Trick-or-Treaters Over Age 12 Can Face Arrest

RedAngie

Sea Level Lady
The city of Chesapeake, Virginia has an ordinance stating any kid over the age of 12 who is caught trick-or-treating can face fines and up to six months in jail. Moreover, even kids 12 and under face the same penalties if caught ToT after 8 pm.

https://abc7ny.com/society/children...-for-trick-or-treating-in-some-towns/4450665/

I'd raise the age limit to 14. But by the time kids are in high school, there's no reason to go trick-or-treating. Whatever happened to the good old days when you went over to some friend's house and sneaked cigarettes and booze from their parents' liquor cabinet? ;)

well that will go just fine for disable kids. What a stupid ordinance, let them be kids for a little longer, if they are not abusing the ToT in costume and having a good time why stop them?

What does being disabled have to do with it?

But I agree that it's an absolutely ridiculous ordinance. I give out candy to any kids out there that come to my house in costume. We do have strict times though in our little city, and for the most part people stick to it.

I do see if there was a problem with older kids getting out of hand - but why not just have a school event for them? Or at least tell the candy-givers to call police if there's a problem? Why punish all older kids because some are little ****s?

That's crazy. I don't mind teens ToT at all. There's worse things they could be out doing. If I'm done handing out candy for the night I shut off the lights. We don't get very many ToTers here, though. Maybe if we were overwhelmed with Tot I'd feel differently about time/age rules.

Totally ridiculous. Government now taking over trick or treating? Anyone, any age, child, teen, adult is welcome at my door. No costume necessary. Why must there be rules for everything nowadays. Would they rather have the teens out TPing and/or egging?

What does being disabled have to do with it?

But I agree that it's an absolutely ridiculous ordinance. I give out candy to any kids out there that come to my house in costume. We do have strict times though in our little city, and for the most part people stick to it.

I do see if there was a problem with older kids getting out of hand - but why not just have a school event for them? Or at least tell the candy-givers to call police if there's a problem? Why punish all older kids because some are little ****s?
How do you plan to handle a disable 13 yrold example Angelmans, Autism, Down syndrome, or any other cognitive disability. Children’s with these and other conditions might enjoy trick or treating still beyond 12. In any case my point is the ordinance establishes a age for being a kid and doing kid stuff

Lol, that is old news to me. I used to live in one of the "seven cities" which included Chesapeake, Newport news, Hampton etc And when I was 12 in Newport news it was the last year I could do it.

Does it deter? Not really. The police aren't in force to round kids up.

But every year they say it.

If your town has gotten to the point
that your ToT problems are so big
you've lowered yourselves
to arresting children
in costumes enjoying a
harmless holiday tradition .......
.. just mandate there will be NO ToT.

Last edited:
The city of Chesapeake, Virginia has an ordinance stating any kid over the age of 12 who is caught trick-or-treating can face fines and up to six months in jail. Moreover, even kids 12 and under face the same penalties if caught ToT after 8 pm.

https://abc7ny.com/society/children...-for-trick-or-treating-in-some-towns/4450665/

I'd raise the age limit to 14. But by the time kids are in high school, there's no reason to go trick-or-treating. Whatever happened to the good old days when you went over to some friend's house and sneaked cigarettes and booze from their parents' liquor cabinet? ;)

Ridiculous! The gov't has no business being involved. Don't they have criminals to chase or taxes to collect?!?!

Let kids be kids as long as possible. Around here, kids trick or treat through high school. If someone doesn't want to give candy to them, they just don't answer the door.

This is stupid. I went trick or treating in high school. I never remember it being a problem. I’d rather have my kid trick or treating than partying.

And to say up to 6 months in jail for doing it. Beyond ridiculous.

Let kids be kids for as long as possible. The adult life and responsibilities comes on way too quick.

I don't mind them, I do prefer they have costumes on but as long as my light is on, I'll give candy to anyone. I sort of dress up to hand out candy and our little yorkie wears her costume as well. Last year I wore one of the masks I got in Italy at Epcot and even the teenagers were a little scared of it. They would walk down our walkway stopping and looking back. I would just stand in the door and not say anything until they got down to the road then step back and shut the door.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!