’m so sorry you’re both going through that! I’m glad you’re on the mend. Which day is V&A for you? I feel like you might have at least five days until your reservation, and that’s plenty of time to spend on the upswing :).
Thanks, I am so frustrated. I know I sound a little ridiculous ("poor me, I lost some weight and may not be able to eat all of my extremely expensive, fancy meal"), but I am normally a very strong person and have never dealt with anything like this. And I had chemo 20 years ago! The dinner is Tuesday, and I am all packed - I am fine with the $100 cancellation fee, it's only fair, but I need to make a decision before I have to pay for the whole thing.

I cannot believe this is dragging on so long :(.

Anyways, thank you all for your kind words. I'll let you know what happens.

"...multiple covid tests have been negative, including a molecular test, so no clue what it was"

Just an FYI, while COVID was often found to cause the loss of taste and smell, it is not the only virus to do so . Many viruses which infect the upper respiratory tract have been known to cause these same symptoms.

"...multiple covid tests have been negative, including a molecular test, so no clue what it was"

Just an FYI, while COVID was often found to cause the loss of taste and smell, it is not the only virus to do so . Many viruses which infect the upper respiratory tract have been known to cause these same symptoms.
Thanks. I was aware of this, but it just has never been the case for me, even with covid. I’ve always eaten verrrrry well when I have a respiratory thing! I do agree that covid is just easy to blame.

I just landed and am hopeful! I are a whole burrito last night!!

So what do you consider the lesser of two evils? Missing the V&A dinner or stressing about enjoying the very expensive dinner? IMHO- less stress=better trip. This is after all a celebration. I hope you have a wonderful joyful experience whatever you choose. :tink:

I have never enjoyed V&A dining . Would the Chef experience be concerned enough to make suggestions for your dining needs last minute? Does the menu say No substitutions?
What would be your second backup dining plan ?

Nothing like a magical burrito.😉
Omg, I was so freaking excited! That should tell you how bad this got.

I ate at Boma last night, and loved it. Nomad Lounge today, same, though it seems like sweet cocktails are not working for me yet. So I feel good about enjoying the meal! I did reach out to V&A’s by email today, however, and explained the situation in case they would have some concern that other guests might be uneasy. That may be overkill, but I am one person, and they have a room full.

Wanted to let those of you who responded know that I went to my V&A dinner last night. I couldn’t finish all the carbs, but I powered through the vast majority of the 10-course menu. Stunning. I’m so glad I kept it. This was also one of the most comfortable solo dining experiences I’ve had. It seemed very appropriate, tbh. There was so much to take in that I was happy not to have to make chitchat!!! I’ll do an actual dining report from this trip in a few days.

So glad you made it!
We are here right now, and have been to nomad 3 times!
We had a stunning dinner at Monsieur Paul's if you want another amazing experience

So glad you made it!
We are here right now, and have been to nomad 3 times!
We had a stunning dinner at Monsieur Paul's if you want another amazing experience
I need to go there at some point! It has been a wonderful, relaxing trip, I’m so glad you are having a wonderful time (sounds like)! I got to Nomad on Sunday, it was such a great early lunch:). I am having a Tokyo Negi roll at Shiki-Sai now - this place is a gem - and I have Narcoosees tonight, then head out after a few last-minute rides/final Tron ;). I may make these Spring solo trips an annual thing. They are glorious. Enjoy the rest of your time!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter