Trip For $2500?

The flights are always the most expensive thing. If you are looking at vacation based on school holidays then I would probably lean toward next March as you would have time to really look for cheaper flights/offers/ and book lower cost accomodation or look for FD etc. Trying to rush for Thanksgiving now seems like a tough job, although the decorations are beautiful. Maybe Christmas might be easier if you fly out or back on Xmas day. Just a thought. Also, I think there is still FD if you check in on Dec 20th.
I have 2 teens, so believe me, cost wise, I feel your pain.:wizard:

I don't think it's realistic. We fly out of PDX also during non-peak timeframe and it is costing us $3900 including staying at POR (7days/6nights), dining, tickets and flight. Surprisingly, booking directly through Disney gave us the best deal on flights (around $1300 for 4 of us to fly from PDX to MCO - I had an AK Air companion fare and couldn't even get close to this amount including that!)

I think the biggest issue is the airfare. We met our family from Portland this summer at Disney. I watched the prices for months and they bought flights for around $500 each. It might be cheaper in the fall/winter than the summer. I would second the opinion of Bonnet Creek or renting a condo in Windsor Hills. Bonnet Creek is a great location and we have enjoyed staying at Windsor Hills.

Good Luck!!!

Just remember if you stay offsite that you might end up having to pay for airport transfers or a rental car (and parking fees) that you would not need if staying onsite. Add those costs in.

Just a tip as a fellow Portlander; Jetblue has a recently introduced flight from PDX to Boston to MCO. It's been hundreds of dollars cheaper than our previously booked flights through JFK in mid September due to its newness. Like $360 roundtrip with taxes last I checked.

Sooo, I'm not sure it will still be cheaper in November (and Jetblue's website isn't working properly at the moment for me to check) but it's definitely something to check out!

Just a tip as a fellow Portlander; Jetblue has a recently introduced flight from PDX to Boston to MCO. It's been hundreds of dollars cheaper than our previously booked flights through JFK in mid September due to its newness. Like $360 roundtrip with taxes last I checked.

Sooo, I'm not sure it will still be cheaper in November (and Jetblue's website isn't working properly at the moment for me to check) but it's definitely something to check out!

Odd, but good for you Portlanders, JetBlue is great to fly SLC to S CA/LGB but super expensive to fly to MCO *and I think you go up to NY 1st. Maybe someday prices will go down, I do like JetBlue.

Would you be willing to Priceline bid for flights at the last minute. I am pretty successful in doing that.
Also, I noticed when we went on our cruise that flying into Tampa was much cheaper, from here at least, than into Orlando.

If you are flying and renting a car Tampa would be a better fit for you. Also is your spring break at Easter or a certain week of the year? If it is not the week of Easter you might find some great discounts.

Yeah, Jetblue can even be good if you're just going to JFK. But as I realized on my first Disney World trip my favorite airline gets expensive when going from PDX to MCO!

I was super surprised when I was seeing such low prices to MCO, especially when they had their 20% off sale last week. I've honestly been semi-peeved about it. It could have saved us almost $400 if we had waited and booked our flights late! (that's almost 4 extra Disney days for us as a couple in a value hotel!)

Try playing around with the dates and airports a bit, as a previous poster said flying in or out on the holiday can sometimes be cheaper. If your kids can miss a day off possibly try flights a day earlier or a day later. Try surrounding airports near home and Disney and if you decide to stay offsite and rent a car mousesavers has discount codes to use for the different rental car companies. Restaurant.com offers deals on purchasing gift certificates at a discount, ask on the budget boards and they will tell you the good places to go to. Good luck with your trip planning. Linda :)

We are a family of 7 and I have a rule that I never spend more than $2500 (I try to keep it to $2000) on any one week vacation. I am an extreme deal shopper.

Sign up for the southwest visa , there is a thread on here somewhere about it - 50,000 points afte first purchase. If you and hubby both get one separately, that is 100,000 - although you may be able to squeeze 4 rt flights into 50,000 points given your dates. $100 annual fee, but you can cancel before the second year and that is still a good deal. You won't be able to get discounted YES tickets because of the dates you are looking at...but I still think you c ould squeeze it in under $2500 if you get the airfare offer.

Is it possible to do a trip for $2500 or less? A family of four (two adults, two teens), flying out of PDX. I am thinking, week of Thanksgiving or sometime during Christmas break. Spring break is also a possibility, which is the last full week in March. That could knock of a person. We would like to stay on property, but we could stay off if that is the only way it will work.

Thoughts?

We are also from Oregon and a family of 4. We have done WDW a few times at less than $2500. Last year we stayed at a Value resort on free dining during Christmas break for 5 nights 6 days for just under $1500 dollars plus airfare from PDX to MCO. It can totally be done. This year we are opting to go to Disneyland just because the airfare to MCO is crazy expensive during December.

I'm using the SW airlines Visa and Rapid Rewards to get free flights. As others said, it was like 50,000 points after first purchase. That's worth about $833. Mine has a $69 annual fee, but I get 3000 each year to help offset that cost. I'm up to over 67,000 now. I've added to my points by doing surveys through e-Rewards when I have the time. You can only do that through an invite, which I got by email. There really are a lot of opportunities to get more points.

I also have a Disney Visa through Chase. I put "everything" on it and pay it off the same month to avoid fees. I currently have almost $400 from that.

If you stayed at POP or one of the AS, you could maybe do it. If your school district starts after labor day, they usually offer free dining the last week of August and it's the second value season. My DD just started high school, so that's one of the times we're currently considering (although it sounds hot!)

If you rent DVC points, I think from the times you're considering Thanksgiving would be best (???) But airfare would be crazy. You can use this to figure out points needed: http://www.dvcrequest.com/PointsCalcNew/PointsCalc.asp

Our first trip with the kids in 2006, we were on a tight budget and had no dining plan. We stayed at All Star Sports. We saved on food by bringing some in our suitcase -- (pop tarts, bread, peanut butter, chips, granola bars, trail mix, juice boxes, etc.) We got refillable mugs and used them to carry drinks with us to the parks (in capped "water bottles" that we brought.) We ate breakfast in our room and packed a lunch and snacks for the parks. We ate one QS meal a day, the portions are enough to share; used the Planet Hollywood voucher for a sit down meal. It wasn't bad.

I found that money saved using ME express and Disney Transportation (no rental car or parking fees) offset the savings of staying offsite.

I didn't mean to write so much :laughing: Good luck planning!

We have done a week for 4 (2 adults/2 kids), including EVERYTHING, for $2500. But...

...it was offseason (January)
...DDP was free
...we were flying from MI not the West Coast

The second time we took the kids it was $3000, thanks to increases in airfare and changes to the DDP.

So it MAY be possible, but you will most likely have to change your dates to offseason. Airfare is going to be peak prices for the dates you are looking at, as well as WDW prices will be peak.

Maybe you wcould have your kids miss a day +/- what the school vacation days are? that way they will miss some school and it may not be excused but they are only missing a day or two, and could be saving you big $.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter