Trick-or-Treaters Over Age 12 Can Face Arrest

Discussion in 'Community Board' started by RedAngie, Oct 10, 2018.

1. RedAngie

RedAngie 80's New Wave Girl

The city of Chesapeake, Virginia has an ordinance stating any kid over the age of 12 who is caught trick-or-treating can face fines and up to six months in jail. Moreover, even kids 12 and under face the same penalties if caught ToT after 8 pm.

https://abc7ny.com/society/children...-for-trick-or-treating-in-some-towns/4450665/

I'd raise the age limit to 14. But by the time kids are in high school, there's no reason to go trick-or-treating. Whatever happened to the good old days when you went over to some friend's house and sneaked cigarettes and booze from their parents' liquor cabinet? ;)

2. danielocha30

danielocha30 DIS Veteran

well that will go just fine for disable kids. What a stupid ordinance, let them be kids for a little longer, if they are not abusing the ToT in costume and having a good time why stop them?

karensi, Turksmom, olwyngdh and 19 others like this.
  3. Avatar

Advertisement

4. DisneyOma

DisneyOma DIS Veteran

What does being disabled have to do with it?

But I agree that it's an absolutely ridiculous ordinance. I give out candy to any kids out there that come to my house in costume. We do have strict times though in our little city, and for the most part people stick to it.

I do see if there was a problem with older kids getting out of hand - but why not just have a school event for them? Or at least tell the candy-givers to call police if there's a problem? Why punish all older kids because some are little ****s?

karensi, gemini2727, LilyWDW and 6 others like this.
  5. dotfurio

dotfurio DIS Veteran

That's crazy. I don't mind teens ToT at all. There's worse things they could be out doing. If I'm done handing out candy for the night I shut off the lights. We don't get very many ToTers here, though. Maybe if we were overwhelmed with Tot I'd feel differently about time/age rules.

6. sailorstitch

sailorstitch DIS Veteran

But what about the older kids that want to trick or treat through high school because they love dressing up and are too uncool/unpopular to be invited to parties?

7. _19disnA

_19disnA Mouseketeer

Curious how you enforce such a rule. Doubt that kids that age carry an ID with them.

DisLiss, OhDannyBoy, Turksmom and 4 others like this.
  8. jiminyC_fan

jiminyC_fan DIS Veteran

Totally ridiculous. Government now taking over trick or treating? Anyone, any age, child, teen, adult is welcome at my door. No costume necessary. Why must there be rules for everything nowadays. Would they rather have the teens out TPing and/or egging?

DisLiss, OhDannyBoy, JLiz and 22 others like this.
  9. danielocha30

danielocha30 DIS Veteran

How do you plan to handle a disable 13 yrold example Angelmans, Autism, Down syndrome, or any other cognitive disability. Children’s with these and other conditions might enjoy trick or treating still beyond 12. In any case my point is the ordinance establishes a age for being a kid and doing kid stuff

jodifla likes this.
  10. hereyago

hereyago DIS Veteran

Lol, that is old news to me. I used to live in one of the "seven cities" which included Chesapeake, Newport news, Hampton etc And when I was 12 in Newport news it was the last year I could do it.

Does it deter? Not really. The police aren't in force to round kids up.

But every year they say it.

11. jiminyC_fan

jiminyC_fan DIS Veteran

My 13 year old grandson is mentally 3-5 years old. He lives for Halloween. It is his favorite time of year and holiday. He is already punished in life why take some thing innocent like ToT away from him?.

12. mamamary

mamamary DIS Veteran

Everyone welcome at my house also.

13. HopperFan

HopperFan "It's a bug-eat-bug world out there, princess."

If your town has gotten to the point
    that your ToT problems are so big
    you've lowered yourselves
    to arresting children
    in costumes enjoying a
    harmless holiday tradition .......
    .. just mandate there will be NO ToT.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2018
    DisLiss, Turksmom, gwynne and 4 others like this.
  14. Meriweather

Meriweather Being a Nana is my superpower

no...no

I love trick-or-treaters.
    In an old neighborhood of ours adults would dress up and go trick-or-treating with their wine glasses......so fun

15. cinnaminny

cinnaminny Mouseketeer

That's messed up. I'll give candy to anyone, I don't care.

16. Kimberle

Kimberle WL Vet

Ridiculous! The gov't has no business being involved. Don't they have criminals to chase or taxes to collect?!?!

Let kids be kids as long as possible. Around here, kids trick or treat through high school. If someone doesn't want to give candy to them, they just don't answer the door.

17. Kitty 34

Kitty 34 Hums in her sleep

I live in a college town and some of our Trick or Treaters were college age. I had no issues as I had no issues with our high schoolers and older middle schoolers. My goodness, why are people so afraid of "kids" over 12??? :confused3

jevs, Turksmom, PollyannaMom and 6 others like this.
  18. ShayBells

ShayBells Let's get dangerous.

This is stupid. I went trick or treating in high school. I never remember it being a problem. I’d rather have my kid trick or treating than partying.

And to say up to 6 months in jail for doing it. Beyond ridiculous.

Let kids be kids for as long as possible. The adult life and responsibilities comes on way too quick.

19. loves to dive

loves to dive DIS Veteran

I don't mind them, I do prefer they have costumes on but as long as my light is on, I'll give candy to anyone. I sort of dress up to hand out candy and our little yorkie wears her costume as well. Last year I wore one of the masks I got in Italy at Epcot and even the teenagers were a little scared of it. They would walk down our walkway stopping and looking back. I would just stand in the door and not say anything until they got down to the road then step back and shut the door.

20. tcufrog

tcufrog DIS Veteran

Some of the best costumes I've seen when answering the door were worn by teens.

21. Hikergirl

Hikergirl DIS Veteran

Thank goodness those people were voted in to office. We need laws on the books like this to protect us from evil 12 year olds dressing up and asking for candy.