Trip Report! Alaska -- Taming the Last Frontier Part 4 - IMAGE INTENSIVE!

sayhello

Have Camera, Will Travel
Continuing Day 4...

After our lunch at the Brewpub, we got back on the motorcoach, and continued our trip South. We headed down to the area of the Cook inlet called the Turnagain Arm. It's an area that has the second fastest and most extreme tides, I believe in the world. (#1 is the Bay of Fundy). When the tide is out, the area is all mud flats. When the tide is in, it's like a normal inlet. (It's called the Turnagain Arm because Cook had trouble navigating all the way up it, and had to turn again & again to try & get up it...)

ABDAlaska1628.jpg

People get in trouble, going out on the mudflats, and then having the tide come in. (Plus, the mudflats can be like quicksand! But some people are crazy!) When the tide is in, it's a common area to see Beluga whales (we didn't see any, but Krista, Paul, Betzy & Karen saw some when they had been down that way prior to the tour). Three years ago, when the Princess motorcoach took us that way, the tide had been out. It looked TOTALLY different with the tide out. Totally different!

We stopped at an area called Bird Point, that had a lookout area over the Arm and the Cook inlet. We spent quite a bit of time there, just looking at & taking pictures of the gorgeous views.

ABDAlaska1650.jpg

There was also a guy there with a high-powered telescope who had spotted a bear in the surrounding mountains, and was letting people use his scope to look at it. Very nice! It was a really beautiful area, and a wonderful way to break up the drive. (Honestly, it's a destination all its own, and should be officially on the itinerary. I loved it!) The views and the weather were, yep, SPECTACULAR!

ABDAlaska1663.jpg

ABDAlaska1634.jpg

ABDAlaska1668.jpg

I really just loved that Tony & Nancy always held hands. You don't see that a lot any more, and I thought it very romantic and sweet...

We finally made it to our hotel in Girdwood, on the Kenai Peninsula, The Hotel Alyeska.

ABDAlaska1699.jpg

The hotel is just beautiful. It's nestled into a hillside (it's a ski lodge in the winter, with its own trails). The grounds are really pretty, and the Hotel is impressive. We all got window rooms, although a lot of the rooms were kind of oddly configured, and had odd windows. But the rooms were very nicely decorated & comfortable, and the views were not to be sneezed at!

ABDAlaska1673.jpg

ABDAlaska1681.jpg

ABDAlaska1716.jpg

We had the rest of the day on our own. Dinner was, however, included. This night would have been the Jr Adventurer's dinner if we'd had Jr Adventurers. Instead, we just had the option to eat dinner at one of the Hotel restaurants at our leisure (off a fixed menu). I spent some time wandering the grounds, and the area around the hotel, taking pictures and enjoying the weather.

ABDAlaska1705.jpg

I then made my way back to my room, and met Sherry on the way up. We agreed to meet for dinner after we'd cleaned up.

Sherry & I had a table right by the window, with a fabulous view of the grounds of the hotel. We had arrived in Girdwood during their Fungus Festival :-)D) and so we watched the goings-on on the grounds for the festival. There was a woman dancing by the bandstand, who danced (rather - um - freely? enthusiastically? badly?) the entire time we were there, only stopping when the band left. She certainly had a lot of energy if not much skill! Dinner was very nice. I had the halibut, and Sherry had the steak.

ABDAlaska1731.jpg

Very tasty indeed! And a lovely presentation!

Day 5 -- Fins & Feathers

This day had one of the activities I was *really* looking forward to -- a cruise of the Kenai Fjords. On my 2006 trip, this cruise had been an option as an excursion during the land portion of the tour. I chose to do a hike of the Russian River instead. While the hike was really great, and I totally enjoyed it, everyone who came back from the Kenai Fjords cruise just raved about it. So one of the few things I regretted was not having taken the chance to do that cruise. I was pretty happy when I saw that the ABD tour did this cruise. It really was like I was *meant* to take this tour!

The cruise did not disappoint! We headed down to Seward, and boarded the catamaran, the Aialik Voyager.

ABDAlaska1735.jpg

Our ABD group got to pre-board the ship before the general public, and selected our seats (we took up most of the enclosed upstairs area) and got a bit of an orientation by the skipper. (Much of the downstairs was enclosed, also, but it wasn't as nice as the upstairs).

ABDAlaska2004.jpg

We could move freely in and out of the enclosed area, but people respected that we had "saved" seats, and it was nice to have them as a base of operations.

Lunch was a pretty simple box lunch (sandwich, chips, cookie. Rae & Jesse had made sure to get low-sugar cookies & snacks for me. I really appreciated it, and it turned out Tony needed them, too!)

Just as we were leaving the marina, the boat stopped, and we saw 2 otters just hanging out in the water. Talk about the life! They just floated along, rolling with the waves, playing with each other. Adorable!

ABDAlaska1760.jpg

We also saw sea lions & seals, and though at the time I knew the difference between the two, I'm not sure now which pics are of which....

I *think* these are the Stellar sea lions.

( I love the one towards the bottom of the first pic... just languishing on the rocks...)

ABDAlaska1810.jpg

ABDAlaska1808.jpg

and these are the Harbor seals...

ABDAlaska2050.jpg

Very majestic (and noisy!) and fun to watch!

The area (including Resurrection Bay) was absolutely gorgeous, and very dramatic and spectacular. The water was a beautiful greenish-blue, and some areas were shrouded in mist; others were crystal clear in the sparkling sunlight.

ABDAlaska1763.jpg

ABDAlaska1766.jpg

ABDAlaska1778.jpg

ABDAlaska1780.jpg

ABDAlaska1786.jpg

The captain started taking us towards the Aialik Glacier, but stopped by a tall island, and pointed out to us a VERY unexpected bit of wildlife -- black bears! I had to zoom quite a bit to get these pics, but there they were! Looked like momma & baby. Folks figured they must have swum to the island.

ABDAlaska1837.jpg

ABDAlaska1838.jpg

ABDAlaska1847.jpg

Continued in Part 5: Continuation of Day 5.

sayhello, I've been enjoying your report and I was going to save my comments until the end but had to say these photos are stunning. You had absolutely gorgeous weather! Lucky you.:woohoo:
We didn't do the Kenai when we were there a few years ago but if we ever go back that will be on the top of our list.
Looking forward to the rest of the journey! Thanks for letting us see it through your experiences.

Sayhello, I finally had a chance to check out your trip report. I must say your pictures are fantastic! The weather looked pretty nice...I mean "Spectacular". Glad you had a great time and joined the 10% club, and I'm looking forward to reading about the rest of the trip. Thanks to you...this trip is now on my growing list of trips to be taken. I was hoping to wait until I retire to see Alaska, but that is too far away.

Say Hello!
I absolutely love the bear pictures! That must have been so exciting. I am also enjoying your descriptions. I can tell how much you loved learning about Alaska.

sayhello, I've been enjoying your report and I was going to save my comments until the end but had to say these photos are stunning. You had absolutely gorgeous weather! Lucky you.:woohoo:
We didn't do the Kenai when we were there a few years ago but if we ever go back that will be on the top of our list.
Looking forward to the rest of the journey! Thanks for letting us see it through your experiences.
Thanks, redzinner! :teeth: I'm glad you were moved to comment!!! And thanks for the compliments.

We DID have gorgeous weather, and I KNOW how lucky we were; it just as easily (easier!) could have been wet and rainy and cold. We were really blessed! :goodvibes

More entries soon! I enjoy sharing all this, I'm glad you're enjoying the sharing, too!

Sayhello, I finally had a chance to check out your trip report. I must say your pictures are fantastic! The weather looked pretty nice...I mean "Spectacular". Glad you had a great time and joined the 10% club, and I'm looking forward to reading about the rest of the trip. Thanks to you...this trip is now on my growing list of trips to be taken. I was hoping to wait until I retire to see Alaska, but that is too far away.
Thanks, Diskidatheart! :teeth: Yep! It was SPECTACULAR! :rotfl2:

More Report coming *soon*! Heheheheheh (*laughs evilly, as her diabolical plot to get everyone to go to Alaska begins to work!*)

Say Hello!
I absolutely love the bear pictures! That must have been so exciting. I am also enjoying your descriptions. I can tell how much you loved learning about Alaska.
The bears were an unexpected treat! The captain of the ship was very surprised -- bears are not the type of wildlife they normally see on this trip! I loved being in Alaska, and I loved learning about Alaska, and I loved documenting Alaska with my photos...

Sayhello

I have been away from the boards for a week or so but I am loving your reports! And since it was cloudy and rainy every single day we were in Alaska, it is nice to see your photos as well to see some of the things that we missed! (The weather was so bad and the water so choppy on the Kenai boat trip that the captain turned around about half way out, but only after nearly everyone on the boat---fortunately not my daughter or me---had gotten sick...I think Rae will never forget that day!) We had a great time, despite the weather (although at times the rain provided its own cozy and very atmospheric ambience, it is nevertheless good to see the other side of what the weather can be...)

Thanks for the great reports!!!!!!!

Those are some amazing pictures! I'm loving your report (as usual!)
kristilew, SO glad you're enjoying the report. Thanks! :) More SOON!

I have been away from the boards for a week or so but I am loving your reports! And since it was cloudy and rainy every single day we were in Alaska, it is nice to see your photos as well to see some of the things that we missed! (The weather was so bad and the water so choppy on the Kenai boat trip that the captain turned around about half way out, but only after nearly everyone on the boat---fortunately not my daughter or me---had gotten sick...I think Rae will never forget that day!) We had a great time, despite the weather (although at times the rain provided its own cozy and very atmospheric ambience, it is nevertheless good to see the other side of what the weather can be...)

Thanks for the great reports!!!!!!!
I wish there was some way I could give gorgeous weather to everyone who took this tour! That's really too bad about the Kenai cruise, too. I really wanted to do that, and I get so seasick. Fortunately, my doctor prescribed me the Patch, and it worked great! I hope you enjoy the rest of the report! (Especially the river float day. I have a feeling you'll like that one!)

Sayhello

Very nice pictures. Thanks for sharing. Maybe in a few years I will have time to put mine up.

Very nice pictures. Thanks for sharing. Maybe in a few years I will have time to put mine up.
Thank you! :goodvibes

Do it! Post your pictures! I'd love to see them (although I can hardly talk -- I'm MONTHS behind in posting my latest report!)

Sayhello

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter